Author Topic: upset in Las Vegas  (Read 5592 times)

momma chops

• View Profile
    • Email
upset in Las Vegas
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
I am so upset this morning I got on the scale I had lost 7lbs . I did a double take, no that cant be true so I got on it again and I had gained 5lbs got off got on it again this time gained one more lb. got on it again gained one more lb. This means I did not lose at all I felt so upset no not upset so very sad . I just want to succeed this time no I need to succeed . I just dont know anymore . I just want to sit in a corner fill up on junk full and cry. I need help. Please someone HELP!!!!!

Thank you
                                                                                             liz

Mimzy

• View Profile
Re: upset in Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
Liz don't get discouraged.  First, it sounds like there could be a problem with your scale, it shouldn't change each time you stand on it.  Second, consider where you might be in your cycle it could just be water weight.  Also, if you haven't measured yourself do so.  I have found I may not lose weight (actually put on 4 lbs over the weekend  :( ) but you are still losing inches!  Remember to drink plenty of water!  It really does help.  Just don't give up, it will work  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:48:08 AM »
Hi momma chops! :)

First, don't let the stupid scale dictate how you feel... It doesn't care!... We do!!!

Secondly, if you do want to weigh in occasionally, get a good reliable scale.

The scale's readings should not change so quickly.
It's a sure sign of a bad scale.

See: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2305.msg20969#msg20969b
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:17:15 PM »
I'm sorry, Liz. Try not to get discouraged, but I know that's hard. My husband's weight fluctuates a lot and it's frustrating for him. His weight can change from 3-5 pounds or sometimes more. If it's not your scale, it might just be that you haven't passed everything yet. That takes time and it's probably not 'fat' you've gained. A lot of the initial weight you'll lose is water, so keep that in mind also. Sometimes it feels easier to give up and just go on a binge, but trust me -- that won't solve anything. You'll just feel worse. Just keep following your program and hopefully you'll see some changes soon. Good luck to you!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
STOP!  Do not sit in a corner, eat junk food and cry  :'( :'(......STOP. :o :o First order of business, go buy a new scale, secondly make sure it's on a hard surface  not on a flexible floor or carpet. Finally stick to the program and stop worrying, you will succeed, you must believe in your FTS family and your program. Scales can be very evil and should only be used once every couple of weeks at the same time in the morning naked after you go to the bathroom.

I promise you if you stick to the FAT TO SKINNY eating plan you'll lose weight8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
http://networkedblogs.com/faSxA

A writer friend of mine on Facebook wrote this article. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it gives you something to think about anyway. Maybe Doug can shed more info ...

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »
I’ll never forget how the bathroom scale controlled my life. It’s amazing how seeing the results in that glass window can determine whether you’ll have a good day or a bad day. A little weight gain and BAM! Instant emotions flowed through me.  First it’s shock, then it’s anger, finally frustration and of course it affects your day. A little weight loss and it’s the exact opposite, all smiles and joy. It’s important to realize that our weight fluctuates day to day and even throughout the day hour by hour. I’ll give you an example, did you know 2 cups of coffee weigh a pound? That’s right a pound, 16 ounces, as does a 16 ounce bottle of water.  If you’re like many people and drink up to eight 12 ounce glasses of water or a combination of other liquids per day you are pouring 6 pounds of fluid into your body. Does that mean you gained 6 pounds of FAT? NO, but try and convince yourself of that when you’re standing on the bathroom scale. This is big issue for the ladies who tend to hold water a bit more then men. Water weight fluctuations can raise havoc with your bathroom scale especially if the foods you ate and the beverages you drank the day before were high in Sodium. 

The answer is simple, STAY OFF THE SCALE.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:53:06 PM »
Definitely don't eat anything you'll regret when you don't feel so overwhelmed. You can do this. Listen to Doug and switch out your scale. A good scale can change everything. Also, it might just be water weight, give it a couple of days, stay faithful on FTS and when you weigh again it will be gone. I know how you feel, I got up this morning and finally weighed on my put away scale and had gained two pounds. I have been doing this long enough to not stress it though. Some days (especially us women) we weigh more than another day, so no need to freak...just try again in a day or so. You can do this, you can be successful but you can't let the scale dictate your feelings. It's about how you feel, how you are eating better, and how you're changing your life for the good.

Don't give up on yourself....this is you're life and you can do this!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

joagain

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »
Liz how did you feel before you stepped on the scale ? Did you feel like you had lost some ? I have done that more times then I can count . Woke up feeling great step on the scale & big let down feel like a failure AGAIN ! I dont have much to say on this because the scale is a very bad thing for me . It makes me forget all the good that has come from FTS , I have to be reminded by the forum folks or slap myself in to realizing it myself . Just try to stay away . :(

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 06:42:02 PM »
Hi Momma Chops, and welcome to the forum. It's a great place to be and you'll find lots of encouragement here.
It's interesting that when the scale indicated a 7 pound loss, 5 pound gain, 1 pound gain, etc... you chose to believe you had gained rather than lost, and didn't just quickly come to the conclusion that the scale is unreliable. I remember when I would have done the same as you - it's as if we set ourselves up for failure. If there was a way to say the weight/scale/circumstances are out to get me then I would find it.
Get a new scale. Get a digital with a life-long battery and put it on a hard floor surface. If the scale doesn't show a loss - and often it WON'T - then pay close attention to how your clothes feel. If the scale says you've gained - are your clothes tighter? Probably not. You're getting smaller and it will show on the scale over time, but perhaps not every day. Keep on keeping on, and don't let the scale dictate your life.  ;)

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 09:42:21 PM »
These were great posts.. Very interesting ;)     Doug, its funny but I never really looked at 2 cups of coffee being a lb.. something so simple to see and yet so hard that we dont see it...  ::) :o
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »
Please don't give up!!  We are all in this together.  You all are such a wonderful supportive group... I love being part of it.  ;D ;D  I gained a pound this morning but lost 1 more inch around the waist this week Woot Woot!!!!  Go figure... maybe it is just relocating  :P but I like to think that it is gone gone gone...LOL   

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 08:41:31 AM »
I think you should get a new scale. I have been fighting with mine for two weeks. The thing just didn't move, stayed to the exact same pounds and ounces everyday! So Monday I threw it in the trash can!! I am so tired of fighting it. I bought a cool new one, that the numbers "actually" change. Today I hit 180 pounds gone. If I would have kept that old scale I wouldn't be loosing anything. So toss the scale and get a new one. I bet you find there is a definite difference. :)
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Rena

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 10:31:50 AM »
Yay, Sherri!

I agree about scales. We have 3 in our house and they all say different things.

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »
I understand how upsetting that can be but hang in there.  I have only been on this new lifestyle change for 1 1/2 weeks, I keep telling myself that I did not put the weight on in 1 week so it won't come off in 1 week.  Take it slow and just tell yourself it is not a diet but a Lifestyle Change!  You can do this!