Author Topic: Wife needs help!  (Read 3664 times)

fatrichie

• View Profile
    • Avian Images
Wife needs help!
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:17:24 PM »
My wife is having a tough time folks.  She has been on the plan for two weeks, following it to the letter but at our weigh in today she is up two pounds!  Her goal is to lose 25 pounds, the first week she lost weight.  She was so disappointed after weighing.  I don't know what to tell her.  She is too shy to join boards like this or ask folks she doesn't know for help.  If anyone has suggestions for me, about how to help I would be forever grateful.

Rich

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
Re: Wife needs help!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
I'd say its not uncommon to lose & gain when 1st starting....but if gaining becomes more the norm,then she is doing something wrong:( more often than not people "think" they are following FTS to  tee,but something that they wouldn't think would remotely be an adverse affect to their success,turns out to do just that....either way i would suggest a food journal of (as Doug would say) EVERYTHING that passes her lips...when,how much, & what .....surprisingly most of the time people are not be honest with themselves on a daily basis when it comes to food consumption....a food journal can be a real eye opener:)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
Katary is right and offers some good advice, Richie! :)

Also consider that some ailments and/or medications can cause strange things to happen with our weight.

Another to consider is a faulty scale.
Those cheap analog models that use springs and spin a weight dial around are notoriously unreliable.
Many digital models are also less than accurate.

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest a Taylor 7506 Precision Tech Lithium-Battery Electronic Glass-Chrome Scale.
They are $27.00 (including shipping) at Amazon.com.

I took mine to my doc's office and weighed myself on it and on his digital medical scale.
They both had identical readings to 2/10ths of a pound.

And no... I'm not being compensated in any way for sharing this about my scale. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
Fatrichie the first think she needs to realize is she will not lose as fast as you that is for sure and then some  people just lose slower then others . just tell her to hang in there & dont quit

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »
Richie, has she read the book or is she just following your lead?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:40:34 AM »
Remind her about portion sizes, eating only when she is really hungry and to drink her water.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:45:30 AM »
Usually its something she is eating that you are missing.It could be splenda or a condiment.You can post her daily food intake and we can go over it until she starts losing.Did she go through detox yet?

fatrichie

• View Profile
    • Avian Images
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »
Doug, Umpa and others. 

She has read the book, she is maybe a little shy on the water.  Weekends are worse for her in regards to portion control.  She is going to pay more attention to portion size, as far as detox I believe so.  She had a couple real bad days late in her first week.  Feeling sick, shaky etc...  She is determined to give it her best shot.  I will suggest the journal (you don't tell a woman to do anything!!).  We are using Adkins bars, 1 daily, and sometimes an Adkins shake.  Mostly bits of pepperoni, cheese, cottage cheese, romaine salads with little or no dressing, almonds and water to curb the hunger.  It's working for me well.  I'm just afraid she'll lose faith and revert to Doritos and salads as staples.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
Hi Richie! :)

Watch out for cottage cheese!
Most, especially the low fat versions, are quite high in net carbs.

ALWAYS carefully read nutrition labels!!!

Also, if she is eating the same amounts of food as you, she may be getting too much or too little food.
Either one can cause stall outs.
Each of us is different.
She must must eat the amounts that are right for her.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:25:14 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

Mimzy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »
I agree with Tony about cottage cheese, all of the ones I have looked at are pretty high in carbs.  You might also consider changing the romaine salads to spinach, and drink plenty of water. 

Tell her not to give up, it will work! ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »
I hate to tell you this Richie but a couple of our type one diabetics had huge spikes in blood sugar with the adkins bars.The shakes I haven't heard of any problems ,but the bars I have. Usually with a spike in blood sugar means the carb count is wrong on the bar.What is the sweetner on the bars you have Richie??The sugar alcohols will also stall her weight loss. ;)