Author Topic: Multi-Question post!  (Read 5019 times)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Multi-Question post!
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
Okay, so like when you make a dish with multiple parts, like salads, stir fry, spaghetti squash dinners or casseroles (although I haven't found a casserole I can actually eat it LOL) how do you figure the carbs? Do you measure each veggie or item and add them up? If you make a couple day's worth how do you portion it out so you know how many carbs you eat each time you eat it? This happens a lot for me with veggies since the carbs add up quickly when mixed together...how do you know? Especially when you have to eat out. Also, I miss having Ezekiel bread, pasta, rice, and BEANS the most...even fruit :( I love it so much, can I not have them at all? And when I lose the weight I want...how do you add some back in, if I start to eat bread or pasta or fruit, seems like I'll gain weight again!? Last question...seems now, around the 2 week mark, all of the sudden my sugar cravings are going through the roof! It didn't bother before yesterday, now I'm just about watering at the mouth! Is that normal? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just confused on these things! Thanks guys :) have a blessed night and love ya!
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Multi-Question post!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:17:32 AM »
You need to recognize your ingredients, the quantities and the carb counts. Soon it will be second nature to you. You're ingredient list is pretty short so it won't take long for you to memorize the numbers.

Why are you missing bread, rice and beans? Make some flax seed bread, cauli-rice and black soy beans....no brainer  ;) Your fruits are and will remain Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries and Avocado. Lets worry about adding carbs back in when you reach your goal weight...don't fret about them now.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:29:34 AM »
Add up the total carbs for the meal minus fiber and sugar alcohols. Then divide by number of servings.You should not be missing anything.You get 20 carbs a day.If you want to spend them on foods you are missing do so.The reason Fat to Skinny works over long term and people don't gain back the weight is because it is a lifestyle change.We find replacements for everything.If you remove foods then add them all back when you lose the weight,you will just gain all your weight back. ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47:29 AM »
Doug, Hmmm, I've never heard of cauli rice!!! Last night I made the mashed cauliflower and it was soooo good!!! Is there a recipe for the rice? I've never seen black soy beans, heard people talk about them, but never seen them...that's interesting, I'll have to check into that. I've been making the flaxseed bread and it's okay, but it doesn't rise very much, even with my egg replacer, so I just leave it out all together, it tastes a little different too, maybe it's the lack of egg and my butter substitute, I use earth balance butter because it's vegan and has 0 carbs...but it's okay. I am interested in making flax pancakes though :) haven't found a recipe yet...I still have a ways to go, still beginner.

Umpa...that's what I was thinking. I don't know why I'm missing french bread...but I am. There's a restaurant here I used to frequent that had the best french bread that was vegan and I dipped it in EVOO and balsamic vinegar...that's what I'm aching for :P but, not for the pounds that comes along with it. Some days are just harder than others for me I think. Some days I overthink things, and make it harder than it seems, and then some days it's easy. Being around people at work and working lunches at meetings gets me and I start craving, otherwise, I'm usually fine, except that I host a lot of dinner parties and help cook around town for events...grrrr.

Doug, so if I have a salad with broccoli, a little tomato, cucumber, olives, cauliflower, and baby spinach, and it's tossed together, I can't figure out if I measure the tossed salad, let's say a cup full, I can't figure out how many carbs each veggie counted for even if I know maybe I put 2 carbs of each veggie in...does that make sense? Or maybe I should keep them separate? Sorry for all the questions, hope I'm not annoying you to death :\ I'm just trying to be as true to the program as possible, and to myself.

Okay, one last question...is there anyways to make flaxseed bread like french bread? Just wondering. Thanks again ya'll I hope you have a great day!!! Oh I have a friend soon to join the program too :)
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Start with this vid to get a handle on rice and beans- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=964.0
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
Thanks Doug!!! Okay, my food processor is one of those tiny little ones that only chops, it has two blades and I can fit about a cup of anything at a time, but I've been wanting to get more kitchen stuff...though my little apartment can't handle much more LOL...I'll be saving for a big better one for the cauli-rice! Thanks again Doug and love that accent ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »
OM!!! Just when I thought I was frustrated, I get on the scale...and guess what? I've gained two pounds...GAINED.  >:( I'm like REALLY? WITW did I eat to make me gain weight. UGH. On another note, I wanted to ask you Doug and Umpa, when you make something like mashed cauliflower, and you measure a half a cup or a cup, do the carb counts change or is half a cup of cauliflower in any form still 1.5? Just wondering about that. Thanks guys.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
Flax pancakes, just adjust it to make it vegan:  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1500.0.

A woman's body fluctuates constantly, from day to day, morning to night.  Don't obsess over the # on the scale.  Either pick 1 day a week to count as your weight, or average your daily weight at the end of the week.  Even though my scale looks like I gained 1 1/2 pounds, my weekly average has gone down, so what looks like a 1 1/2 pound gain is no big deal.  Even though your scale may not reflect anything there are wonderful things going on inside your body as you readjust to having no sugar.  This is a lifestyle change, not a diet, so don't stress about a pound or 2, think of your long term goal.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »
Good idea ShihTzuMom1!!! Thanks! Do you know anything about the carb count for the mashed cauliflower? I love it!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
Doug told us to count 1/2 cup of Cauli Mash as 2 carbs.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »
Okay, thanks! That's awesome!!! Have a healthy sugar free day!!!

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
I have found that since settling in to a FTS lifestyle, cauliflower has become my staple food. Fortunately I have always loved cauliflower and broccoli.  Try my cauliflower-broccoli salad recipe in the vegetarian recipes section. It would still taste great even with the cheese omitted.
I had never tried canned black soy beans before FTS. They are really useful in salads and chili, and easily take on the flavour of whatever they are mixed with. I wouldn't recommend eating them on their own like a vegetable. They are very low carb and very high fibre. I get them at a health food store.
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1394.0
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:35:30 PM by downeast »

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
Here is a great video on making Cauliflower Rice...step by step 
YUM!

Have a great day!

http://video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Rice.htm

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
Thanks down east, you are always very helpful!!! I can't wait to order tortillas, and have black beans and lettuce and tomatoes...OH MY!!! I LOVE burritos :D

Rena

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 03:49:50 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Richters-Fresh-Produce-Guide/dp/097031390X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298925981&sr=8-1-spell

This is the produce guide I have. I have NO IDEA why they're asking so much for the new ones on Amazon. Heck, if I can make $300+ on mine, I'd sell it in a heartbeat! We bought ours at a grocery store years ago. There are cheaper used ones, but you might be able to find it at a local bookseller near you, or at least something similiar. Since your diet consists of so many veggies, I'd suggest you get one. Doug's book lists a lot of them, too, so keep that nearby. Or you might want to type up a list of all the veggies you eat and make a chart showing how many carbs per serving you use. That way you could hang it on your fridge and keep it handy. Good luck! :)