Author Topic: Chicken Cordon Bleu Chowder  (Read 3426 times)

Marty

Chicken Cordon Bleu Chowder
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »
Umpa, can you look at this recipe, please? It was a little watery so I ended up adding a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken it up - I thought the sour cream and cheese would thicken it, but they didn't really help that much (my people were at the door, so I didn't have time to come here for advice before I served it, but it was a hit - except that I hated putting the cornstarch in it):

Chicken Cordon Bleu Chowder

18 - 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut up
1 1/2  big old plate sized ham slices, cut up
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
salt and pepper
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded Kraft Italian Five Cheese blend (mozzarella, provolone, romano, asiago & parmesan cheeses with cream cheese)

Heat a big stock pot and add about a tablespoon of oil, then brown the chicken, onions and celery (cook the ham, too, if it isn't already cooked).  Add the spices, ham and broth and simmer (pour the broth in slowly and deglaze the pan - yum!).  A few minutes before serving, add the corn, sour cream and cheese.  Made about 12 servings.

I'm really an 'add a little of this and a little of that' type of cook, and don't measure, but use what the dish seems to be asking for - this one was begging for some corn...maybe cauliflower would have been as good for a little pop of sweet?  I may have added some water if it needed more liquid.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chicken Cordon Bleu Chowder
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:07:47 AM »
I love chowder!  ;)My husband is from New England so this is one of his specialties.i am gonna have doug look at your recipe.

Marty

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
Ok, thanks, Umpa!  I want to make some smokey salmon chowder when you fix the thickening issue.  I love chowders this time of year! :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
Methods to lower the carbs in this recipe- I would back off the onion a bit, cut it to 1/2 cup and eliminate the corn. Use block cheese that you shred yourself to eliminate the potato starch that they use to stop the shreds from sticking together in the bag.

Methods to thicken the chowder- You can replace a bit of the liquid with heavy cream which also brings the sweet to the recipe you were looking for. say, 1/2 cup less broth replaced with 1/2 cup cream. You can also thicken with egg yolks. The method is simple, when the chowder is finished remove a cup of broth from the pot and let it cool to warm vs hot. Next beat 2-3 egg yolks into the broth until well blended, next stir the liquid back into the chowder and bring it back to a low boil for a few minutes to allow the egg mixture to thicken the soup.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:35 AM »
We love to fish and I gotta tell you the salmon chowder sounds great!I gotta try that one! ;)

Marty

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
Thanks!  I'll be making some warm-up chowders all week!   :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:48:30 AM »
Post the recipes for your fellow forum members, alot of them live in very cold climates. :)

darpar62

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
This sounds really good! I'm going to try this one soon.

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
You can use xantham gum aas a thickner without adding carbs!!!