Author Topic: Newbie-Getting Started  (Read 5170 times)

dwolford

• View Profile
Newbie-Getting Started
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:57 PM »
Hi Doug,
I've had your book for a four months now.  I was diagnosed diabetic a few months back.  Sugar levels are still high.  I need to start NOW.  Just help nudge me in the right direction.  Do I stock up on everything and then start or just start eliminating sugar/carbs day by day?  Is there a right or better way to start?  I'm  almost 59 years old, 5'4" and weigh 310, diabetic, high BP, aching joints and shortness of breath.  I need help and I have to start ASAP.

Thank you for the book and I appreciate your taking time to read this.

Diane

Hi Diana, I think the first thing you should do is cut and paste this e mail into a new topic under the general discussion board so many people can jump in and help you. You are not alone....we are all in this together. That's what I would do first.

This Morning- Start by eating a nice high protein breakfast consisting of a cheese omelet and meat of some kind. I had a feta and spinach omelet yesterday covered with Hollandaise sauce and three sausage links, it was delicious No bread, No carbs.

OK, You have now taken the plunge and started the FTS way of eating....that was easy wasn't it

Next- Use the knowledge you learned from the book about label reading and remove EVERTHING from your home that's not within the guidelines of my program.

Next- Take an inventory of the ingredients you have left in the house. Pick a lunch and dinner recipe from the book or my cookbook and go to the store....get what you need. Do it again tomorrow and then again the next day. You are now eating the FTS lifestyle.

Next- Now it's time for you to run my three day "get in touch with your body test"

On this morning- DO NOT EAT breakfast this morning, DO NOT EAT anything until you are absolutely sure you're actually hungry. When that feeling occurs and you're sure you're actually hungry drink a big glass of water and wait 15 minutes. If you're actually hungry the feeling will come back within 15 minutes. Now, write down the time the hunger came on. Tomorrow you'll do the same thing, and the next day. You'll find the times are pretty close together. The trick will be to plan the morning meal just before that time hits so you never get ravished. You'll feel the beginnings of what you'll now recognize as true hunger.   NEXT STEP

Eat a high protein breakfast consisting of 3-6 oz of meat and 2 eggs. Don't eat any more than you need to get rid of that feeling, If you have strawberries, eat a couple for dessert. Now, don't eat again until you're hungry

Next meal (notice I say next meal, not lunch) the reason is simple, you may not experience true hunger again until 3pm maybe it will come at 1, we'll have to see. Once again, drink a big glass of water and wait 15 minutes. If you are truly hungry eat a high protein meal. The exercise is to go on for three days and when you're done you'll have a handle on our feeding schedule. It may be 3 meals a day, it may be 4. In my case it's 2. We'll have to wait and see.

Finally- Participate in the forum everyday, read the posts, interact with others and don't worry.

It's wonderful fun to EAT GREAT and lose weight!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie-Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »
Welcome to the Fat to Skinny forum family Dwolford.  You will find the members very helpful and supportive.  There are a lot of great suggestions and recipe ideas on the forum.  Good luck with your journey!

dwolford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome,ShihTzuMom1 .  I've been reading the forum and I'm very excited to get going.  This is a wonderful support group and a wonderful lifestyle change...how can I go wrong.  I'm in it to win it!!! :)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dwolford!  For me, participation in this forum has been SO helpful, and I know you will really enjoy it!  The people here are GREAT and so supportive!  Once you get past the detox, you are going to feel SO good!  It gets easier as you go!   :)

Rena

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
Welcome, Diane!  :)

joagain

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:18 AM »
Welcome, Diane!  It just seems so different from what we have always been taught ,so my advice is to forget everything you  ever learned about losing weight and do exactly what Doug and the book tells you .
  In 2-3 weeks you will be amazed at the changes that will happen to you !!!!! Welcome again !

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:34:34 AM »
OK Diane, it's time to step off the cliff, have faith and take the plunge :)  Welcome!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
Welcome Diane. The book is amazing and this forum will help you stay with your new lifestyle choice.

Welcome to the new you!!!   :) :)
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »
Welcome to the family, Diane! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I too am 59 years old, had HBP, elevated blood sugar (considered type II diabetic), and high cholesterol numbers.
In many ways, you are where I was back last August.

Since then, I am a new person thanks to Doug and the FTS lifestyle.
Check the topic thread at: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2199.msg19816#msg19816

Like you, we are all in this to win it too! ;D

This forum has the most supportive group of people you will find ANYWHERE!!!
Never hesitate to ask us any question or concern you may have.
Also, be sure to let us know about any challenges or successes you experience living the FTS lifestyle.
What you do today is what matters!

dwolford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.  I'm starting tomorrow and it's great to have such a wonderful cheering sqaud rooting for my success!  I'll keep you posted and I'm sure there will be questions along the way. :)

joagain

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:53:13 PM »
Ask away they will be answered  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »
Welcome dwolford! i am umpa,dougs wife.If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where i can convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly.Use the forum, follow the book and get ready to feel better then you have in years! :)

dwolford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I shopped today so that I'd be  prepared for tomorrow and wany to prepare some easy lunchs for work.  I'm sure I'll need your help along the way.

I've ogt my toe in the water ready for the plunge!

Diane

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »
hey D :)...welcome to the FTS forum......and i wish you all the success that many of us have enjoyed living the FTS lifestyle:) truely you can get much support from the family here,but keeping yourself focused and motivated is what will let you complete your journey & get healthy!!!    
     once you get thru the 1st couple of weeks,after the sugar detox, is when you'll really start to feel the difference:) stay focused and dont let others in your life try to talk you into falling off the wagon,its you & you alone that will either : get skinny,happy & healthy  or : just have this be another failed attempt in trying to do so:(
    we've seen many folks come & go .....its the ones that come & stay that succeed:) hope to see you around:) good luck!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:32:47 AM by katary »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »
I was the kid by the pool,PUSHING, people in the water!! :D