Lean On My Shoulder > Bear Den

Oh God!... Did I Blow It Yesterday!!!

(1/4) > >>

mouseissue:
My wife and I went south to Portland to visit her folks yesterday.
Her brother flew in from Illinois for a visit as well.

Her dad has not been doing well health-wise the last couple of months.
He's in his late 70s with a host of health problems. He has also had 4 double-bypass heart surgeries in the last 20 years.
The last surgery was about a year ago.

Her mom and dad have always loved to hold family BBQs in the summer and do a great job of them too.
But when my brother-in-law flies in, they pull out all the stops!
Everyone is supportive of my FTS efforts.
But with my father-in-law's failing health, I guess it took a lower priority.

Well... I fell off the FTS wagon BIG TIME!!!  :( :( :( :( :(
Tried as I could... with all my might... but the temptations there were FAR to great to ignore.
I even brought along some low carb alternative foods (for example, cauliflower mashed "potatoes") in preparation.
I did not crave any the high carb items there. But I could not ignore them either!
There were only two things served that were not a problem; steaks and cheese slices (without the crackers).

Besides wonderful 2" thick BBQed rib eye steaks, there was local grown fresh corn of the cob, Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve beer, Oreo Double Stuff cookies, and Bananas Foster for dessert.
Unfortunately, I have a weak spot for ALL of those things!
I was in no way prepared for this uber-elevated level of temptation.

I estimate that I ingested about 580g of net carbs yesterday! That's just under a month's worth!!!
I gained exactly 1 lb. since yesterday morning. I thought it was going to weigh a lot more.

Anyway, I'm back on the wagon this morning.
But I still feel bummed out that yesterday, I collapsed like a house of cards in a hurricane!
I thought I could "resist" without any issues.
Guess I need a a lot more time on FTS to acquire the strength needed to resist temptation this great.
I have recommitted to FTS again today completely!

Has this happened to anybody else out there?
I sure would like to feel that I'm not alone.

I'm trying not to feel guilty... But it's tough not to.
Guess I was too overconfident.

I've got some chores to tend to right now.
But I'll check back in here in a while.

mouseissue:
Thanks owensmath!

As I said, I'm back on the "FTS wagon" today and even more committed and determined than ever to make this work.
I CANNOT allow ANY prospect of failure to enter into this endeavor!
I desperately NEED this to work!... For my health AND my life!!!

I was just wondering if anyone else out there ever had to face a setback like this.
If you've never had one, trust me on this, an early-on major setback like this can give you a lonely disappointed feeling.
But if no one wants to share, that's ok too. I will make do either way.

Phil:
Its a minor bump your not alone. The best thing to do is put it behind you and keep moving forward. It is very minor. You are fighting with a bad habit that has got us to the place we are today fighting with sugar and you cant change a thing you did yesterday, but you can sure make tomarrow a great day mouseissue don't sweat the past details. Stressing out only makes it harder. Tomarrow make your favorite f2s meal and enjoy the day! You are back on track or you wouldn't be here now.

mouseissue:
Phil,

You're right... It was just a bump in the road to getting healthy.
I guess by surviving these "bumps" makes the rest of the journey to being fit a bit easier to travel.
In other words, what doesn't defeat us only makes us stronger.

I will not fear (or even think about) such a "bump" happening again.
Because I know that if it does, I simply forgive myself, allow myself to get past it, and continue on down the FTS road to health.

Thank you and owensmath again for your helpful feedback!

BTW, I lost 1/2 pound (of the pound I gained) since yesterday.

chattycathie:
 ;) You are definitely not alone here.  I'm sure we all have had an occasion when doing FTS is just not feasible, desireable, do-able, etc.  Recently at my Granson's wedding, I ate.  It didn't set me back too far.  I just went right along with my FTS plans the next day.  This happens off and on for all of us.  Just don't beat yourself up about it.  You are doing great!  Look how far you've come.  You are an inspiration to us all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version