Author Topic: Jalepeno poppers  (Read 4966 times)

Bella

• View Profile
Jalepeno poppers
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Home made are so much better than the frozen store bought...Just took a batch from the oven ...breathing fire but I love em  :'( I only use low fat 0 carb cream cheese but you can add bacon crumble or cheddar cheese...jalepenos are 2.5 each half and the amount of bread crumbs I used were 8 net carbs per 1/4 c but I only used 3 Tbls...the rest of the ingredients are 0 net carbs....I season the cream cheese with onion powder and garlic powder and a little oragano..cut the jalepenos length wise ( remove the seeds and vein, I wear rubber kitchen gloves and use the tip of a veg. peeler ,run it from one end to the other and it scoops the entire insides out )  stuff with the cream cheese, roll in heavy cream then in  the crumbs,  Bake on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with Pam  for 30 min at 300 for spicy hot ,40 min for a bit milder, and 50 min for even milder

joagain

Re: Jalepeno poppers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »
Leave off the breadcrumbs and wrap in bacon !and they will be 1 carb per pepper

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
Please share the name of the carb free cream cheese .Green peppers in the  book are bell peppers.Jalepenos are 1 carb per half cup. :)

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
Philadelphia 1/3 less fat brand says <1g Total carbs

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
I checked the label Bella and it is(in the US) 2 grams per 31 grams(one ounce is 28).Are you in Canada? I have run into this with schihtzumom before.Stay away from lowfat.The regular Philadelphia cream cheese has 1 carb per ounce.If you do find a zero please tell me,I am the cheesecake queen!! :D

joagain

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
 the whipped has less is it good to use in recipes ? Or does it not work as well ?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
I love the whipped for cheeseballs and toast because it is spreadable.I have tried it with mini cheesecakes and it was very watery,and made a mess. ;)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »
I guess I'm the resident Canadian label person.  Umpa I don't have a pkg. of Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese right now, but looking back at my food journal I counted it as 1 carb per tblsp.  If I remember right the pkg. says 2 per 2 tblsps.  If I'm in a grocery store later I will verify the carb count.  I'm pretty sure that is right because that is why I picked up Neufchatel the last time I was shopping in the U.S. because it had half the carbs of Phillie (although doesn't have that same taste).

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
Reading from the package of 8oz Philadelphia 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese...Total carbs <1g per serving  Sugars <1g per serving  and there are 8 servings per pkg.  So how many carbs are in the the entire package ? P.S. I'm not in Canada  :)

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:18:21 PM »
OHHHHHHHH I'm so sorry !!! I just looked at the front of the package and in small print in the lower right corner it says " Neufchatel cheese"

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
Doug went to the grocery store yesterday and bought one Bella.You are correct about the carb count.It is Neufchatel cheese.BUT I wander if it will work for cheesecake????????That will take the cheesecake carb count to nothing.I will report back.GOOD FIND BELLA!!! ;D

joagain

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »
Does it taste like cream cheese ?

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »
Jo is tastes similar but it is a little smoother, it's missing that little something that cream cheese has.  Now I have to go look for 0 carb Neufchatel.  Not sure if they are interchangeable Umpa, but I don't see why not, they both have the same texture. 

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 03:16:26 PM »
I never tasted the difference !  stuffing it into jalepenos , who would ?   ;)  but  a delicate cheese cake is another thing altogether, can't wait to hear how it works

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 09:20:50 AM »
I used the Neufchatel yesterday and made a mini cheesecake.The mix was runny so I added 2 eggs to 8 ounces.It cooked but was spongy.So my vote by itself no go.BUT possibly mixed 50/50 with real cream that might work.Will report back. ;)