Author Topic: What are your staples?  (Read 6408 times)

Rena

Re: What are your staples?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
Thanks, ShihTzuMom -- I think I've seen Marie's here. I'll have to look for it, although I do like the taste of the WF Bleu Cheese. I've never tried the Ranch, only the Bacon Ranch, which I love. I'm taking some of the individual packets on my trip. I figured if anything, I can use them on a salad or drizzle it over a hamburger or something.

shawn116

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 06:30:05 AM »
Thanks ShihTzuMom!   8) 8) I had wondered about the Maries but hadn't looked at them yet....LOL  I don't know why but I figured they would be higher... goes to show you have to read those labels.  haha  I don't know if we get Renee's or not here.  I will have to look for that to.  I found some blue cheese crumbles by Treasure Cave that are <1 and <1 fiber so that is cool.  I thought if anything I could maybe make my own...LOL  Since I am eating a lot more salads these days it is nice to have a little variety  ;)  I love a Greek dressing with a little blue cheese crumbles mixed in.

Rena those individual packs are a really good idea.  I wondered if you need to keep those refrigerated?  I'm going on a two week trip next week that I am a bit nervous about.  Most of my stay will be in hotels.  So restaurant food will be the norm.  I'm getting better about spotting the foods we are not supposed to have but I haven't had to be on my toes all day every day for that long yet...LOL  It's way easier when you have it all planned out at home.  I thought I would take a few things along to help.  Like the low carb tortillas for sure, but those packets might be a good thing to.  I'm thinking of maybe making some muffins to take along as well.  Maybe a couple of sweet things to enjoy while everyone else is having cake and what not to celebrate graduations and birthdays. ( Lots going on for my family this month...LOL)  I'm also making a journal of foods I can have from the restaurants I think I might be eating at.  I was thinking it might be easier to know my net carbs before I go in...LOL  I'm probably over worrying but I don't want to be caught unprepared either.  I think If I do ok with this trip.... I will be able to handle just about any situation..LOL
Oh and thanks for the tip in the BP meds.... i was worried about that myself.... He said that if it got down low to stop taking it so i will have to watch it close for sure.  Might scare hubs if I fall out on him... ;) ;)   Good luck with your trip and have a great time  ;D

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
Jen are you making your One minute muffins with the almond flour?  Or with the flax meal....  I hadn't thought about using the almond flour for those.  I'm still looking for banana flavoring ( I was wishing I could find it locally) so that I can make the banana muffins  :o  Those sound pretty good to have for a breakfast.. 
[/quote]

I make them with almond flour, mine is 1gm per 1/4 cup.  They are so amazing!   :)  I use the SF Torani Syrups to add sweetness/ flavors to them.  My hubby eats a double and I eat a single every day.  I've not done them with flax because he doesn't like the flavor/texture of it. 

Rena

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »
TooSweet -- Yes, the HBP med thing can get scary if you're not careful. I was still on a high dose after losing 50 pounds, so I had to get it reduced. Eventually, I got off it altogether, which was good because I never liked how I felt on it. I was dizzy and light-headed a lot. Check with your doctor before stopping it though because I don't know if your BP can shoot back up if you stop cold turkey. I've heard it can. My doctor cut mine in half, and then in half again before I stopped taking it. Good luck!

As for the Walden Farms individual packets -- they don't have to be refrigerated unless they're opened. I'm taking a bunch with me to Disney World. Like you, we're staying in a hotel room and won't have access to a kitchen. I'm an RV person, so I'm used to having all my stuff handy. We will have a fridge though, so that will help, but we won't have a car to go into Orlando. There's a grocery store that delievers though, so we might be making an order with them. They even have unsweetened almond milk, but I'm planning on bringing my own with me. I've been doing the same as you and checking all the menus at WDW. If you happen to be near any Cracker Barrels, they have a low-carb section on their menu. Good luck and I hope you have a good time!

shawn116

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
I think I will be sure to order some of those to .... It's good to know about Cracker Barrel.  I think they have one of those just about every where...LOL  And thanks..you do the same  ;)

Jen I finally found banana flavoring so I will try the almond flour with those tonight..... It's funny I almost did a dance right there in Walmart!!   :o :o  LOL  I had to go to the one in the next town over.  I can't wait to try it now....mmmmm banana nut muffins!! ;D ;D

That is my new fun thing to do now..... searching different grocery stores.  It's like a scavenger hunt :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 07:11:44 AM »
I buy alot of my extracts and emulsions at Ross .(The Clothing-departmaent store)TJ Maxx and Marshalls sells them too.They are in the housewares ;)

Rena

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »
I buy alot of my extracts and emulsions at Ross .(The Clothing-departmaent store)TJ Maxx and Marshalls sells them too.They are in the housewares ;)

Oh, cool -- thanks. I'll check there today. I can find them at grocery stores, but they cost a lot. I'm curious to see if Ross or TJ Maxx has something unique or is a little cheaper. Thanks for the tip, Umpa.

shawn116

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
Oh wow thanks Umpa!

I would have never thought of looking in there....LOL

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
Hi, well I got my 8 pound bag of smaps and I love them. I do ½ a cup with ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk and I get a delicious morning (egg free) treat for 3 net carbs. So worth it. I forgot how much I love cereal. Missed it bigtime.
I have a couple gallon ziplock bags filled, one for work and one for home, and the rest I wrapped up really good. I hope it doesn’t go stale before we eat it all. The savings on cost and shipping a large 8lb bag to too good to resist. Thanks, you were right. Smaps are excellent!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
I have never had any go stale.Doug eats them right out of the bag with whipped cream squirt :D The granola cereals are really good too ;)

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »
excellent, thank you