Author Topic: HBP question  (Read 1600 times)

Rena

HBP question
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:10:30 PM »
A little over a year ago I was at a first-time visit for a new dentist. Part of that first visit includes taking blood pressures. I was shocked to find out mine was incredibly high. I had no idea. I'm talking triple-digits for both numbers sometimes. I went to my doctor and she put me on Lisinipril, but it still didn't go down enough, so she increased my dosage eventually.

The meds have made me feel horrible since I first started taking them. I get dizzy if I stand up too fast. Everyone tells me to "stand up slowly" but ... well, who the hell does that? When you stand, you stand. Anyway, the dizziness is getting worse and now I go for a couple of seconds where everything just goes black on me. I have to stop and close my eyes for a second or two and then I'm okay again. I'm pretty sure it's from the Linsinipril.

I'm starting to record my BP everyday now. Each time I've taken it, it has been normal. Today it was 116/70 and my HR was 50. Now, I don't know if that's because the medicine is working or if maybe it's because I've lost 47 pounds -- or simply a combination of both.

Do any of you have experience getting off HBP meds? If so, how is it done? Will my doctor decrease my dosage a certain amount while I monitor it? I don't imagine you can go off it cold-turkey without having problems. I'm just concerned because the dizziness/blacking out stuff seems to be getting worse. I'm planning on making an appointment soon, but I want to make sure I have a good record of numbers to show her before I go in. Otherwise, I'm not sure if it would do any good.

Just curious how this has worked for everyone else, if at all. Thanks!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: HBP question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:51:46 PM »
Hi Rena, I was put on metapropol and experienced the same trouble, I was on a ladder installing heating vents and had to grab hold of a rafter to avoid crashing to the floor. My doc cut the dose in half immediately and eventually changed the med. Don't wait! see the doc ASAP and deal with this. Your dosage is most likely too high due to your current weight loss.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
Thanks, Doug. I'll give her a call on Monday then. That will give me at least the weekend to write down what I can for her. I was just afraid of not having enough data, since I figured that was the only way they could tell how low or high it was. It seems to be pretty normal now. Thanks, again.

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
Rena congratulations on your weight loss! FORTY SEVEN pounds is amazing and you're more than halfway to your goal!! Way to go!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Hooray Rena on your weight loss!!! ;D ;D ;D

I've been on HBP meds for over 7 years.

If I bend over then suddenly straighten up, I get very dizzy (more so the last couple of months).
You're right... It's not natural to rise slowly unless you think your going to hit your head on something.
I have learned to be extra careful ESPECIALLY if on a ladder, step stool, or stairs.

I'll be seeing my doc early in March.
I'm confident he will at least cut my doses.
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »
Thanks, Sherri & mouseissue.

I hear you on the dizzy stuff, mouseissue. I can squat down to look at something in a store and when I rise back up, I get very dizzy and it goes black for a second. I never had HBP before, other than during my pregnancies, so I'm hoping it was just weight-related and I can not only decrease the dose but get off it for good. I hope you can as well! Good luck!