Author Topic: Fell off the FTS wagon. Feeling hopeless. Should I re-start?  (Read 7921 times)

lowcarbnic

• View Profile
Fell off the FTS wagon. Feeling hopeless. Should I re-start?
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:07:47 PM »
I fell off the wagon and binged for 3 days and of course gained back what I lost on FTS plus more. I feel hopeless, ashamed, stupid and mad at myself.

I don't know what happened. I was doing great and even posted about how easy this was becoming for me and then suddenly I was craving all of these low carb sweets and my appetite became out of control.  I was tracking everything I ate at fatsecret.com which was not only becoming time consuming but obsessive as well.  It just all started to drive me crazy.

Now I am left wondering this...

Is FTS just another plan that doesn't work for me, or can I just not tolerate sweeteners because they bring out my sweet tooth. I'm always ok for a few days having a bit and then I want more and more.

I don't know if I should give up all together or if I should re-try this but WITHOUT treats.

Now that I am up 6lbs I should have been happy where I was at with a 2lb loss.

So upset, sad and depressed. :-(

owensmath

Re: Fell off the FTS wagon. Feeling hopeless. Should I re-start?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:16:36 PM »
First of all, give yourself a break. Tomorrow is a new day! We all mess up, but we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and regroup. This is do-able. I have tried so many diets in my lifetime, it's pathetic. I lost weight on weight watchers and then gained it all back plus more. I lost weight going to Curves and following their eating plan and then gained it all back. This is just something that you have to realize is NOT a restrictive diet. When you crave something, make it in a FTS friendly recipe and enjoy SOME of it. It's hard to start learning portion control, but you will eventually get the hang of it. At that point, the self pride that you feel for making a great choice will "taste" better than having more of the low carb treat you enjoyed. The loss of control is not a good feeling: been there, done that!  If you "quit," what will you do? Go back to eating crap and gain MORE weight? I know this can become a lifestyle that is easier. I have been doing this since mid April, and just in the last month I have really done fantastic with portion control and only eating when I'm hungry.
Not one of us started this program and had a perfect run with it. It takes time to make this a lifestyle. You CAN do this!

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
unfortunately or fortunately i cant add anything to what Donna just said:) Nicky you already know the alternative:(

gonnagetthere

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
Nicky I am new just been here 2 1/2 weeks but I think when you are new yu need to saty away from food sthat might trigger you . Mine happens to be bread anything like that . So I was doing gereat & then I made the spinach bread & guess what I liked ,BUT it also triggered the fat head to say " That is good but oh how I miss my bread " I didnt eat any but I knew Tha t I needed to throw that away .

I think when you are new stick to meat eggs cheese & salad . That is just might thought .Hope it helps ,we have only one alternative and that is to get bigger .

owensmath

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »
I understand what you are saying about sticking to meat, cheese, and eggs. That may be a great strategy for some, but I was the opposite. Knowing that I could have ANYTHING I wanted by substituting healthy alternatives for sugar and other high carb ingredients helped me to stick to the lifestyle at the beginning. If you see some of my earlier posts, I was going nuts making new foods, including key lime cheesecake! My strategy was this: I ate a small portion of it, and I took much of it to work to share with my coworkers. The more I shared, the less I had available to eat.

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:22:19 PM »
I too have been on so many different diets or whatever they wanted to call them. I have done the pills, injections, shakes and anything that said would help me.. Though Atkins has the low carbs treats, I decided a while ago to stay away from them because I too realize that it brought the sweet tooth out, (that little devil) so to make things easier, I stayed away from it all together with the exception of splenda in my am coffee.

At first it was a little hard but that is because sugar mimics withdraw symptoms in my opinion, but once you detox your body, you are on a good path.. 

Its ok to fall as long as you NEVER FORGET TO GET UP AGAIN. 

One of the things that I think will help me soooooo much is the forum because I know that I am not doing it alone and can get that support that I know I will need.

I know you have what it takes and you need to remember you do too.   ;)
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

gonnagetthere

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 06:37:37 PM »
Yes we all have trigger foods some or weaker then others that is great owensmath that you were able to eat a little and be happy , maybe your addittion was not as strong ,or maybe you are just stronger I know that I am not ready to have a taste test of everything I love & seems that Nic is not ready either . Stay strong get up in the morning to a new day and dont eat anything that may trigger you just wait till all that sugar is out of your system .

