Author Topic: Carb Intake  (Read 2366 times)

becky

• View Profile
Carb Intake
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:27:54 PM »
I want to know if the carb intake can be increased a bit if I'm walking 5 miles a day and burning 500 calories each time?  Sometimes I even bike at night with my family and burn another 200, so would increasing my carbs a bit be burned off with exercise?

becky

• View Profile
Re: Carb Intake
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »
does anyone know?  I'm not sure if this post got lost and just wanted to bump it up  :)

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »
No more than 20 per day.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
Hello becky!

Welcome to the FAT To Skinny family!

Our culture has taught (and still does teach) us to think in terms of calories when it comes to weight loss which is why so many people who use this way of thinking fail at losing weight and/or keeping their weight at a desirable level.

In the FAT To Skinny lifestyle, we count "net carbs" and not calories when it comes to what we eat or drink.
"Net Carbs" are total grams of carbohydrates minus grams of fiber (if any) and minus grams of sugar alcohols (if any).
As it says in Doug's book, by limiting your net carb intake, you are FORCING your body to BURN STORED FAT.

Calories can be thought of in terms of fat volume where there are about 3,500 calories in 1 pound of body fat.
Based on your caloric estimates, in order to shed one pound of body fat, you would have to walk 35 miles (at 500 calories per 5 miles). That's a LONG walk for only 1 pound of fat weight loss!

However, also as it says in Doug's book, exercise is important for your body's overall health.
It helps the metabolism perk at a higher pace during rest thereby increasing the rate at which you will burn fat stores all day every day, awake and asleep.

Try to keep your net carb intake to no more than 20 net grams per day.
Along with exercise, you will loose weight faster than being sedentary.
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:58 AM »
Ditto Mouseissue :D Sorry I missed your post Becky.Its 20 carbs a day.If you want to increase anything for exercising excessively increase protien.I like a protien shake after i run but it is 0 carbs.It keeps me full until I can get showered and  make breakfast. ;)