Author Topic: Cracker Barrel  (Read 3079 times)

Rena

Cracker Barrel
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it on a search. The other day we went into a Cracker Barrel and was pleasantly surprised to see a FULL PAGE of their menu devoted to LOW-CARB!

We were out of town and on our way back home when we stopped there. We were mostly going to check out the giftshop and not go into the restaurant since our boys had already eaten. I was pretty bummed because between breakfast and lunch, I had used up my 20 carbs for the day. I had a grilled chicken salad from McDs that day and between the veggies and the dressing, it's 16 carbs. Ugh. That hardly makes it worthwhile and I'd probably be better off getting a burger and not eating the bun. So anyway, when Rick walked up and showed me Cracker Barrel's low-carb menu, I was thrilled. I ended up getting a steak and had some cheese sticks we had just bought at Costco. Problem solved!

I wish they had a Cracker Barrel closer -- this one was 2.5 hours south of here.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cracker Barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:23:58 PM »
I LOVE Cracker Barrel, and Georgia is covered UP with them.  Seriously, there's 2 within 10 minutes of my house, and another one like 25 minutes away.  I like to get their hamburger steak with onions on top and their turnip greens!  They even have a sugar free dessert....apple pie with vanilla ice cream, but I'd be afraid of the carbs in that.  Hey, at least they ARE trying!!  :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »
That's wonderful :) I never have trouble eating out, there's always enough choices but it's good to see restaurants supporting our life style!  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »
We were wondering if maybe they just left the menu like this from the Atkins phase or something. It's a shame we don't have a local one here, but at least they're trying.

Question for Doug -- My boys are picky, but McDs is one place they'll eat when we're out. I've been getting the grilled chicken salads there with the Caesar dressing. The total carbs for that is a whopping 16. Do you happen to know what the net carbs would be for the Angus bacon burger without the bun? The nutritional guide only lists it with the bun and all the fixings. I was just curious if it would be a better choice for me to eat a burger without the bun rather than rack up all those carbs in a salad. It's not like I don't eat enough veggies at home and most of the lettuce is just Iceburg anyway and not that nutritious.

I'm curious about the salads vs. burgers though, especially with WDW coming up.

joagain

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
rena for Tyler I count the regular size hamburger bun as 30 and the bigger bun as 40 when counting carbs for his insulin so what did they have the carbs listed ?

Rena

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:29:48 PM »

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »
Rena thanks for sharing that link. I have their steak and egg bagel at least once a week. Glad to know without all the extras it's only 2 carbs.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:23:26 AM »
I'd go for the burger and bacon, very few carbs this way and you have food in you that "sticks to the ribs" while your out and about with the kiddies  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Mimzy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
That's funny Doug, when I was a little girl my Dad always told me it was oatmeal that "sticks to your ribs"!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
That's funny Doug, when I was a little girl my Dad always told me it was oatmeal that "sticks to your ribs"!

Hi Mimzy!  :)

He was pretty close... It sticks to the area around our bellies, fannies, thighs...
What you do today is what matters!

DoreenBar

• MSN Messenger - halfway37@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 08:10:57 PM »
I LOVE CRACKER BARREL!!!...Their low carb breakfast's are the BEST!!!
Live each day as if it was on purpose.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
Doreen nice to see you my friend! :)