Author Topic: Paula Deen's Ooey Gooey Butter Cake..  (Read 26524 times)

shawn116

Re: Paula Deen's Ooey Gooey Butter Cake..
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
Taby I'm afraid you may not like this one because it calls for cream cheese.  I'm not trying to discourage you from trying it, but I remember your dislike for the taste of cream cheese my friend.  Why did the others go wrong?  What recipes did you try? 

If you do try one and exchange for the coconut flour do remember that it takes much less than other flours.  You will also have to increase the eggs and liquid.   ;)  For every one cup of flour called for you would only use 1/3 cup of coconut flour.  Double the eggs and add some extra liquid.  It helps also to add in a touch of xanthan gum to help hold things together.  Save your liquid for last and add a little at a time until it feels right to you  ;)  If you google coconut flour conversion you will see what I mean  :) 

Here is where Doug posted the conversion for zero compared to xylitol.  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4199.0
The 48 drops would = 1 cup of xylitol or sugar substitute equivalent.  Keep in mind that erythritol isn't as sweet as xylitol so you may need to add in more to your tastes.  Hope I have helped if only just a little.   ;D

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 01:09:07 AM »
WOW I didn't know all that :) I was going to omit the filling :) pudding isn't vegetarian ;) and yes because I hate cream cheese I was going to just make the cake and skip the filling! The other two I tried was Doug and umpa's chocolate cake with the chocolate cream cheese frosting...I made a different frosting, but the cake came out bitter and floury...I think I know why, the recipe called for only 1/2 tsp or tsp of sweetener...yeah not enough for me...everyone that tried it here hated it :( so I just need to add some erythritol next time. I actually had to throw the whole thing away :( the other was a recipe I got from Pinterest...it was vanilla, it called for 8 eggs and 3/4 cup of almond flour....as you can guess, it tasted like a sweet quiche :\ soooo frustrating. So I'm going to try one more cake recipe and then I'm giving up if it doesn't work right :\
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

shawn116

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
In that case I hate to say it but I would choose a different recipe.  Because the "filling" part is meant to be baked with the cake and not put on as a frosting so to speak, you will change the structure of the end results.  My guess is it will probably come out extremely dry and crumbly.  Baking is basically a chemistry project...if you don't get the right components....it just fizzles out. This is why Umpa will warn that you should make the recipes as written.  When you sub things and or leave things out the results won't be the same.   I also find that when using erythritol that I need to mix it with some other sweetener to get the results I am after.  When is is supposed to be sweet....I want it sweet.  So I always mix it with something like stevia or sucralose for instance.  The erythritol gives me the bulk and the other the sweetness. 

I'm so sorry your recipes came out bad  :'(  I can't imagine a sweet quiche  :P :P  Haha  I think my first flop I made out of my low carb recipes would be brownies....oh my goodness those were bad   Ha!   Very bitter and not sweet at all    :P  :-\   

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
I had planned to tweak it a bit.  I'm a pretty decent cook and baker myself...I do community cooking. I cook for people in our community and it's not unusual for me to be feeding 8-12 people on any given night :) When I was baking the other cakes, I just was distracted by my child. It doesn't matter now though, because after speaking with my nurse and doctor, and because of recent digestive issues, I'm going back as a vegan again and I am SO excited! I feel SO much better as a vegan than vegetarian, so no more dairy or eggs for me ;) so I'll be tweaking the cakes to be low carb and vegan ;) it's not easy but I'm pretty darn good at it. The only thing I'm not "good" with persay, is the sugar subs like erythritol...I've not baked with it much, although when I have I find it provides enough sweetness for me :D I don't need to combine any other sweeteners, I'm just not good with converting the right amount of almond or coconut flour and the right amount of erythritol because I haven't done it a ton...that's where the weakness comes in...but it doesn't really matter a lot now because as I said being vegan again, there is no frosting that is vegan and low carb...so I'll just stick to muffins :)
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

shawn116

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 08:47:36 PM »
I'm glad you are feeling better already  :)

Erythritol measures about 1 1/3 cup to equal the sweetness of 1 cup of sugar.  But if it sweetens enough for you like you said you might could try cup for cup and see if it is sweet enough.  I add the other sweeteners in because I like the taste of the finished product.  Sometimes too erythritol will crystallize itself.   :-\  I like crunchy things but not like that  Haha  There are tons of recipes out there on the web using coconut flour and even already converted for vegan.  I tell my daughter that Google knows EVERYthing  ;D ;D  Haha   If I can help just ask my friend.  Congratulations on the scale still heading in the right direction  ;) 

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »
Thanks ma'am! Yeah I am sure I will need some advice from you about converting the sweet and flour recipes part :) thanks for your help!!!

NoellBlue1

• Happy to be alive :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »
This cake sounds wonderful to eat, I'll have to try this one out in the coming months ahead, thanks again Umpa for all of your help. ;)
Wishing you love, joy, peace, light, and laughter for every moment in your life;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »
You are welcome my friend ;)