Author Topic: Splenda in place of Xylitol  (Read 6961 times)

Mimzy

• View Profile
Splenda in place of Xylitol
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:08:45 PM »
Hi Umpa,  I am waiting for an order of xylitol to come in but would like to bake something.  My question is if I use splenda instead of xylitol would I use the same amount if I were to make snickerdoodles?

I don't know if you read my post in regards to Pasta, but I am hoping you come up with a recipe for spaghetti noodles soon, being Italian I need something close to the real thing ;)  I am counting on you girl... I know you can do it. :D :D :D

joagain

Re: Splenda in place of Xylitol
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:24:24 AM »
The tofu noodles  is as close to pasta as you will get on FTS lifestyle . They have noodles and Fetti I personally do not like the fetti . The noodles I got them at Publix in the produce dept .

You have to rinse and rinse and rinse the noodles to get the funny smell but when you mix them with the sauce they take on the taste of whatever suace they go in .

I like you am Italian & lived on pasta the longer I am on the FTS the less I miss it .

owensmath

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:24 AM »
You can find them online, too. www.miraclenoodle.org (These are also sold in health food stores) and www.asianfoodgrocer.com (cheaper than miracle noodle). Whichever kind you use, definitely rinse them well, then boil them for about one minute and VERY IMPORTANT that you pour them on paper towels or kitchen towel to dry them before putting them with other sauce. This makes sure you get rid of the fishy smell and taste and will allow them to fully absorb the sauce you put with it. I read directions on another web site that said you could put them in a pan and dry cook them after rinsing and boiling them to get rid of the fish smell.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »
I use half the amount of xylitol as splenda or sugar.I find the conversion for sugar and splenda is the same but xylitol is usually half.Taste though.I don't like things wicked sweet but you may.Taste and you can always add more.Let me know what kind of pasta you are missing and I will find you something.I love italian,eat it twice a week! ;)

Mimzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 06:33:31 PM »
Semolina Spaghetti. 

Have you found Amazon to be the best place to purchase Almond Flour, or is there someplace cheaper?

I have check all the health food stores in my area as well as grocery stores looking for SF or reduced sugar tomato sauce, paste, or even stewed but no one carries them.  Do you know where I might order them?

Thank you for your help Umpa, you are very appreciated.  I will be waiting for a spaghetti noodle recipe as soon as you figure it out.   :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:50:31 AM »
I love homemade pasta but havent mastered it yet low carb.I havent found a flour that can replace semolina.I can get golden flax through the pasta machine but when it hits the water it falls apart.I also like spinach pasta which is on my list of recipes I want to do. ;)
I purchase alot at amazon because I have amazon prime flat rate shipping.I pay $75 a year and get two day shipping on my food products.I buy alot of cases of flour,canned beans,25 bags of xylitol,etc.so the shipping pays for itself pretty quick.Alot of the vitamin stores online carry NOW products.As far as pasta sauce goes marinaras are always lower.Your sauces won't say low sugar or low carb on the label you have to read the back.A normal serving of pasta sauce is 1/4 cup so reduce the carb count for that.I have never been to a grocery store hat I could not find a jarred sauce. ;)Alot of your italian recipes can be made low carb.

LauriC50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »
Netrition.com is a great online source for a lot of items..I did a group order at work with some co-workers, they have the NOW unblanched almond flour (although I had already ordered it through Amazon)...

There were some lower carb pastas and sauces, and mayo, lots of cool stuff....and LOTS of WaldenFarms, calorie-free, gluten-free and carb-free products. Their shipping, no matter the size of the order, is $4.95 - so we split the shipping, too.