Author Topic: bread recipe  (Read 4936 times)

trixie

• View Profile
bread recipe
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:49:15 PM »
Hello I am new to FTS and trying to figure out where to start and i was looking for recipes and saw comments about Izzet's bread recipe but I can't seem to find the recipe. Any suggestions on where to start my head is just swimming I am about 110lbs overweight and am now becoming insulin resistant and my friend wants me to do weight Watchers with her but the plan seems to have too many carbs and I think that will make my insulin resistance worse.Any thoughts?
thanks
LIsa

G8orgirl

• View Profile
Re: bread recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
Welcome Trixie, I am new too.  I was in the recipe section all day today and made this bread.  I believe this is the one you are looking for. 

Foccocia style flax bread

rep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients:

* 2 cups flax seed meal
    * 1 Tablespoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener (xylitol)
    * 5 beaten eggs
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 1/3 cup oil (I used olive oil)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan a 10X15 pan with sides works best-spray (I used a 13x9 as that's what I had)

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.) I poured it straight in

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.

**Izze's notes:  After dividing the bread in half then 4-5 sections you can take one slice and cut it in half to put your sandwich items on it instead of using two thicker slices to save carbs. 

I also had to cook it about 25-30 min because it was still mushy and stuck to the spatula on the bottom when I cut the sections -so you can't go by the springiness of the top to tell if it's done. I'd use a toothpick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSCF0003b.JPG (123.12 KB, 584x438 - viewed 13 times.)

DSCF0001c.JPG (22.37 KB, 300x400 - viewed 11 times.)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:45:15 PM by izzet » 

trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:32:54 AM »
Hi G8orgirl,
 Thank you for finding the recipe.The flax meal did you grind the flax seeds to come up with the meal or did you buy it like that? I need to hopefully spend the day on here to figure out what I need to do because I want to get this weight off and I don't think weight watchers is my answer.
Good luck to you and  thanks so much.

joagain

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:45:35 AM »
Hey Trixie you buy the flax mill already grounded , I found mine at walmart they have a box that has the dark mill and a bag that is the golden mill you can get either . It is where the flour is . The first time I made the bread I just made half the recipe and greased a cookie sheet and spread it very thin then cut it the size of a piece of bread after I cooked it .I think I got like 8 pieces from half a recipe .
 Also if you do this you need to watch it after 10 min it did not take 20 minutes when you do it on a cookie sheet,
 hope this helps and good luck ! Oh and don't get discouraged if you lose slow . I am a slow loser ,some are fast if you lose just 1 lb a week this time next year you will be 56 lbs slimmer . WW does have  way to many carbs .
 I am losing slow on 20 carbs a day I do better if I eat real meat (No processed meat ) and get my 20 carbs from veggies ,My FTS live style change has been a slow ride as far as weight loss but a fast ride in making me  feel so much better then I did 4 months ago . And I am finally realizing that that is what is as important then losing weight . If you stick with this we will all get to where we want to be some faster then others but we will all cross the line !!!

G8orgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »
Good Morning, Trixie!  I went to Walmart and in the baking aisle I found Milled Flax Seed by Hodgson Mill, it is in a brown box and kind of looks like brown sugar on the front.  It is with the corn meal and I think it was $1.80 a box.  I did weight watchers back in June and it really didn't work too well for me.  I did lose weight at first but not significant enough to continue to pay for a meeting.  Good luck to you as well, just stick with it even if it seems like you aren't losing much because you may be losing inches (from what I have read).

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
I buy flax meal/flax flour at my local health food store.  It is also at the bulk food store. 

Over the years I have been a member of Weight Watchers at least 3 times and actually am a lifetime member.  So much for that.  The weight did not stay off.  The FTS program makes much more sense.  The weight comes off at a steady pace and without much difficulty.  I love that once you take sugar out of your life your don't have craves anymore.  I also love that we do not go without, we replace our favourites with a FTS friendly alternative.  That way there is never a reason to cheat.  As far as the recipes for desserts and sweets, they are meant to be special treats and not in your every day eating.  I find if I eat these too often the scale doesn't go down. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
Hello trixie!  :)

Welcome to the F2S family!

We are here for the same reason... To help ourselves lose weigh by helping others do the same.
And unlike WW, this support is 100% FREE!

And you are correct! WW is far to high in net carbs for effective weight loss and weight maintenance.

WW has a financial stake in making your weight loss as slow as you will endure AND set up so that you would return again in the future to start all over again (usually at least a few pounds heavier)... WW is all about the $$$ and not REAL weight loss success!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:03:08 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help. I am wavering because I just feel so deseperate to get this weight off and I was really thinking about the weight watchers but I think I will save my money and just look all over this website for recipes and menus.Thank you all.You are very helpful :)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »
Great to have you join us Trixie.  This is the the only program that I have stuck with and works and trust me I have tried all of them without success.  You get to eat normal food but just substitute with healthier options and loose weight steady as long as you stay with it.  I hope you enjoy the bread...it is my favorite and it's so healthy for you.
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:25:02 PM »
Hi Trixie, welcome to the forum  8) Have you read the FAT TO SKINNY book yet? If you haven't you need to  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »
Yes I have started reading the book.I just need to read faster and look on this fabulous site.I have seen so many recipes that look great and see such nice people on here to help.Thank you :) I can't wait to get this all figured out and get going.thanks again

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 08:55:50 AM »
I do a little no carb dance too Marty!! :D I was in the chinese market and found o carb flavored watermelon seeds, the people thought I was crazy! At $2 a bag they are great tv snack, lots of flavor. :)

thedaltons6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:26:22 AM »
Hi trixie
Im pretty new here too..
Have you tried the GG brancrisps??? I found them at the local health/natural food store (raisin rack-whole foods). LOVE THEM!! Very fiberous too!
i THINK Doug and Umpa order them online as well
weight loss Center is your best free resource for [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss[/url]

trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
I haven't seen the GG brancrisps I will have to look for them on line..Thank you again everyone for your kindness. I haven't been online because of my crazy work schedule.I am now off friday so I hope to really do some studying of the site.