Author Topic: Gravy  (Read 6709 times)

downeast

• View Profile
Gravy
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
Hi Umpa; Is there a replacement for flour or cornstarch for making gravy? Thanks.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gravy
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:53:10 AM »
Yes i like xantham gum.I use it because I can get it at the grocery store with the other bobs red mill products.Alittle goes along way though. ;)

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:07:03 AM »
Thanks so much, Umpa. I've never seen xanthan gum at our store (we have only one store :-[) but maybe they could order it for me. I was very glad to find that the store actually stocks Bob's Red Mill flax so I didn't have to order it online.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »
Do you use it the same way you use cornstarch or flour to make gravy by stirring water into it and then putting it in your drippings?  Does the gravy taste similar to that made with cornstarch? 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:12:38 AM »
Downeast-If your stores carry Bob Red Mill they can order any of his products for you.
Shihtzumom-You could use it to start a rue but it works fast so have your liquid ready.Start with a 3/4 teaspoon for 2 cups.I haven't used it for gravies but as a thickner for dessert sauces and stews.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
Thanks Umpa, sounds good.  Maybe I will cook a roast beef this week and try it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »
Yummy roast beef!  :) If I am in doubt whether something will work i just start with a small amount.I will make 1/4 a cup instead of a full cup. :)But with roast beef you already have au jus!Thats all the gravy I need!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
I just thought I would experiment with roast beef gravy to perfect it so I don't ruin the Thanksgiving turkey gravy.   

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
Most jar chicken gravies or turkey gravies are 3 carbs for 1/4 cup which is alot of gravy.But you really can make your own just practice!I plan to post a traditional thanksgiving meal next month.To give people time to get their recipes together. ;)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
Our Thanksgiving is more than a month earlier than yours.  This year it is on Monday, Oct. 11th.  I usually do my big dinner on the Sunday of that weekend.  Not that I want to rush you, but just "food for thought".

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
We will start  next week.Can you please post what would be a canadian thanksgiving dinner??

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberries, dinner rolls, mashed potatoes, cabbage rolls, corn, acorn squash, sweet potatoes, baked beans, coleslaw, devilled eggs, veggie tray, pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie, apple pie...carbs, carbs, and more carbs...OMG I just gained 10 pounds typing these food items.  No wonder I put on weight!!!

I already know what to do for the gravy, stuffing and mashed potatoes.  And I'm sure I could figure out some cabbage rolls made with cauli-rice (I made stuffed peppers with this a few weeks ago).  I can live without corn, sweet potatoes and baked beans.  I just think I need help with coleslaw dressing and a fall-like dessert, does not have to be traditional pie with crust.  Something pumpkiny maybe.  I did come across a recipe for Lemon Fluff that was just heavy cream and SF lemon jello, that may take care of my lemon meringue pie needs.  Maybe something cinnamony would be a good substitute for apple pie.

I still will have to make some traditional mashed potatoes and baked beans for my husband.  Unlike you and Doug, it does appear that I run a restaurant here.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:34:33 AM »
I will get on this right away.I am working on a pumpkin dish to replace sweet potatoes.And a pumpkin pie and pecan pie as well.The rest is easy!Will get back to you. ;)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »
Great, thanks Umpa!!  You are a doll!!

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:46 AM »
Maybe you can just post a Thanksgiving forum and put a whole meal with recipes in it....Everyone can post their recipes...