Author Topic: Jilted in Jersey  (Read 18764 times)

Kathe Rutler

• View Profile
    • Email
Jilted in Jersey
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
 :'(Subject: Help?

Dear Doug,

Where to start.  I stumbled on your book when I Googled recipes for Jicama.  I watched a few of your videos, ordered the book immediately and read it this AM!

I was not a FAT kid-always slim throughout childhood, teenage years and early adulthood.  I lost most of the weight after the brith of each of my three sons fairly easily, without any more effort than a simple walk every day.  I too, am a writer and an artist AND a TAXI driver, with many sedentary hours. I LOVE gardening-vegetables and herbs which I cook with in all foods.  I do not eat or serve my family processed foods or have a lot of junk and RARELY-fast foods!

After the birth of my fourth and fifthe children (two girls), however, EVERYTHING CHANGED!  I had gestational diabetes with the fourth only and gained 55 lbs I never really lost.  On Weightwatchers w the 5th child, I gained only 35 lbs, loosing very little.  So I went in about 12 years from weighing 98-104lbs to 160,170,180 to 219 where I am now.  At 5'2", well it is FAT!  I have tried exercising, diets etc, only to loose the same 10lbs.  All of the sacrificing and time spent does not seem worth a few pounds over the course of many months of discipline.  I always give up and feel ashamed.

My husband/best friend of 31 years left me, disgusted over my appearance-he moved in with a young, thin Brazilian woman who has no children, no cellulite and whose sole hobby is him.  I have never cried so much in my entire life and believe him when he says it was my own fault.

The bottom line is, I need to get healthy (I have Type 2 Diabetes that is untreated as yet).  My best friend says I should loose weight as the best revenge, but honestly, I couldn't do it with his constant criticism, and revenge is not really for me.  ( I am a very busy person with a commissioned portrait business, and three kids and a grandson still at home.  I have recently been nominated as an Honorary Rotary Member because of my service hosting Gift of Life Children.  And to combat feeling crappy, my daughters and I signed up to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity and a local Soup Kitchen.

Do you think this change in eating-eliminating sugars will work for me?  Do you have any suggestions?  I am desperate for support and encouragement....man does that sound wimpy...but it is true.

Please, if you have some ideas, I would love to hear them.  Should I join WWatchers but use you cooking methods?

Sincerely,

Jilted in Jersey

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
Re: Jilted in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »
I'm not Doug,but i am Gary:) & Kathe weight watchers is only a temporary solution to your weight & health issues:( on the other hand FTS is a permanent ANSWER to both:) throw away anything you've picked up from your past weight loss schemes,and start fresh with the FaT To sKiNnY "LIFESTYLE" not diet:) and cut to the chase and realize that your "feeling crappy" while it may be "soothed" by doing good for others:) it will be "cured" by doing good for YoUrSeLf:) my FAT was the root of 95% of my unhappiness...but after 5 months & 88lbs lost...guess what ??? I'm  :D
   oh and there are plenty of fish in the sea:)
   oh and welcome to the forum:)
   oh and buy the book:)
   oh and please come back:)
   oh and have a nice day:)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:52:30 PM by Doug Varrieur »

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:55:24 AM »
Kathe, welcome to the forum.  This FTS lifestyle is a great way to get your health, body and self confidence back on track.  Most of us have tried Weight Watchers at least once.  I think I went back about 3 times, but always put the weight back on.  I have found FTS to be so easy without craves or feeling like I am missing out on anything.  There are lots of suggestions in the book and on the forum to give you alternatives to your old favourite foods.  I have found this so helpful.  In the past I would let myself have a "treat" now and then to not feel deprived and that usually sent me on an eating binge.  Now with ideas for FTS friendly treats, I feel satisfied with no guilt and it's part of my planned net cabs for the day...and the weight keeps coming off.  My blood sugars have come down wonderfully and that started just in the first couple of weeks.  You will find everyone here very helpful.  So good luck on your new journey and your new life.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »
Welcome to the party Kath.... we got ya and you're in good hands  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »
Hello Kathe and welcome to our forum!

I am 58 years old and one of those people that has tried almost every diet conceived.
And they all had one thing in common... THEY DID NOT WORK!
I would lose weight (sometimes very fast) only to later gain it all back plus a few pounds more.

I went from 220 pounds in college (as a football player) up to 316 pounds five weeks ago.
I was tired and sleepy most of the time especially after eating.
Over the years, I found myself developing the the "nasty three"; elevated blood sugar (pre-diabetes), high blood pressure, and high LDL cholesterol (aka Metabolic Syndrome).

Then one morning last spring, I was watching the 700 Club.
Doug was a guest on the show explaining how hidden sugar in what we eat makes us FAT!
I saw many foods that I once thought were "good for me" but in fact were only killing me!!!
I was so mind-blown and amazed, I immediately went online, ordered, and read his book.

