Author Topic: All this Christmas food is rough  (Read 6132 times)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
All this Christmas food is rough
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:15:02 AM »
I love Christmas but with it comes fudge, Christmas cookies and divinity. I have children so I have to do Christmas cookies for the school and fudge is all around me at each function we go to. Plus my very favorite Christmas sweet is divinity and my very sweet older sister sent me a TUB of it. Great right??! I am doing okay...but gosh it's rough! How is everyone else handling it?
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

joagain

Re: All this Christmas food is rough
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »
Sherrie look how far you have come have you had one yet ? It will probably taste not as good to you as you think !!!

Ocean Blue

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »
I notice that if I have "replacements" around that I am able to eat, I am not so tempted by anything that is in the house for other people. Usually it is the sugar or chocolate or such that is the enticing part and there are many alternatives to this thanks to this forum. Some of the holiday treats have more of an historical mental reminisce about them (more so than even the taste associated) and that is when I try and go look for non food items that can trigger the same good holiday feelings.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:38:48 AM »
Yes, I agree with Ocean Blue that having "replacements" on hand is the key.   I never thought about using nonfood items to trigger happy childhood memories, I like that idea.  We seem to focus so much on food that we forget about all of the other wonderful things that contribute to the Christmas season.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Hey Jo, I see A 20 lbs. weight loss on your ticker.  C O N G R A T S!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:54:05 AM »
Replacements is the key!! ( We have this thing on the forum called ask umpa :D)That and a picture of yourself at your heaviest on the fridge !  When those foods are sent to me as gifts i give them away to the neighbors. ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
OK, This is how to handle any food gifts that are given to you which are not FTS friendly. Throw them away, don't feel guilty the stuff is poison, don't feel as if you need to find someone to give it to the stuff is poison, don't feel as if you need to give it back to the gift giver the stuff is poison;

Throw it in the trash  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

owensmath

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:27:43 AM »
I let my students know on DAY ONE of school this year that I appreciate the thoughts, but I would not eat anything they give me that I am not allowed to eat. Then, I explained to them what I meant and why I am choosing to live this lifestyle. They have been very sweet about offering me only sugar free gum!

SouthCarolinaLady

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »
Praying to JESUS helps me to get through food temptations !!!

The Bible says in Psalm 81:10

I am the LORD your God,
   who brought you up out of Egypt.
Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.

Try it -- you might be surprised by turning to this "spiritual food" instead of the "poison" food Doug refers to!!!

Have a great day!

SouthCarolinaLady (Susie)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »
Hi Sherri,  :)

Doug is on target about this!

Giving away "poison" does no one any favors.
Dispose of those items whichever way you want... but get rid of them!!!

I suggest going over to the Recipes/Desserts and Sweets section here and find some sweet treats to make and keep on hand thru Christmas.
Or, if you don't feel like (or have much time to) do much cooking during the holidays, buy low-carb treats from places like netrition.com, dixiediner.com, etc..
What you do today is what matters!

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 07:46:52 PM »
So you guys convinced me...no divinity in the house now at all. I would never try it or the cookies because then it would set me back for a week or so and the sugar cravings would come back. I just would love to be able to be one of those peeps that can eat it and be in control. I know, I'm not and never will be. I do have replacements and I love the idea of replacements not only being food. Currently I have my favorite landolakes sugar free whipped cream in little dollops on wax paper in the freezer. Hopefully when it hardens and freezes up it will taste a lot like divinity. :)

Thanks everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:30:41 AM »
I posted carrot cake today Sherripie! ;)

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:36:36 AM »
Sherripie
Divinity is about the only thing I miss when it comes to Christmas treats. I found a recipe and they say it tastes "just like divinity" here it is:

1 cup of heavy whipping cream (beat to a peak)
Splenda to taste
1 pk of SF pistachio pudding
After beating the heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks, beat in the SF pistachio pudding. It doesn't say what to do with it after that so maybe put dollops on some waxed paper or parchment and chill?  I would think it would be a fairly stiff mixture.

But . . .
I was thinking of maybe trying some unflavored gelatin dissolved in water, Walden's Marshmallow Dip, and into that beat in one box of SF vanilla pudding mix, vanilla extract, Xylitol, and one of the thickener ingredients. Then chill. It should set up to make the "divinity". Would probably need to stay refrigerated though. Could even stir in a bit of chopped pecans if you wanted. I'm ordering some Walden's marshmallow dip this weekend. Wish me luck!

Umpa, Beebs, Shihtzumom, Owensmath - any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:03:00 AM by CaliGirl »
Jeremiah 29:11-14

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 08:35:57 AM »
The first recipe won't work.You will just get overly sweet pudding.The pudding is already sweet so why add more sweet(splenda)And its not to add bulk.

The second recipe has legs though.But again the pudding is sweet why add xylitol? Other than that it may work.Use a thickner like xantham gum that doesn't need heat to thicken.Report back Cali! ;)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 09:32:46 AM »
Yes REPORT BACK!!! OMG to get something like divinity would be wonderful. I will offer my tasting services to you both if necessary?  ;D ;D ;D

I did find some really fun treats, well actually they were sent to me by my Mom. They're from Swiss Colony and they are Sugar Free Truffles. Only 2 carbs in 3 pieces and they taste decadent!!

Cara

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 07:00:07 AM »
Take a piece of fudge and put it on the ground and step on it. It will not be a pretty sight. After that whenever you want fudge force yourself to think of that disgusting blob with the boot print. Works for me anyway, may be worth a try.