Author Topic: EXERCISE do you do it ? What & How Much ?  (Read 10403 times)

joagain

EXERCISE do you do it ? What & How Much ?
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
Just curious what exercise everyone does and how much they do Is it everyday ?

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Re: EXERCISE do you do it ? What & How Much ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:37:13 AM »
I wish I could but due to my foot issues I can't and I still have lost a bit. I am looking forward to swimming a bit this summer though. :)
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:49:03 AM »
I just got my brace off my ankle a couple of weeks ago. But my normal workout is 3 times a week on the treadmill for 45 minutes.Not for weight loss though more for mood and hormone levels.I am going through menopause.I try to do something physical everyday though,just move. ;)

Rena

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:08:07 AM »
I've been exercising everyday, although some people say I should take one day off. I start off with about 10 minutes of hand weights and resistance bands. Then I walk on a Bowflex TreadClimber for 30 minutes. Just recently my husband bought a recumbent bike to use, so I've been using that for another 30 minutes after my walk. It's a lot easier and kind of a way to cool down after the TreadClimber.

I guess that sounds 'extreme' with doing 70 minutes a day, 7 days a week, but it still seems pretty mild for me. I'm not overdoing anything and never feel fatigued. I did take last night off from the walk and bike, but then I felt guilty, so I did some stretches, hand weights, and some sit-ups/push-ups. I was really surprised because 6 months ago I couldn't do any sit-ups OR push-ups.

I was never into exercise much, except when I was younger. I'm doing this now mostly because in the summer we like to kayak and go hiking. I want to make sure I build up some muscle during the time I'm trying to lose weight. I read an interesting article yesterday about this and one of the commenters replied ...

Normally, to lose weight, you need to have:

1) Proper diet
2) Cardio (lots of cardio)
3) Weight lifting to keep muscle mass

1) Food: You should eat well, remove refined sugars, trans-fats, etc from your diet. Eat small 5-6 meals a day instead of splurging on several big ones. Don't go for the fad diets. Eat at least some vegetables at each meal, and control your portions (count calories if you can, but not 100% necessary). In the end, to lose weight your total expended calories must be less than what you take in. But you can eat well, and create a calorie deficit by exercising.

2) Cardio: If you are very overweight, start off with 15 minutes a day. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you get your heart rate up (aim for a heart rate of 140-165). Stay at that heart rate for 15 minutes. You can count your heart rate for 10 seconds and multiply by six for ease of use.

After doing 15 mins of exercise at least six days a week (seven if you can, but try for six at least) for three weeks, increase to 20 mins of exercise. Then 25, then 30. Ideally, you want to keep increasing exercising for 45 mins (work upto it). If you feel out of breath or experience pains...slow down and take a couple extra week to increase. There is no need to push yourself beyond your limit. The results will come, even if it takes you a year to get from 15 mins to 45 mins.

After you get to 45 mins/day, and you still want to imrove, or lose weight, then start increasing the intensity every 3 weeks. Remember to keep your heart rate at the target level. This is the most important thing. Normally, jogging is great. Start off by jogging slow, just slightly faster than walking. Don't be ashamed, you'll be jogging fast in a couple months. Don't push yourself. If you have to lie down for 30 mins after exercising, you did it too hard. After you exercise, eat a piece of fruit or drink a glass of milk (or exercise at a time so one of your five-six meals falls right after).

Remember, cardio is THE most important thing.

3) Weight lifting: The often forgotten component of losing weight. If you lose weight with just a diet, and possibly even with diet + cardio, you could be losing muscle, not fat. You should weight lift twice a week (three times if you feel upto it), working out the major muscle groups (biceps/triceps, chest, shoulder, back, legs, abs, calves). You can find proper weight lifting exercises and how much to do on various web sites. 30 mins, twice a week is enough. After weight lifting, have some protein/carbs immediately afterwards. For example, a banana and a glass of milk is good.

Anyone who tells you this is easy, is lying. You didn't gain the weight in a month, and you aren't going to lose it in a month.

A safe and aggressive amount of weight loss is 2 pounds per week (8 pounds a month, 96 pounds a year). If you are losing more than that, you could be losing muscle and its just going to hurt you in the long run (less muscle = less metabolism = easier to get fat again).

You will need to work hard to achieve success. Don't fall for fad diets or fad supplements that are more dangerous than staying fat. And of course, go for regular checkups and talk to your doctor before beginning anything to make sure you can handle it.

Obviously, this person isn't on a low-carb diet, but I still thought he/she did a good job explaining things, especially the part about losing muscle while you're trying to lose weight.

Rena

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
Regarding the quote above ...

