Author Topic: What can I do for my food?  (Read 2261 times)

Kale4life1

• View Profile
What can I do for my food?
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »
I just started my 2nd Semester @ College and have no idea how to work arround this food plan. I'm in class full time 4 days/week and my cafeteria sell fries burgers cookies, chocolate milk, pop, water, and much more foods that are too pricey. There's even 2 Tim Hortons' at the college, and our book store sells trail mix snacks, candy, and Coca Cola products, w have Pepsi vending macines and candy vending machines throughout the halls. Today i had a couple homemade brownies and leftover pan-fried chicken breast and mixes vegies with a bottle of water.

How do I put u with this stuff when I'm in a full time program and will be in class for 24.5 hours/week? I also continuously walk up and down stairs there while carrying a backpack and a laptop bag with me.

I do have a credit card but it's only for college items therefore can't order the food items online. half the things I can't get in Canada. I love fish, and other foods, we have pizza places all over town, same with chinese food, and big name fast food places.

As I do this I'm also trying to live a lifestyle as a full time college student, an Umpire for local upcoming baseball season, and after April being in the gym everyday in prep for my upcoming football, and I current curl for my college on Monday nights.

How do I work this in ifI'm 6'1, weigh currently 280 lbs want to lower weight to goal of 240-235. I'm an Endomorph body build with big bone structure and with my size I play as a D Tackle in football.

Please help me. :-\

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: What can I do for my food?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »
It's time to grab a yellow pad and go on a "food inventory mission" I want you to find and write down all the foods and beverages that are within your reach then organize a menu that you stick too. For example you mentioned that the cafeteria sells burgers, water and pop. On one of your school days ...lets say Mondays make your meal 2 burgers with all the veggies, no ketchup and no bun plus a water or diet pop. On Tuesdays go for Chinese. Tell the waitress you can't have sauces or corn starch and ask her to have the cook stir fry you up a plate of chicken and veggies. There are choices all around you, it's up to you to locate them and plan your food. I also mentioned to you in another post that you could leave a cooler in your car full of stuff....lets face it the car is a fridge in Canada during the winter. Take advantage of it  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
My sister is in a small Ontario town also and finds the Low Carb La Tortillas at Foodland.  I checked and you have a Foodland in Essex, so if you don't see them on the shelf, ask the manager if they will order them for you.  They are great for sandwiches, pizza crust, I cut them and put them in the toaster for toast, cut them in triangles and bake them for chips for dipping.  You also have a Zehrs.  They have all of those great President's Choice Blue Menu products.  Just read the labels, not everything is low carb.

You have to sit down and plan ahead for each day.  You are the only one that can do this.  Most of the food we eat is just regular food.  The things we order are extras and not really necessary to follow this food plan.  So good luck, you should be able to find enough of what you need.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
Hi Kale4life1!  :)

When I was in college (back in the neolithic era), I too played football as defensive tackle and have an endomorphic body type.
With sports and being a full time student with a full time job, I know just how tough it can be timewise and moneywise.
I really empathize with your challenge.

Here a are a few quick low-carb snacks to put in that cooler for someone on-the-go almost every day...

String Cheese
Pepperoni Sticks
Nuts
Pork Rinds
Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Lunch Meat with cheese and mustard/mayo wrapped in lettuce leaves
Avocados, small or medium (1 per serving)
Tomatoes, small or medium (1 per serving)
Plain green salads with low-carb dressing

With any packaged foods, ALWAYS read the nutrition labels for carb counts and ingredients.

I also strongly recommend that you also drink at least 1/2 gallon of water per day for general health.
Playing football on a low-carb diet calls for a LOT of water!

And for those days when you may have some time, you can prepare a few meals, pre-pack them into serving sizes and keep in the fridge for grab-n-go. See Doug's book for some easy recipes to get you started.
What you do today is what matters!