Author Topic: Katary Bakery Sunflower Seed Crackers  (Read 41505 times)

beebs

• View Profile
Re: Katary Bakery Sunflower Seed Crackers
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 01:24:46 PM »
I think it has something to do with the way they are proccessed.  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
Does netrition deliver to Canada?

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »
Yes, Netrition will ship to Canada but the shipping costs become quite high. And, netrition only has NOW brand sunflower seeds which are 10.6 carbs per cup. I can't find any source for David's seeds. I still don't understand how they can claim only 4 carbs per cup. Maybe the label is wrong. Anyway, today I found some sunflower seeds that are 6 carbs per cup, so I will try them. Unfortunately they are salted so I'll have to rinse them first.

joagain

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
Try the flax crackers they are easy to make and 0 carb

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
Downeast are you subtracting fiber?

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »
Yes, I am subtracting fibre.
NOW brand label for kernels says 6 g carb - 4 g fibre = 2 carbs per 3 Tbsp, which is 10.6 carbs per cup.
Bob's Red Mill for kernels says 6 g carb - 3 g fibre = 3 carbs per 1/4 cup, which is 12 carbs per cup. (my previous post of 16 per cup was wrong.)
The ones I just bought say 6 g carbs - 4 g fibre = 2 g carbs per 1/3 cup, which is 6 carbs per cup. I guess that's the best I can find.

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
Yes, I am subtracting fibre.
NOW brand label for kernels says 6 g carb - 4 g fibre = 2 carbs per 3 Tbsp, which is 10.6 carbs per cup.
Bob's Red Mill for kernels says 6 g carb - 3 g fibre = 3 carbs per 1/4 cup, which is 12 carbs per cup. (my previous post of 16 per cup was wrong.)
The ones I just bought say 6 g carbs - 4 g fibre = 2 g carbs per 1/3 cup, which is 6 carbs per cup. I guess that's the best I can find.

This had me quite confused as well. Checking numerous sites, i.e., Calorie King, FitDay, Atkins, etc., I've checked so many boards where the nutritional values for food are available online and I am not able to come up with such a low carbohydrate count on sunflower kernels either. The values I'm finding are 5 net carbs and up per quarter cup. I contacted David's sunflower seeds 800-799-2800. They are a division of ConAgra Foods. The woman I spoke with three days ago was going to speak with a nutritionist and get back with me. The woman assured me that they are monitored federally and that their numbers are accurate.  :-\. In any event, since not hearing from them, I called them again and spoke with a Senior Agent. She said that she had just received an email this afternoon from their research department. She advised their seeds are comparable to their competitor's (i.e. Plantars, Spitz, Frito-Lay). I shared with her that their competitors values are at least double their values. She is going to do more research and get back with me next week sometime. I'll share with you what I find out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:19:53 PM by CaliGirl »
Jeremiah 29:11-14

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
Downest I have been looking for the lower carb sunflower seeds also.  I think I may have found the same as you.  I found it in a President's Choice store and it was with a display of nuts, candies, etc. that come in clear plastic containers.  Name brand was Stock & Barrel.  The unsalted roasted shelled sunflower seeds are 2net carbs per 1/3 cup.  I also found unsalted roasted shelled pumpkin seeds in the same spot that are 2 net carbs per 1/2 cup.  The pumpkin seeds may be an option if you are trying to keep down the carb count and may taste very good as well.

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
Thank you, Caligirl, for all your research. I'll be interested to hear what David's has to say about their carb count.

Yes, Shihtzumom, those are the seeds I found locally at a Valumart, which is a smalltown President's Choice. My store doesn't carry them unsalted, but I'll look for them and the pumpkin seeds when I get to the city to a "real" store.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2010, 10:10:16 PM »

I found locally at a Valumart, which is a smalltown President's Choice.
My store is a Valumart as well, gotta love small towns!!

CaliGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2010, 03:00:06 AM »
Update ---
Received a call from the Sr. Agent at David's this afternoon. She advised the labeling department told her that David's sunflower seeds are "4 carbs per 1/4 cup", and not to deduct for the fiber as everything had already been factored in. I reviewed with her how nutritional labels are generally read in the US and some of the differences between labeling in the US vs. Canada. She felt the disparity in the values may be based upon whether what was posted on their label was 'net carbs' versus 'total carbs'. We agreed that would certainly explain any differences in values from one company to another. This would make David's sunflower kernels the same value as their competitor's values.  While we spoke she was messaging someone in the labeling department. They agreed that further research on the subject was needed. She said she would call back next week with more information. I will try to get something in writing, via email or letter from David's to share with everyone.

I've always been a David's sunflower seed fan but even more so now because of their responsiveness and the attention they have given to this matter based on a consumer's request. I'm a nobody. David's is bending over backwards to supply accurate information.

Sorry this is lengthy. I don't know how else to provide an accurate record of the conversation without details, and leaving too much to inference.

Something to consider - using raw sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds raw organic 1 net carb per ounce) as opposed to processed/roasted seeds to make crackers? It would certainly yield more nutrition.

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
Bingo! I'm so glad you followed up on this, CaliGirl. Thanks for solving the mystery.  16 net carbs per cup is vastly different than the 4 net carbs per cup claimed in the sunflower cracker recipe. How unfortunate that there is no standard in labelling.
I wonder how many other products are labelled like this. Maybe we are encountering weight loss plateaus or weight backslides because we're eating carbs which are hidden by the labelling.

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »
Well katary got kroger brand sunflower seeds which I also have and that 4 carbs a cup still stands according to that label. Considering how much weight katary has lost Im goin with it.

CaliGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 09:23:02 AM »
Beebs
Maybe take a look here  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-kroger-salted-sunflower-kernels-549863

I think downeast is right, there are some real labeling problems.

Katary being a man could probably lose weight on 50 carbs a day if he chose to go that high. For women, especially those nearing or into menopause it may not be so simple.

Just something to consider --
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:24:44 AM by CaliGirl »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
Good work!!Well done. I have gotten to the point where I go straight to the ingredient list ,then the label, and then corporate headquarters.Once I tell them I work with Type 1 diabetics I can usually get a straight answer. I was shocked to find out from Schihtzumom the difference in labeling between canada and the united states. :)