Author Topic: wondering about fluid retention on FTS diet  (Read 5892 times)

forte2465

• View Profile
wondering about fluid retention on FTS diet
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
Normally, I would not be retaining water, eating this way.  However, yesterday, I was sent to the ER with terrible swelling of my ankles & feet and ordered to take a "water pill"
Because of that med, I'm now supposed to eat bananas, etc (foods high in carbs) to keep my potassium level up - Dr. does not want me to take a potassium supplement.
Has anyone ever had serious edema (fluid retention) on this type of diet?   Normally, as I said, I find "low carb" diets to have a diuretic effect and not the opposite.  I am 60 years old and in overall good health.  Thanks.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: wondering about fluid retention on FTS diet
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
Hi Forte.  Welcome to the forum.  I also take a diuretic daily for hypertension. In the past, I had problems with water retention, but I haven't had any problems on FTS. If anything, FTS has improved my symptoms.  I would suggest you talk with your physician.  Though edema can be caused by heart or kidney related conditions, I know that when I used to eat pan pizza, my fingers and ankles would REALLY swell.  Not sure if it was due to the high salt, carbs, or what?   I don't take potassium, and I don't eat bananas anymore either.  In my case, my internist thinks FTS is GREAT for me!    Hope you get to the bottom of this, and feel better soon!   

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
Welcome to our family forte2465!  :) :) :) :)

You've found the right place for support and encouragement for the FAT To Skinny lifestyle.
My wife once had a terrible problem with edema.
However, eating low-carb for several weeks has helped her immensely.

It's gonna be tough living the F2S lifestyle while eating bananas.
I wonder why your doctor insists on them and not supplements or other low-carb foods?

Ask your doctor if taking a potassium supplement along with some low-carb food would work for you.
Or maybe eating foods that are high in potassium (and lower-carb) like: avocados (raw), spinach (cooked), and tomatoes.
I hope there is another "doctor approved" alternative for you.

There are three types of "foods" that interfere with potassium absorption: high-sodium (salty) foods, caffeine, and alcohol.
I'm sure your doctor has told you to avoid these.

Whatever you do, please stick with your doctor's orders.
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »
I'm not aware of a connection between your symptoms and low carb....maybe your salt intake? I would be VERY FIRM with your doctor about your commitment to low carb and demand other avenues for your potassium. Mouseissue listed some great sources that are FTS friendly. Wishing you the best health!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
I know I retain water if I eat too much cheese and meats like pepperoni, salami, deli sliced ham, or any kind of processed meat.  I haven't touched the salt shaker in years.  Good luck!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »
I know I retain water if I eat too much cheese and meats like pepperoni, salami, deli sliced ham, or any kind of processed meat.  I haven't touched the salt shaker in years.  Good luck!

Lots of salt in the foods listed above.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)