Author Topic: Christmas Party  (Read 6564 times)

joagain

Christmas Party
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
I need some help we are having a get together for Christmas Eve and just having finger foods . The problem is I am the only one that will be eating the FTS way (well except for Tyler )

The question is they are having all kinds of cheese balls, dips and veggies with dressing . But my question is what kind of crackers can I use . They will have chips and nacho chips.  I wanted to buy or make some crackers that would look appetizing to others also . Not crazy about the sunflower seed crackers . The flax crackers are ok but they are not appetizing looking they maybe what I have to go with . I am going to make the sausage balls also .
 Any other  suggestions  ?

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Party
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
Jo, I made the sunflower seed crackers and took some with me in my purse to a friend's house last weekend.  Even though they don't taste all that great by themselves, I find that they taste ok with a piece of cheese and pepperoni on them or to use for dip.  They mainly are there to hold up the toppings and give you a little crunch.  I actually only ate a couple and the rest of the time just put my cheese on top of the pepperoni.  I made a mistake when I made the crackers and forgot to sprinkle on the garlic salt before baking and I think that may have helped.  As for dip, it's hard to guess what ingredients your friends have put in, so maybe to be safe take a little container with 0 or 1 carb dressing or dip for you and Tyler.  Hopefully there is a big veggie tray there for you. 

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
Oh and I think somewhere someone mentioned using fried cheese as crackers but I don't know where that conversation was.  You might like that if you don't like the sunflower crackers.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
Hi Jo,  :)

Here's a pizza crust variation using "fried cheese".

http://fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1036.msg8197#msg8197

You could make the crust (cheese) and cut it into snack sizes for dipping.
I would just turn it over mid-way thru cooking to crisp-up both sides so it would be crunchy.

Like Shihtzumom1 says, watch out for dips! Some are high in sugar.
To be safe, bring your own ranch, blue cheese, or other low-carb dip.
What you do today is what matters!

owensmath

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:21:05 PM »
You can also use the GG Bran Scandinavian Crisp Bread. Or, bake some low carb tortillas that have been cut with a pizza cutter into triangles. They become crispy.

joagain

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
thanks guys i am making my own cheese ball and veggie dip I am going prepared for the battle . LOL Owensmath I can not find the GGbran crisp anywhere and I have not ordered anything yet I guess I will have to order to get to try them . Do you guys like them or they good ?
 Thanks for the recipe Tony I might just have to try those they sound  pretty good  !!!
 We have to stay strong thru the holidays that is for sure ,its not hard if you have the stuff you need !!!!!  All my cravings are gone ,and boy am I happy ! ;D

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »
Jo

GG Bran crispbread has a 3 pack sample for $14.95
They are difficult to eat alone, but I eat one for breakfast with Beanit Butter and WF strawberry jam, or with cheese they are great.

As for making your own crackers, I have taken slices of cheese and divided them into 4 squares, put them on parchment paper, sprinkle herbs or garlic and microwave.All microwaves are different so I would suggest starting @ 30 seconds and slowly increase the time until they crisp up.Let them cool and up have crackers.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »
I like the GG Bran Crispbread with cream cheese & SF jam, or melted cheese.

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »
I like the GG Bran Crispbread with cream cheese & SF jam, or melted cheese.

Congratulations on only having five pounds to go!! WOO HOO!!!

Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:35:47 PM »
You can always use celery for cheeseballs Jo ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »
thanks guys i am making my own cheese ball and veggie dip I am going prepared for the battle . LOL Owensmath I can not find the GGbran crisp anywhere and I have not ordered anything yet I guess I will have to order to get to try them . Do you guys like them or they good ?
 Thanks for the recipe Tony I might just have to try those they sound  pretty good  !!!
 We have to stay strong thru the holidays that is for sure ,its not hard if you have the stuff you need !!!!!  All my cravings are gone ,and boy am I happy ! ;D

Hey Jo! ;D

I enjoy GG Bran crispbread with an ounce of cream cheese along with my coffee in the mornings.
By themselves, they are very dry, somewhat difficult to swallow, and don't have much flavor.
But when you put something on them, their flavor somehow improves dramatically.
Just buttering them makes for a tasty treat!

GGs are hard to find in most stores, so I buy them online.
I bought a 15 package box of them (at http://brancrispbread.com/) back in early August and still have 3 packages left.
Each package has 10 crackers (2 net carb each).
I will be ordering another box next month.

Isn't great to not have those lousy carb cravings anymore!
Having so many low-carb alternatives is wonderful too!
It makes it soooo much easier to say "No" to carbs this (or any other) time of year.
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 01:21:02 PM »
Good Idea Umpa !!! Welcome back did yall get settled in ?

And Tony I see 35 LBs GONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE   Congrats

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »

Congratulations on only having five pounds to go!! WOO HOO!!!
Thanks SherriPie.  After I have a nice picture taken at Christmas I will post that along with a picture what I looked like 12 years ago at my highest weight and change my ticker to my full weight loss amount.  My ticker now only shows what I lost since mid July when I started FTS.

joagain

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
Wow Shihtzumom1  I didnt even notice you are almost there . How much have you lost all together ?

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »
Jo, I have lost 52.5 lbs altogether.  But there is about 20-25 lbs in the middle that I have put off and on quite a few times.  This is the lowest I have been since the late 1980's.  I can't believe how easy this has been since I started FTS.  I wish I would have known about this years ago and saved myself a lot of agony.