Author Topic: New weird low carb diet (Dukan) coming to USA?  (Read 5619 times)

F2S-Awesome

New weird low carb diet (Dukan) coming to USA?
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
Just watched the Dr. Oz Show about the Dukan Diet; supposedly all the rage now in Europe. Apparently used by the new Princess Katherine for her wedding etc. The 4 stage diet uses strict Ketosis in stage 1 (“Attack phase”), then goes more into a F2S-like phase for phase 2 (“Cruise Phase”), includes 1.5 tbsps. oat bran mandatory, then the 3rd phase (“Consolidation phase”) adds some carbs back, halts ketosis, and lets you eat 2 meals a week of anything you want. Then phase 4 (“Stabilization phase”) is one day a week (same day each week) where you eat nothing but protein, mandated 3 tbsps. a day of Oat bran, no using elevators or escalators, and 20 minutes of walking per day minimum. The other 6 days a week you eat anything you want, forever.  If they are correct and it’s coming here, I’m sure you will all hear about it soon. I for one, plan to stick to the proven and more stable F2S for sure. Anyone hear of Dukan yet? Thoughts? I just hope that if it does get popular, hopefully that will bring lots of low carb products back to the main stream market for us F2S lovers.

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Re: New weird low carb diet (Dukan) coming to USA?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
That sounds to difficult to follow. So many steps!!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »
It's a a high-protein, low-carb, low-fat plan, it reportedly helped Kate Middleton - now Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge - drop two dress sizes. As Prince William's bride walked down the aisle last Friday, looking slimmer than ever, she also inadvertently became a muse for those who want to follow the Dukan Diet, rustled up by French doctor Pierre Dukan in 2000.

The 29-year-old duchess had reportedly been introduced to the diet by her mother Carole Middleton, and is one of the biggest reasons that the book The Dukan Diet, is suddenly on the best-seller charts across the world. Its tagline, "The Real Reason the French Stay Thin" adds to the stereotype of the French who eat all the time but never put on weight.

Stick with FTS, it's much easier to follow and you won't struggle with sugar cravings which always come back on his plan.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »
Well, IMHO, even if phases 1 and 2 get the weight off, phase 3 will bring it back and for sure the phase 4 claim that once at your goal weight that you can then eat anything you want forever as long as: 1) you walk 20 minutes a day, 2) you never use escalator and elevators 3) you eat 3 tablespoons a day of oat bran and 4) one day a week eat only protein, seems totally crazy and there is no way it’s true, at least not for me and I’d bet not for most.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
Welcome to the family, F2S-Awesome! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I get sick and tired of watching hacks make money from others misery.
This duffus (Pierre Dukan) has simply bastardized a few low carb eating plans into a diet that's doomed for failure.

If you think about it, any person with insulin resistance issues (i.e. most of us here) were to eat anything they wanted 6 out of 7 days a week, would quickly become VERY FAT and stay that way!!!
What you do today is what matters!

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
oK, MAYBE I'm just easily confused... why no stairs or escalators? :P

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
lol, no, its no escalators or elevators, in other words “stairs only“, no free rides :)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »
lol, no, its no escalators or elevators, in other words “stairs only“, no free rides :)

See, told ya - easily confused lol!!

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »
lol, when u r right, u r right, too funny

Rena

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 01:44:36 PM »
The books have already hit the stores, even Costco.

If anything, I hope it makes more low-carb products on the market to help us on FTS!  ;D

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »
It will probably bring more products that will have hidden carbs though.  It might make things more confusing..... you know how they like to do so they can sell their product  :-\

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 04:10:22 PM »
If it does make low carb popular and mainstream again, even if only briefly, at the very least we might be able to save on shipping costs on a few things because hopefully things currently only available to low carbers on the web will now be at our supermarkets and wholesale clubs. We shall see. Only thing in that diet I’m curious about is the oat bran though, I wonder about that, its nutrition stats, and if it really helps with hunger.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:17:23 PM by F2S-Awesome »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
If it does make low carb popular and mainstream again, even if only briefly, at the very least we might be able to save on shipping costs on a few things because hopefully things currently only available to low carbers on the web will now be at our supermarkets and wholesale clubs. We shall see. Only thing in that diet I’m curious about is the oat bran though, I wonder about that, its nutrition stats, and if it really helps with hunger.

Hi F2S-Awesome! :)

If this thing catches on, it's possible that there may be a temporary benefit of finding more low carb items at local grocers.
Other than that, it does not have many redeeming qualities.

As far as oat bran (fiber) is concerned... Our bodies handle fiber similarly regardless of it's source.

Most fiber will absorb liquids (like water) and expand in our stomachs.
A good example is psyllium fiber. It will expand to about 10 times it's original volume.
Fiber is also known to lower cholesterol levels.

Since fiber does not break down during digestion, we get fuller faster when we include it in (or shortly before) our meals.
So, we get fuller faster. And in theory, eat less.
What you do today is what matters!

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:48:54 PM »
very well said Tony.. That is exactly what it does as per Nutrition class I just finished this semester.
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
I can say with certainty - I would not want to go through the repeated sugar high/ withdrawals!! :P