Author Topic: being honest, not looking for sympathy  (Read 4256 times)

owensmath

being honest, not looking for sympathy
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
I've been bouncing around in the minus 75 to minus 79 pounds area for two months. This is the lowest weight I have been at in 18 years and my body seems to be comfortable here, but my mind is screaming, "GO!!! Don't stop!!!!"

Yes, I'm drinking lots and lots of water.
Yes, I'm walking.
Yes, I'm cutting out sugar alcohols.
Yes, I'm cutting back to almost zero carbs on many days.
Yes, I'm frustrated.
NO, I'm not changing my lifestyle! I'm a lifer! Even if I never lose another pound, I will live life the FTS way!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: being honest, not looking for sympathy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »
I'm not sure what else to say, so just hang in there!!  Maybe just change your menus up a bit.  Don't eat the normal things you have been eating to try and shake things up a little.  Include lots of watery vegetables and maybe try Chia seeds and see if they help.  Good luck, I'm sure the scale will start moving again. 

http://www.webbernaturals.com/product_details.asp?id=866&cat=0

http://www.superseeds.ca/ss1/history.html

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »
hi owensmath!  :)

Are you eating ONLY when you are HUNGRY?
If you're not POSITIVELY sure, take Doug's test in the little yellow book.

Do you eat just enough to satisfy your hunger and no more?

If you are using them, have you changed meds (doses and/or drugs)?

If none of these things, then I am stumped.
Hopefully, Doug will chime in with more ideas!

In the meantime, stay the course until we figure this out for you.
What you do today is what matters!

owensmath

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
hi owensmath!  :)

Are you eating ONLY when you are HUNGRY?
If you're not POSITIVELY sure, take Doug's test in the little yellow book.

Do you eat just enough to satisfy your hunger and no more?

If you are using them, have you changed meds (doses and/or drugs)?

If none of these things, then I am stumped.
Hopefully, Doug will chime in with more ideas!

In the meantime, stay the course until we figure this out for you.

I only eat when I'm hungry, and I don't snack between meals. Medicine changed less than two weeks ago due to allergic reaction to metformin.  I, too, am stumped!!!

Rena

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
Owensmath -- I'm stumped, too, and in the same EXACT situation as you.  :'(

owensmath

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
I also had my first migraine in December, another in January, and my third one in February. It does not happen right before my girly time, either.

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
more exercise:)

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
I have always been told that when you hit a plateau, up the water (even by one glass) and up the incline on your exercise.  If you are walking on a treadmill, up the incline.  Or if you are walking outside, find some hills.  You'll breakthrough and continue on your way! 
You are doing so well!

Good Luck!

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

Rena

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
owensmath -- are you eating ENOUGH?

I've always been under the impression that if you eat too few calories, regardless of carbs, your body will store fat because it thinks it isn't going to get more food. Could this be happening to you? I kind of think that is what's going on with me because I've been depressed over not losing and have cut way back. Here's an article that talks about it a little more ...

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/fewer-calories-stalls-metabolism.aspx

For me, I also stopped taking a diuertic in my blood pressure med, so maybe that's screwing with me. I do exercise every single day for about 40 minutes. Ten of that is weights/resistance and the other 30 is walking on a TreadClimber. I totally understand your frustration and wish you good luck!

owensmath

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
I will read the article, Rena.
Thanks for sharing.

If anyone is wondering what my "typical" days are like, they are posted in the meal plan area from last month.

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
First of all big hugs out to you. It is so frustrating to hit a plateau that seems to never end. You also look amazing and should be really proud of all you've lost and all will continue to loose. I'm with Rena though on the not eating enough. When I first started FTS and plateaued my first reaction was to stop eating, like a normal diet, and see if I could get it to restart...of course it didn't. Now when I plateau I pull everything I have been eating and slowly bring it back one by one, being sure to eat even a little bit of something at least three times a day. So like my first day I will have something like 2 eggs with no carb cheese for breakfast, salad with walden farms dressing for lunch and then meat and a veggie for dinner. Then after a couple of days of that I usually start loosing again and then bring in my favs like whipped cream and SF mousse.   I know we are all different and what works for one doesn't always work for others but it really sounds like carbs are sneaking in somewhere, you just have to find them.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »
Hi again owensmath!  :)

The last few posts that talk about how not eating enough (i.e. allowing yourself to become hungry) may stall your loss.

Although I've written posts about how eating too much can cause a "stall out". Not eating enough can do it as well.
Unless your positively sure your not allowing yourself to go hungry, this may be why your weight loss has stalled.

Our bodies have a well documented survival mechanism that stops fat loss in the event that the body senses a "famine" even if caused from simply not eating enough to satisfy the body's needs.

It is possible that your body requires more food than you are eating.
This would cause a ketosis (fat loss) shut down.

Please reevaluate your eating patterns and quantities.
Self-induced "famine" will stop weight loss.

What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
Good morning Owensmath, it looks like the crew have all chimed in with good advice.....which one is right for you is left to be found. So why has your weight loss stalled? Currently your body is in perfect concert with your food intake, you are neither losing nor gaining. Mathematically it simply means you are burning all the fuel you are taking in, no more no less, it really is as simple as that.

I've gone back and looked at some of your meal plan posts and although I'm not a big fan of Atkins shakes or Atkins anything the food doesn't look out of line. With that being said we still face the same facts as stated above.

I think you can do a couple of things to shake the apple tree, the first thing I would suggest is starting back at the beginning and go through a three day test to analyze your true food needs, then I would only fulfill those food needs with "dense" protein and greens AND I would eat very slowly with half the food on my plate that I was eating a week earlier AND I would stop as soon as the hunger subsided. Dense protein like red meat, pork, poultry and lamb will satisfy your hunger needs with a much smaller quantity of food than less dense sources of protein like shakes, whey and bars. The result is less food and faster/longer satisfaction. Dense protein also requires your body (engine) to rev up more to digest the food than less dense proteins.

Remember the basics;

If you want to lose weight rev up the engine and decrease the fuel.
If you want to gain weight slow down the engine and increase the fuel.
If you want to stay the same weight keep your activity level and fuel at the same level.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »
75-79 pounds ?? Owensmath you are so successful! I think you are amazing!I also think everyone here has given you wonderful advice.I do agree with sherripie about eating enough.I am so guilty of that.That will actually cause the body to hold on to weight.You also have to give your body time to adjust to the new you.All will be well my dear friend. :)

Rena

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »
Good luck, owensmath!

I decided to eat more than I have been yesterday and I managed to get back down to where I was this morning. Go figure! I felt like I ate like a pig, but I was still within my carb limit and didn't have huge portions of anything. I think I just sabbotaged myself because I was at 49 pounds and so wanted to hit 50 that I stopped eating as much as I should. It backfired. Stupid thing is -- I know better!  ::)