Author Topic: Glucose Tablets  (Read 3729 times)

Delia the Crone

• View Profile
    • My Storefront
    • Email
Glucose Tablets
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »
I'm about to embark on a road trip, and I am hypoglycemic. Normally, I carry with me a tube of glucose tablets, for those moments that come upon me suddenly, causing me to be light-headed, dizzy, and in imminent danger of unconsciousness. But here I am on this new eating plan, and this is the only 'sugar' product I still use.  :-\ What can you tell me about using these tablets? Usually only one, but sometimes two, tablets bring me back into the realm of consciousness, until I can get to some real food. The ones I have ar Eckerd's brand and ReliOn.

Eckerd's:
o% fat, o% sodium, 1% total carb (4 gr sugars), o gr protein

ReliOn:
o% fat, o% sodium, 1% total carb (4 gr sugars), 0 gr protein
Author, Aradia: Gospel of the Witches, Retold;
Available at http://stores.lulu.com/deliathecrone
Also visit my blog at patriciadellapiana.wordpress.com

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Glucose Tablets
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Hello Delia, 4 grams of sugar is 4 grams of carbs. If you use one count it into your total. My suggestion is to carry some protein in your purse and snack away prior to this happening to you. Beef jerky would be a great choice. Make note of what time of day you start to feel lightheaded, you may be surprised to find the times are close each day. Add a protein snack into the mix and you most likely solve the issue.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
Welcome delia! I am so glad you made it! If I can help you please ask. I keep nuts or peanut butter in my purse for my wicked lows.The beanit butter from Dixie Diner is a zero and it does the job. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »
Welcome to the family, Delia! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Doug and Umpa are right!

I used to have a mild problem with hypoglycemia before I started living the FTS lifestyle.
But recently, the only dizziness I've experienced came from my blood pressure meds.
When my doc reduced the dose (due to my weight loss), the "dizzies" went away.

I also had high blood sugar (type II diabetic).
Last month, my doc took me off the Metformin drug and considers me no longer diabetic.
This was entirely due to living the FTS lifestyle.

Eating low carb and always keeping high protein low carb snacks handy will prevent the rapid blood sugar drops (and spikes).
As your system chemically "levels out", your hypoglycemia issue may get resolved.

One last thing... When we're new to this lifestyle, "sugar detox" can cause dizziness but it will pass within a couple of weeks.
What you do today is what matters!

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
Im a diabetic when I have a low sugar I drink a juice. I do NOT count it towards my daily carbs and it has not affected my weight loss at all.

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
beebs are you a fellow Clevelander?  Umpa thought you might be...and I would like to know where you buy all your low carb yummies.   ;D ;D

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:11:08 AM »
Mostly I buy them online. There is a place in Cinci I go to called Jungle Jims....