Poll

Is it common to gain weight initially?

yes
1 (33.3%)
no
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Gained two pounds in two days!  (Read 7818 times)

iwannabealoser

• View Profile
    • Email
Gained two pounds in two days!
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:50:43 AM »
Hi, I read the book two days ago, cleaned out my pantry, freezer, and fridge and then stocked up on low carb foods.  I followed the less than 20 carbs a day faithfully for two days now and couldn't resist getting on the scale.  To my dismay, I gained two pounds!  Is this common?  I am vegetarian but it doesn't seem like that would be a problem.  Any ideas on why this happened?  Thanks...also, this is my first time to post to anything and I didn't really want to 'poll' anyone but maybe that's what a post is called??

beebs

• View Profile
Re: Gained two pounds in two days!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »
tell us what you're eatin?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:48:50 AM »
Beebs is right! Tell us what you are eating.you are missing something simple.I have also forwarded your post to my husband doug.He is in FT Meyers doing a interview.I will have him look at it this evening, but he will ask you the same question as beebs.Welcome to the Forum!

Cheri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
This is my first post but I am having the same problems as iwannabealoser. I started the program Saturday and felt thinner today. I couldn't resist weighing this morning and I was up 2 pounds! I was shocked. Anyway, from your replies to iwannabealoser, here is what I have been eating:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with cheese
Lunch: salad (lettuce, cucumbers, raw mushrooms, celery, bacon, cheese, chicken, with blue cheese dressing. about 3 cups in volume
snack: planters peanuts from the vending machine
dinner: chicken/steak, green beans or salad.
snack: diet jello with whipped cream topped with walnuts,
natural peanut butter (2 T) mixed with splenda

That's pretty much my day. I drink diet soda (no more than 4) and at least 32 oz water. I'm gradually changing that to mostly water. I have been salting my food. I stopped doing that this morning and I'm really hitting the water today. Please advise - I don't want to give up.

P.S. I'm a 53 yr old female with about 35 pounds to lose. I've already lost 35 pounds on a liquid protein diet I got off of Jan 1st.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:33:43 PM »
Your food intake looks fine to me, stay the course and stay off the scale for a couple of weeks, keep a very very close eye on everything you eat to make certain sugar isn't sneaking in. Follow the 15 minute rule as your eating and only eat until you're full. Any more than that is to much. The only thing you didn't cover was medicines, are you taking any that are prone to gain weight?

Keep the faith, all will be well.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »
I write down every single thing I put in my mouth. No matter what it is or the net carb count. I also write down what time of day I eat it. I wasnt doing that at first and it has made a tremendous difference. Get a little notebook and try it out. See if that helps you. Every meal or snack I eat I subtract from the 20 net carb a day count.

iwannabealoser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »
Hi, Thank for the responses!!  So good to have company on this journey.  For the past two days my head hurt so bad that I was in bed for 36 hours, but I am on the mend now.  So, I ate under 20 carbs a day Saturday through Thursday when my head hurt so bad.  Then I drank Sierra Mist and ate nothing.  Today I ate a 4 carb bread/cracker thing w/ 1 T. Marantha almond butter, 1 carb.  That's it, because I am still a little queasy.  I weighed myself just now and I've lost 3.5 pounds in spite of the Sierra Mist.  I wonder if the head hurting was withdrawal from sugar...I ate A LOTTTT of it before I started this change of diet.  I will write down what I eat for the next few days and post it.  I think it makes sense to write it down so I don't fool myself or miss counting anything.  I am hypothryroid and take levoxyl daily but I don't think it causes weight gain.  Thanks again, talk to you soon.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear you were in so much pain! Yes, it is possible that the headaches were withdrawal symptoms from sugar. I want to remind you that each 8 oz serving of Sierra Mist contains 7 teaspoons of sugar so STOP, you are sabotaging yourself! I've researched Levoxyl and the manufacturer claims that weight gain is not a side effect however you should read this article which offers some contrary information- http://www.thyroid-info.com/dietnews/4mar.htm

Congratulations on the weight loss you are now on your way to a thinner you if you can stay off the soda :)

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:22:21 AM »
I have hypothyroidism as well and not taking your medicine or not taking enough can cause weight gain but the medicine itself should not. I had sugar withdraw for about 2 weeks and felt very shaky, if you want soda try diet sierra mist. The diet has much less sugar and tastes pretty much the same. A little caffeine may help combat the headaches!

iwannabealoser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »
I only drink soda when I am ill, usually 1-2 times a year, a habit I will replace with carbonated water.  I am feeling better now and actually have an abundance of energy, almost hypomanic!  The greatest thing so far is that I am not craving sweets intensely.  It is amazing to me as I have always had a sweet tooth that demanded sweets every day.  I actually do not get very hungry.  I realized at 4 in the afternoon the other day that I had forgotten to eat.  I like the 15 minute rule. I'm not doing so good at recording what I eat, will put more effort into it and post it once I get a full day's worth.  Take care everyone, talk to you soon!! 

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »
Awesome. You dont 'have' to right down what you eat I just find it helps me keep too the 20 carbs a day more easily.

Cheri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:28 AM »
Thanks for all your advice! I will start writing down what I eat. It is hard to remember when it's 1 carb here and 2 carbs there...over the course of the day. I got a cute little pink notebook. LOL ;D Doug I'm not taking any medications that cause weight gain and I've been on them for years. I have cut back on how much I was eating. I'm finding that "full" has a different feeling without carbs. It's more of a "not hungry" anymore than a specific full feeling I get from carbs. Also I'm losing the craving for sweets. They're all over the place at my house 'cause I'm the only fatty. Now they don't bother me. In the past I might not have been eating the cookies and candy but I was thinking a lot about how I was not eating them. Sounds crazy I know. The last few meals I've eaten I lost interest half way through and saved the rest for later. That is a huge breakthough for me 'cause I'm a charter member of the Clean Plate Club - helping out all those starving children in India by cleaning my plate.

iwannabealoser - I'm glad you're feeling better and congrats on your weight loss!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:28:03 AM »
Sounds like you're on your way. Keep paying attention to your body signals, they won't lie to you once you learn to recognize them.