Author Topic: ShihTzuMom's Menu  (Read 13907 times)

Rena

Re: ShihTzuMom's Menu
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 12:07:39 AM »
What meatloaf recipe are you using that's only 1 carb? Mine was way higher (like 6).

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »
Rena, I converted over my old favourite recipe:

TRADITIONAL MEAT LOAF

2 Tblsp. SF maple syrup (it was brown sugar) (0 carbs)
2 eggs lightly beaten with a fork ( 1.2 carbs)
1/4 cup Walden Farms Ketchup (0 carbs)
2 Tblsp. yellow prepared mustard (0 carbs)
1 tsp. dried basil flakes (.4 carbs per tsp.)
1/2 tsp. salt  (0)
1/4 tsp. black pepper  (0)
4 pounds of meat loaf mixture (ground beef, ground pork and ground veal or just lean ground beef if you like).
( 0 carbs)
3/4 cup of flax meal or crushed pork rinds (0) - I ususally use the flax meal to get extra fibre
1 small onion diced fine (5 carbs)

Glaze topping:
1 Tblsp. Worcestershire Sauce (1 carb)
1/4 cup Walden Farms Ketchup (0)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spray a 9" x 13" pan with Pam.
2.  In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, ketchup, maple syrup, mustard and seasonings.   Add meat.  Sprinkle
     with crumbs and onion.  Work with hands and mix all together well (I usually wear vinyl gloves because the
     meat is very cold and the egg mixture feels gross).
3.  Form into a loaf shape and put into your prepared pan (leave room all around for the fat to drip, don't press
     it to cover the entire pan).  Lay a sheet of foil loosely over the top.  Bake for 1 to 1.5 hours (until the juices
     are no longer pink).  Uncover and drain off fat (I usually hold the foil tightly across the pan to hold meat in
     place while I tip it to drain.)
4.  Continue to bake uncovered for 30 more minutes or until done.  The last 10 minutes of baking I brush a
     mixture of Worcestershire sauce and ketchup over the top and sides of meatloaf and put back in the oven.  
     When done, let sit for 5 - 10 minutes before slicing.

The carb count for the whole recipe was 7.6.  It would depend on how thick you cut your pieces as to how
many carbs per slice.  I don't think what I ate was actually 1 net carb but I rounded up the number on my
menu that day.  My husband loves this leftover for sandwiches so that is why I make such a large meatloaf.
If you use less meat I would cut the egg back to 1 and maybe just use 1/2 cup crumbs but still the same
other ingredients.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:45:14 AM by ShihTzuMom1 »

Rena

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
Thank you! :) We love meatloaf and I was bummed that mine was so high, but that's because it has sun-dried tomatoes in it. I'll have to give yours a try. Thanks, again!

Rena

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 11:10:39 AM »
Just checking out your breakfasts, ShihTzuMom. I'm trying to find more options. As it is now, for breakfast I eat Smaps cereal, CARBmaster yogurt, eggs (omelets, scrambled, hard-boiled), One-Minute Muffins, and flax pancakes. Not all in one day, of course!  :D

Rick struggles with breakfast. He usually eats bacon wrapped in a low-carb tortilla, but he needs to find more variety. Sadly, he doesn't like the other things I eat.