Author Topic: Farmgirl Susan's No Sugar Green Tomato Relish  (Read 3311 times)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
Farmgirl Susan's No Sugar Green Tomato Relish
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »
Umpa...with the apples would this make this too high carb?

Farmgirl Susan's No Sugar Green Tomato Relish

Makes about 3 pints
Recipe may be doubled; increase cooking time by 10-15 minutes

2 lb. green tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 lb. white or yellow onions, chopped
3/4 lb. sweet red peppers, cored and chopped
1/2 lb. tart cooking apples, such as 'Granny Smith', cored and chopped
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 to 1 cup 5% acidic organic raw apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon kosher or sea salt
4 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded if desired, and finely chopped
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)

Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, apples, garlic, vinegar, and salt in a large, nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about an hour.

Stir in the jalapenos, cilantro, and cumin and simmer for 5 more minutes. Carefully purée the mixture in a traditional countertop blender, in batches if necessary, until still somewhat chunky.

If canning, return the puréed relish to a boil, then ladle the hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner. Store in a cool, dark place.  If using less than 1 cup of vinegar put into refrigerator to store up to two weeks.
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Farmgirl Susan's No Sugar Green Tomato Relish
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
3 pints isn't very much.I think if I was making it i would choose between the garlic and the apples.When i make my flavored vineagers I only use two cloves where I use to use 6.The cool thing about this recipe is its a condiment,you are gonna get a ton of flavor for a small serving!When figuring carb counts you have to figure serving sizes.You are not gonna sit down and eat a pint.I think if you divide the carb count by 32(32 tablespoons in a pint) you will have a realistic carb count.i would think a serving size would only be about two-three tablespoons.Did i answer your question Izzet?

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
sort of lol  I know apples are high in carbs and garlic is only 1 carb per clove, right?  Or could I use xylitol to sweeten instead of the apples, maybe. 

We have a lot of green tomatoes from my MIL and wanted to make a sugarfree/low-carb salsa.  Do you have a better recipe using green tomatoes?
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »
I like your recipe.I don't think there is anything wrong with it.i think the onions and red pepper will make this salsa sweet.I wouldn't add any xylitol.I just look at everything and look for ways to reduce carbs.I love green tomatoes.Have you tried my fried green tomatoe recipe with fresh mozzerella?
My green tomatoe salsa is same as  yours but no apples,instead of red peppers i use green,and I like a cilantro and italian parsely mix.We call it Pica da gallo.The italian parsely really brings out the flavor of the cilantro.i don't can it anymore because we travel so much.But when I make it I let it set up for a couple hours to let the flavors mascerate.The longer its in the fridge the better it tastes,but in my house its gone pretty quick! Doug likes it on branbread.I like it with mexican food as a condiment.