Author Topic: Not a big fan of pork rinds but...  (Read 3726 times)

Bella

• View Profile
Not a big fan of pork rinds but...
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
I miss the crunch of a snack chip...any ideas on a substitution for a snack that would take the place of potato chips for example ?  I bought pork rinds but can't seem to aquire a taste for them :-\

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Not a big fan of pork rinds but...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »
Bella I enjoy pecans, walnuts and almonds (all unsalted) as well as roasted unsalted sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.  Just be sure to measure out your portion and put the container away, because it is very easy to keep munching. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
I miss the crunch of a snack chip...any ideas on a substitution for a snack that would take the place of potato chips for example ?  I bought pork rinds but can't seem to aquire a taste for them :-\

Have you tried any flavored pork rinds?
Some of them (like BBQ) are really tasty.
What you do today is what matters!

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »
make your own crackers:)

joagain

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »
When you cook the low carb tortillas in the oven with oil on both sides of them they are very good get rid of the crunch craving . I read also today about chicken skins instead of pork skins the article I read said they sale them at the Mexican section of the store . Has anyone ever tried them ?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
When you cook the low carb tortillas in the oven with oil on both sides of them they are very good get rid of the crunch craving . I read also today about chicken skins instead of pork skins the article I read said they sale them at the Mexican section of the store . Has anyone ever tried them ?

Chicken skins fried or broiled until crispy are VERY tasty. YUM!  :) :) :)

If you talk to the butcher (or meat dept. person) at your local grocery store, they can usually get them for you very cheap and sometimes FREE!!!  ;D

Here's a recipe for Chicken Chips made from skins;http://fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=657.msg5146#msg5146
I will sometimes add other seasonings, like garlic powder.
If I fry them, I will let them drain a little bit on paper towels (but this is my preference).

joagain

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:45:52 PM »
Thanks tony can you not buy them in a bag like pork skins ?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
soy chips buy eatsmart(snyders pretzels) but I like spicy pork rinds ;)

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
Ohhh Great ideas !! Thanks all  ;D  I'm not a skin of any kind fan but the idea of toasting my Tortilla Factory tortillas is a great idea...I can sprinkle them with garlic or onion granular !! Now why didn't I think of that ??  Also love the idea of making my own crackers and will look into recipes for those Thanks Everyone !

joagain

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »
hey bella you can sprinkle them with sweetener and cinnamon too when you are wanting something sweet! I cant find the soy chips anywhere Umpa plus I dont need a whole bag of anything !! lol

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
Thanks tony can you not buy them in a bag like pork skins ?

Not that I know of... Eating chicken skins is frowned upon by the majority of calorie-counters and the USDA.
Even if you could, they would most likely not be anywhere near as good as fresh homemade.

They are super easy to make at home.
If you want to fry them, just start the heat at medium-high and lower the heat to medium when they start to "crackle" in the pan.
Don't want to burn 'em!  :'(
I have heard that if you deep fry them, they are a lot like pork rinds. Haven't tried it though.

You can also save the leftover "fat" rendering (like bacon grease) for other cooking.
Just put in an air-tight container and keep in the fridge.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:15:17 AM »
Any store that carries Snyders Pretzels can get them for you.You can always contact Snyders and find out where they are sold in your area and save the gas money of running around to spend on chips.They are 2 bags for $6 at most of the stores I shop at. ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
Tony, I had never heard of deep frying chicken skins but I'm going to try it ASAP. I Like chicken skins when they are crispy and spiced up. This is a wonderful idea.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:08 PM »
Just tried Joagain's idea,  baked a Totilla Factory tortilla , brushed  with evoo, sprinkled one side with onion granular and the other with garrlic granular and sea salt, then cut it into strips with scissors and baked at 450 untill browned....YUM !!!!  I found the answer to my crispy snack cravings ! One tortilla really made alot too !!  For only 6 carbs....I'm now a happy snacker

joagain

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
Glad you liked them I  make my son pizza  on those I warm them in a skillet for a sec but the sauce and cheese on it stick it in the oven for a few and the edges get all crunchy it is very good . Carb Mission tortillas are 4 carbs  and the one that doug has in his book is only 2 .