Author Topic: Jicama Hashbrown Casserole  (Read 12113 times)

owensmath

Jicama Hashbrown Casserole
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »
Jicama Hashbrown Casserole

2 cups shredded jicama (10 g carbs)
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (0 carbs – shred your own cheese if you can’t find 0 carb cheese and you want to not add any extra carbs)
3 T sour cream  (1.5 g carbs)
2 T butter or margarine (0 g carbs)
salt, pepper, parsley …. Other seasoning to taste…

Shred the jicama and then microwave it for 5 minutes to soften it. Mix all other ingredients with the jicama except for enough of the cheese to sprinkle on the top of the mixture. Pour mixture into an 8 x 8 greased glass pan. It will not be very deep when you spread it out in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

11.5 g carbs divided by 4 servings = 2.875 g per serving

I served my hashbrown casserole with baked ham and steamed broccoli for dinner. The next day, I had leftover ham and hashbrown casserole all mixed together. You can add onions if you don't mind the extra carbs.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jicama Hashbrown Casserole
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
You do the best casseroles!YUMMY! ;)

mmcooks1234

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
i used 'riced' cauliflower instead and upped the cheese to 1 cup with garlic salt and onion powder.  Very tasty. Looked more like mashed potatoes though.
DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.

joagain

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »
I am going to make this tommorrow

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
Since I can't find jicama around here, I wonder if turnips would be a good substitute?
They sure make a good "french fry" replacement. ;D
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
I got to try those tony do they taste like fries or just replace them Jicama almost taste like fries they are just a little softer .kinda like a soggy fry

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
Turnips make great fries Jo.  I had them deep fried and even my husband like them.  I also do this recipe that Owensmath posted before:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crispy-Turnip-Fries/Detail.aspx.  I turn them halfway through and cook them longer than the recipe says so they crisp up better.  Both ways are delicious.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:28:02 AM by ShihTzuMom1 »

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
Donna!  I made the hashbrown casserole tonight with my big ole jicama!  That one jicama made SIX cups shredded!  :o   I doubled the recipe, and froze 2 cups of the shreds for later.  It was really good!  Unlike potatoes it still had a little crunch to it, but I liked it!  (Since I doubled it, I might should have microwaved it for longer than 5 minutes before I mixed it up to bake.)   I had it with the baked parmesan tilapia.  Got a happy tummy right now!!!   ;D     

I took pictures, but I have NO idea how to post them on the forum.  :(   I'll put them on facebook and ask my kid to help me when she gets home!  ha ha