Today is almost over tommorrow is a new day !
  FAT TO SKINNY teachs us that we need to
  EAT TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO EAT !

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
Nic...I want you to listen to me.....I'm going to give you a reality slap.... you are an addict, a drunk, a druggie, all on SUGAR. I mean that literally. If you recall I cover this in book. SUGAR is as addictive as heroin, meth, alcohol.....SUGAR releases dopamine, the same feel good hormone that these other substances release and at similar quantities into your brain. This is not your fault but you must face the reality of it as we all do, addiction is addiction and it all needs to be dealt with the same way......cold turkey! Spend the rest of the night whining and feeling sorry for yourself...hell go eat a tub of Häagen-Dazs  if that's what it takes to make you angry  >:( >:( enough to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! >:( >:( then, tomorrow, come back into the loving arms of your fellow addicts so we can all help you succeed.

We are all in the same boat paddling up the same river.....grab an oar and paddle!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
woo hoo..Doug I said something similar to that without reading the book.. (regarding the withdraws) yay 
I look forward to reading the book
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

lowcarbnic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
I agree 1000% but I thought I could handle the sugar free treats the way you guys seem to here but clearly I am not only addicted to real sugar but I am also addicted to the fake sugar as well.  

I already know full well that the real sugar is lethal to me but now I have to realize that the substitute stuff is also dangerous for me too.  

Now I have to get off of EVERYTHING exept protein, nuts, cheese, veggies and berries and deal with it. It's not the end of the world or anything but I have to break through this urge for something sweet and when all of you talk about your sugar free jello, whipped cream, bars or whatever I have to ignore it and realize that for me... it will only lead to trouble.  I have to eat clean, sugar free and low carb and I should be ok.

Thanks for listening, and supporting me.

Nic

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »
Atta Girl! You have made the correct assumptions and choices. In time you'll be able to sneak some sugar free candy into the mix but lets get your brain re programmed first.

HUGZ from Doug
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

toddy44

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 08:56:02 PM »
Hi Nic, you are stronger than you think.  You have just admitted to everyone here that you are an addict.  That's the first step.
I am 100% in agreeance with the give it up cold turkey.  I went through some really awful withdrawals and I am not going back there again.
I too went gung ho and went and baked stuff, made some of the extras that everyone talks about here, but what us newbies have to take a step back and realise is that most on here who have had healthy weight losses can slowly start bringing treats like low sugar candies into their lives.  I do not have a sweet tooth, so that doesn't bother me, but I'm with Jo, I miss the simplicity of bread (maybe not as bad as Jo does....lol), but feel on occasion I'm missing out.  This week (after 1 lb gain after being good for the last week) so I have not been having the spinach bread, or the tortillas everyday because I need to learn some more lessons first.  We are all just in a hurry to see great results methinks.  Patience is something I don't have, but I'm learning, thanks to the Guru (Doug) ....lol
Linda

gonnagetthere

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »
THats kinda what I said Linda I think we think alike . No I have a SERIOUS problem with bread or bread products . If I smell it I am afraid . I am getting stronger everyday  ! Sweeys is not my problem never has been it has always been starchy food cakes rolls bread more bread . LOL you get the point . :-X

owensmath

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »
I learned that I can enjoy the SMELL of bread baking without having to eat it to enjoy it. We enjoy the smell of flowers and don't have to  eat them to enjoy them. When I had this realization, it was life changing! I have learned to smell things that I can't eat and just enjoy the smell of them. It was like a lightbulb went off in my head.

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
There's really not much I can add that has not already been said.  We are all here for you and each other and this is truly a judgment-free place to be.  We have all dealt with the same demon you are dealing with. I had a terrible addiction to sugar, once I started eating it I could not stop.  Don't seem to have that problem with the sugar replacements but I still try to limit how much I eat and do better some days than others.  The main thing is just keep going and you will get there with small strides.  It is really not easy for any of us, some lose weight faster than others but the main thing is to not give up.  You will be in my prayers!

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2