I realize this isn't Doug's view and the book does say you can lose weight without exercising. I know that's true. The quote above wasn't mine, but a commenter from another site. For ME, I've lost weight without exercising, so I know it's possible. I also know a lot of people can't exercise for health issues or injuries. But the reason I'm so into it right now is because of the things I like doing with my family. It's pretty scary being halfway across a lake in a kayak with my boys and not feeling like I have the strength to get them to shore. So, that's why I'm exercising, not so much for weight-loss.

Just wanted to clarify ... as I know people feel different about this.  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:18:34 AM »
My Wife and I take 3-4 mile walks 3-5 times per week.
When I say "walks", I mean "walking with purpose" and not just strolling.
What you do today is what matters!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
I've been exercising everyday, although some people say I should take one day off. ...

There is an important reason for this, Rena.

When we exercise, we are causing mild tissue damage (i.e. very small tears) in our muscle tissues.
Our bodies gain most strength and endurance AFTER repairing this damage.
Allowing our bodies time to perform these repairs is an important part of getting (and staying) in shape.

This is why my wife and I don't exercise more than two days in a row.

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
its OK to exercise everyday,they say just not to workout the same area of your body on back to back days...sooooo generally i workout on the boflex every other day (3 days per week,sometimes i have to skip a day due to time constraints,glad i have that 7Th day to play with) and i try to walk 3-4 miles per day,at least 4 days per week>>> no matter how crappy i feel,i make myself do it,because i always feel rejuvenated afterwards & i sleep sooooo much better with regular exercise:)

Rena

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
Thanks, Katary. I've been switching things around too and that seems to help. Like you, I have more energy when I exercise and I sleep better. And since I homeschool my kids, I spend a lot of time sitting in the same place all day in our classroom. Between that and all the snow we've gotten this year, it's been good for me to get moving each day -- somehow.

joagain

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
Rena I homeschool Tyler  I think momx4 or mommaB  homeschools also . Dont you just love it ? I do teach Tyler a little better grammer then I show on the forum . LOL

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »
Katary's right, Rena! :)

If you switch up which muscles you work on consecutive days, you can exercise everyday and still gain maximum benefits from it.

Just don't work the same muscle groups day in and day out.
Otherwise, you may get muscular fatigue which can really mess up an exercise regime.

Rena

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »
Rena I homeschool Tyler  I think momx4 or mommaB  homeschools also . Dont you just love it ? I do teach Tyler a little better grammer then I show on the forum . LOL

Awesome! Yeah, it's really worked well for our family. We've been doing it 14 years. My girls are both older and have graduated, so now I'm working with my boys. There's a 10 year age gap between the girls and boys. Glad to see other homeschoolers on the site! :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 09:27:27 AM »
Exercise is wonderful for your body and attitude. It's great for your heart, lungs, muscles and general overall health. BUT if a person relies on exercise to lose weight without changing the ingredients that go into their body that create FAT cells they will ultimately fail.

Many factors can raise havoc with an exercise routine such as time restaints, illness and injuries to name a few. When this occurs the weight will pile back on with a vengeance.

TO lose weight- Change the way you eat and follow the FTS plan. Exercise will increase the speed in which you lose but is not a requirement for weight loss.

TO IMPROVE OVERALL HEALTH- Add some form of exercise to your life.

Rena, if you enjoy what you're doing stay the course and have fun, that's what life is all about  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:02 AM »
Rena, if you enjoy what you're doing stay the course and have fun, that's what life is all about  ;)

True. Funny how everyone feels the need to offer their opinions when you say what you're doing. I get that a lot when I mention 'low-carb eating' and people just start up.  ::)

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
I exercise 3 times a week.  (I do not homeschool and give huge credit to those who do!)
I usually walk/jog/run at different speeds and inclines for 30 minutes (as long as I am sweating, I just keep doing it till I hit 30 minutes).  I have now begun lifting weights after my walk/run because I have increased my stanima over the last few months that when I am finished on the treadmill, I  have the energy to keep going...so I added some weights. I just use the machines at the gym and do 3 reps of 12 or 15. 

I will admit that the 1st 10 minutes of my treadmill or elliptical workout is always spent "talking myself out of the workout!"  This is true...my mind wanders to "this is too hard", "only do 15 min. today"..."you can do more tomorrow."  Then the next few minutes is spent telling myself to SHUT UP!  By 15 minutes, I am in full swing and loving how I feel ("in the zone").

I have always had this internal dialogue that shuts me down...I have learned to tell it to shut up.

I would like to get to the gym more often or just take a walk outside (too cold still), but with 4 busy children and their activities,  3 days is all I can squeeze in right now...(there is that voice again) ::)

Regardless of the weight loss from exericising, it definitely clears my head, makes me feel energized and pretty proud that I shut that voice up!

Theresa

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess