Author Topic: candy pecans  (Read 5876 times)

joagain

candy pecans
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
Umpa I dont think this can be converted am I right ?

2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups (16 oz) pecans

Line baking sheet with foil and lightly grease; set aside. Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Combine cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg in small bowl. Add spice mixture and food coloring to sugar mixture; mix well. Continuing stirring constantly until mixture reaches 240 degrees (soft ball stage), about 5 minutes. Add vanilla and pecans. Immediatly pour pecan mixture onto prepared pan; cool 5 minutes. Pull pecans apart in individual pieces. Cool completely.

Makes about 1 pound candy

owensmath

Re: candy pecans
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:39:30 AM »
I'm just guessing, but couldn't you use the xylitol that is granules and keep the rest of it the same?

joagain

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:23:58 AM »
Well i never used the xylitol didnt know if it would harden like sugar . Do you have to order that or do any stores sale it ?

owensmath

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
The only kind of xylitol I've found is that kind. I haven't found the powder kind yet. I bought it at a health food store.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:37:12 AM »
Yep I made these for  the Fat to Skinny Bakery but used walnuts.
Cut the recipe in half.one cup of water to  1/4 cup xylitol.You will need a thermometer to know when it gets to 180 not 240(xylitol will scorch at 240).Spread them out on parchment paper and separate with a fork.They will candy(harden )in about 4 hours.

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »
did I miss the recipe for this cause its sounds like a great Christmas treat. I love making goodies for the holidays!  ;D

joagain

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
up above beebs

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
The only kind of xylitol I've found is that kind. I haven't found the powder kind yet. I bought it at a health food store.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I did find powdered Xylitol on Amazon. It's by Ideal Sweetners made by Heartland Sweetners. Unfortunately because of the cornstarch to make it powdery it's 11 net carbs for 1/4 cup, 30 grams before deducting the 19 grams for the Xylitol.  :(
Jeremiah 29:11-14

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 12:10:56 PM »
I dont understand the water/xylitol thing so I use 1/4 cup of water for the...I dont even know what Im asking someone tell me the xylitol water amounts plz?  :P

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »
Beebs, there was also this recipe for Sweet & Spicey Cinnamon Roasted Nuts.  http://fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1050.0.  I know Cara has a recipe that she uses that has egg whites and SF syrup.  I'll tell her to post it too.

Cara

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
Here is .
3 cups pecans
4 eggwhites beaten with fork.
4 tsps cinnamon
4 tsps xylitol

Place pecans in a bowl with the eggwhites. Stir to coat pecans with eggwhites. Scoop out the pecans, and put them in a ziplock bag or bowl containing the cinnamon and xylitol. Shake to coat. Spread pecans on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes. Gift idea- place in a nice container to share with friends.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:22:04 PM by Cara »

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »
This sounds easy enough and you could add the allspice and nutmeg from the top recipe along with the cinnamon if you want.  Cara said the ones she made with SF syrup were a little sticky, so I think I'll try it with the xylitol.