About a week (and 2 hours reading time) later, I was convinced I had to change my lifestyle if I expected to permanently lose my excess weight. I was a smoker at the time and decided to kill that demon before taking on another lifestyle change.
I quit smoking on May 9, 2010 and have not smoked since.
In early August 2010, I began the FAT To Skinny lifestyle.

I have lost 19 pounds in the last 5 weeks and haven't felt this good in MANY years!
I have MUCH more energy, sleep better, and overall just feel sooooooooo much better!
I'm eating more, better quality, tastier, and more satisfying foods now than I did before I started.
I can honestly see myself living this lifestyle for the rest of my life!
A few weeks ago, I saw my doctor and was amazed at how much only two weeks of this lifestyle had improved the numbers on my blood panel. The "nasty three" were WAY DOWN!!!

I STRONGLY URGE YOU to get a copy and read Doug's book "FAT TO SKINNY Fast And Easy"!!!
If you follow his advice, it will change your life.

What you do today is what matters!

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »
Hi Kathe, Providence brought you here and with your determination and the help of Doug, Umpa, Gary and the rest of the forum participants you are on your way to a glorious new you!  Read some of the success stories and you will be amazed ;D

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »
Welcome Kathe!
You will succeed!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:29:16 AM »
Welcome kathe! i am umpa dougs wife.i have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly.
I am a big beliver in a*clean slate*.You have been given a gift to start your life over! To design a new you and a new life! Whats it gonna be?Your only limits are your imagination!
We are all here for you!

Kathe Rutler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:22 PM »
Thanyou everyone for your words of encouragement...maybe it is time for a "clean slate" this and yes, Providence inded brought me here as I was simply looking for a way to prepare Jicama!  I was intrigued by Doug's no-nonsense approach to making food-nothing fussy, just healthy and fast!  (Also loved his little table in what looks like a tropical setting-am a BIG fan of the Keys!).  I loved the look on Umpa's face when she was on the bicycle-a blessed face.  31 years w an alcoholic is long enough-maybe it is all a blessing.  I walked 2 and 1/2 miles yesterday and today and can already feel more energy.  I love CBS morning shows and if they gave you guys air time, that says alot!  So thankyou again and hope to hear more from everyone about tips for success.

Is Yogurt ok?  And I got kind of shakey and have hypoglycemia as well as type 2 Diabetes- is this like the Atkins Diet?  Do you go into Ketosis?  Kathe :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »
Regular yogurt is full of sugar, look at every label....so no to regular yogurt. If you click this link it will take you to Gary's yogurt replacement video. YES ketosis is what you're aiming for. Search for ketosis on the home page search bar to read the threads about ketosis. FTS vs Atkins, click here- http://fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1021.0

8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
Hi Kathe,

My wife found a yogurt called Fred Meyer CARBmaster yogurt at our local Fred Meyer grocer.
It comes in about six different flavors.
It has only 3 net carbs per container which fits well into this low-carb lifestyle.  It's also VERY tasty!

This store may have a different name in your neck of the woods.
See http://www.thekrogerco.com/ to see if one of those stores is in your neighborhood.
If not, just check in your local grocery stores to see if they have another low-carb (no sugar) version.

Like Doug says... Always read nutrition labels! You'd be amazed at what you'll find!
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:09:46 AM »
you are very sweet Kathe! If I can help please ask! ;D

Cyndi

• Waiting & blessing the Savior...Shalom † Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
Welcome Kathie!  Lord bless you! ....LoL ....i  just got a tickle, thinking how HE used the "mysterious potato", good 'ol Jicama, to get you here and answer your prayers! cool! \;)/

.. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2 Corinthians 3:17

DoreenBar

• MSN Messenger - halfway37@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »
Welcome Gurl and I believe what Cyndi said..He lead you and its your time for sure!!...Welcome to a whole new way of eating and feeling just wonderful....And to what Umpa said...Time to create a whole new you...And it really does I can assure you...Good Luck on your journey with us..
Live each day as if it was on purpose.

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
You have found the answer! That ex of yours will be drooling over you soon and it'll be too late because you'll have a young cabana boy of your own! :)

The FTS book and lifestyle has changed my world. I use to be addicted to food, thought about it all the time and loved sweets. I thought that's just the way I was made, didn't really know that it was totally an addiction. Within a month of being on the FTS program my world changed. I no longer craved sweets or really any foods of any kind. I feel in control of myself for the first time in my whole life. Now I get what those skinny people have been saying about "forgetting to eat" or "not really interested" in food. I look at meals in a whole different way and you will too.

Welcome to the next chapter in your life. Read the FTS book, learn it and it'll change your life!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/