Author Topic: Supliments ?  (Read 5467 times)

Bella

• View Profile
Supliments ?
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
I was wondering if any vitamin supliments are  reccomended ?  My husband thinks my eating may be too drastic since I don't drink milk anymore and the only fruit I'm having are strawberries, razberries and blackberries

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Supliments ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
I take a multi-vitaman made for women, calcium and vitamin D (I'm in my 50's and have to be concerned about my bones) but I took these before I started FTS and continue to take them now. 

Almonds and almond milk have calcium so you could add that to your meal plan.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
Hi Bella!  :)

I stopped drinking milk about 16 years ago.
I found it was causing me to get bronchitis and other respiratory problems.
After I quit, they went away!

Milk is good for children while their bones are forming.
After about 21 years old, it actually becomes bad for you.
I've heard of many maladies associated with it in adults from aggravating arthritis to asthma attacks.

I too take a multivitamin-mineral tablet each day along with a 5,000 IU cap of vitamin D3 during the winter months (not getting enough sun).
Although I have veggies every day, I do this to be sure I'm getting all the trace nutrients I need.

What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
As stated in the little yellow book :)  I take a multi every day.   I also have Niacin, CoQ10, fish oil (omega) and Cyruta in my daily vit pac.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
Thankyou !    :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
Downeast,

I apologize for upsetting you by my comments about milk.
Milk itself is not inherently "bad".

My fore-family members lived as farmers and ranchers.
So I know how hard folks like you work EVERY DAY to produce good healthy products for us to enjoy.

The fact is many people, like myself, have sensitivities to it and don't even know they do until they stop drinking it... And that's the sad truth!

Like me, they would not know that they were sensitive to it without stopping it's use.
And I have read research that shows that a number of people do have negative health reactions to it as I described. Lactose intolerance is only one of many.
I, for one, know this by first hand experience.

If you choose to enjoy milk and it gets along with you, be careful because it has about 12-13 net carb grams per cup (a bit over 1.5 per fluid ounce) from the lactose.

What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:54:26 AM »
Downeast this is so cool that you are a dairy farmer! Question nobody can answer for me.When I look at a label on milk for grandson and all the carbs come from sugar is that natural sugar or added sugar? Do you make your own cheese? ;D

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
Hi Umpa;
Lactose is the natural sugar in milk, just like fructose is the natural sugar in fresh fruit. More specifically, as a chemical definition, lactose is a disaccharide sugar that is formed from galactose and glucose.
Unless you are buying chocolate or flavoured milk it will not have added sugar. Production and processing rules are slightly different between USA and Canada, but plain white milk (called fluid milk) does not have anything added to it except (in Canada and most of the USA) a bit of Vitamin D because we spend so much of the year without access to Vitamin D from the sun. Milk is a pure product.

I don’t make cheese. I don’t have time. I enjoy eating the amazing variety of tastes and textures available in cheese from the store. My husband’s grandfather came from The Cheddar Gorge in England in 1920 and family legend has it that he wasted a lot of good milk over the years trying to make cheese. It’s quite an art and not something easily done in a kitchen.

I pasteurize the milk we use for the family in a 2-gallon home pasteurizer. For FTS recipes which require heavy cream I just take the cream off the top of the milk jug.

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »
VERY interesting and enlightening !

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:13:29 PM »
Yes, very interesting Downeast.  Boy we learn so much here on the forum!

joagain

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »
I know that tyler being a Type 1 Diabetic we use milk when his sugar is low ,It will bring his sugar up as good/fast  as apple juice . He prefers milk . Since I believe that milk is better for him then juice ,I always have it on hand . Downeast, would you know why  the milk would rise his blood sugar as fast as juice ?, the juice seems so much sweeter.

Thanks

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 08:45:46 AM »
A cup of milk has 12 g of sugar. A cup of apple juice has 24g of sugar.
Perhaps they both have enough sugar to get the job done so it doesn't matter which you use. Or, perhaps the milk sugar is absorbed differently than the fruit sugar. I'm just guessing.
Using milk has the added benefit of including protein and calcium.
It seems that you've figured out what works for Tyler and how to help him, and that's what is most important.  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 09:05:23 AM »
Thank you downeast ,wicked cool info!! I couldn't figure out why they would add sugar to milk! The milk his mother(Zuiderdamm) has me buy him is cloning free.It is actually on the label!How things  have changed huh? You are now our dairy expert! I am sending dairy questions to you!  ;)
I agree with Jo that for type 1 diabetics milk is a better choice than juice.Kids can always get it a school and there is enough natural sugar(thanks downeast) to get the job done plus everything a growing child needs.
My interest is actually in goat cheese.I love it and have never taken the time to learn much about it.I suffer from a very short attention span! :D

joagain

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
Thanks Downeast and congrats on your weight loss ! And Umpa we al have a short attention span sometimes  :o