Author Topic: Atkins Bar  (Read 8602 times)

ksmorris

• View Profile
Atkins Bar
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »
I  have a question about the Atkins' bars.  For example, on the Cinnamon Bun Bar, the outside of the box says it has only 3g net carbs.  But when you look at the label, the total carbs is 18g, the fiber is 5g, and the sugar alcohols is 4g.  My calculation, according to your book, would be that there is 9g net carbs.  Do  you know why there is such a discrepancy?  Also, do you believe that these bars are okay to eat in your low carb plan?  Thanks for your assistance in this.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Atkins Bars
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
I believe Dr Atkins would roll over in his grave to see what's happened in his company! The company that now owns Atkins is interested in one thing....selling food for profit. Just like South Beach they go against their own teachings for greed. I don't trust any label that doesn't supply full disclosure and even some that do! I always double check ingredients to see how honest the company is being when labeling the product. I've inquired to Atkins how they arrive at their numbers only to be told they include ingredients that are included in total carbs however have no glucose effect therefor don't need to be listed. I say Bull!

The bars I recommend the most are made by Optimum Nutrition, come in 4 flavors and are only 1 net carb. They are on page 125 in the product guide. Here's the web link- http://www.netrition.com/complete_protein_diet_bars_page.html

In the meantime take a look at the Atkins Label for the Cin Bun Bar in question, come to your own conclusions....I've already come to mine.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:21:14 AM by Doug Varrieur »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

beebs

• View Profile
Re: Atkins Bar
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
I was looking at atkins in Walmart one day when I added the carbs according to Dougs formula i came up with 10 and the label on the box said 4!!!!

Phil

• Realize how rotten sugar is for your health.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:01:46 AM »
There is way to much crud in those bars to even begin to understand, let alone eat yuck.
And if I claim to be a wise man. It surely means that I don't know... Kansas

UFGatorJenn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:50:54 AM »
How strange, I was going to ask Doug the exact same thing about these bars.  My Mom bought two of them thinking they were a good idea.....they were until you read the back of the package....the numbers didn't add up.

Jenn

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:52:09 AM »
I think Doug and Umpa need to make a 'BAR" and sell it. Something nummy!

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:11:50 AM »
Dixie diner sells a Carb Counters™ Banana Pecan Flax Sticky Bar that is delicious and 4 net carbs.There are other flavors available too.

Doug or Umpa have you ever checked these out?

http://www.dixiediner.com/carb-counters™-banana-pecan-flax-sticky-p-549.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:09:11 PM by Joanne »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
I havent.I buy the optimum nutrition bars from nutrition express.They are one carb , about a buck each and come in 4 flavors.Chocolate truffle,chocolate mint,peanut butter and coconut.I keep these in my purse for a meal replacement when i am working or if I hit a wicked low.
You know beebs i will think on that.We should be able to make our own.i like a challenge! ;D

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
Send me the link for those optimum bars? I need those! Until you make some anyway.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:50:06 PM »

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
Thx!!