Author Topic: Question for you.  (Read 2578 times)

snobles

Question for you.
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »
This may be a silly question, but I'm asking anyway! Since we've been on the "change of life," seriously, I used to get like 2 to 3 pieces of chicken, and some vegetables, out of habbit, and eat. Ending up miserably full. But like I said before I used to eat like that because I was "affraid" I wouldn't get anything to eat, due to the teens in the house! (grant I know there's other food in the house!)Well, I tried a little something tonight. I got one piece of chicken and vegetables, and I'm full and miserable! LoL...I have cut it back, gradually, now I guess I need to cut that in half? I want to be full, but without being miserable? Make since? I finally got used to the idea, that there's always something to eat, I'm just gradually seeing what my body can handle without "starving", like that's gonna happen! ;D I am trying to teach myself to eat and waite. Most of the time, I'm rediculously full. So now I guess I should cut it in half?
Also, why is it, that the inside of the stomache shrinks before the outside?! ;DJust wonderin.

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question for you.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:55:39 PM »
I totally feel you!  I was raised in the clean plate club; if it's on your plate you eat it all.  I am truly working on breaking that habit, but it is really hard!  I am trying to put 1/2 of what I normally would on my plate and eating it.  If I'm still not full, I can always go back and get more (but it sucks to get it back out once it's been eaten lol).  So far, I am finding that I am happy with half!  And if anyone can answer your last question, I wanna know too!!! ;D

snobles

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
@Jen. Thanks for helping me out! Wish it was the other way around! LoL! But it's very hard to break those old habbits! But we're slowly learning!

Rena

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »
Hi Snobles! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

I'm trying to reteach myself how to eat proper sized portions, too. Before, I'd have a full sized chicken breast or maybe even a little more. Now I'm sticking to having chicken tenders and only eating one portion, which is two smaller pieces. It's hard to retrain yourself exactly what a single portion is. That's why it's really helping me to keep track of my food on FatSecret. I lost 50 pounds not keeping track, so I know that it's possible. Then I hit a wall and figured I better see what I was doing. So far, it's helping me a lot and I'm back to losing again. I know on FTS we're not to worry about fats, calories, and all that, but it makes me feel better to see just how much I'm eating. If I eat something with a lot of fat for one meal, I'm trying to cut back for the next. Cheese was my biggest problem and I could eat several servings before actually sitting down for my meal. I love cheese, but am not eating it nearly as much for now. I will eventually, but I'm just trying really hard to get closer to my goal before I go on vacation.

But yeah ... old eating habits are so hard to break. I've also been working on eating slower, drinking more water in between bites, and putting my fork down like Doug suggested. I noticed tonight that my husband was finished with his dinner in half the time I was. He'll be hungry in a bit because he eats so fast. I don't know if you should cut your meals in half or not. That could backfire. If I were you, I'd just make sure you're eating a decent sized portion and eat slower to really enjoy your food. Your body will tell you when it's full. Good luck!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
Ladies have you switched to an 8" dinner plate instead of the larger one.  I found that really helps with portion control. 

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:45:37 AM »
You guys are great!!  I learn so much from reading these posts....  I think I have a portion control problem to.  I have noticed to that I can't eat as much as I used to...or maybe I fill up faster maybe but it is almost like I am afraid that I will be hungry again to soon.   LOL  I need to just relax and listen to my body more I suppose...  I like the smaller plate idea ShihTzuMom1.  It really makes since.  When my son was little he always wanted more than one sandwhich and would cry if I didn't give him more.  I knew he couldn't eat it though.  I would just cut his in fourths and he was happy.  I guess it is just a mind thing.... ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:17:31 AM »
I like to keep a pitcher of ice water on the table during meals.I find my guests refill often(me too) and I don't eat as much. I eat slow and that also helps,I am a picker ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:06 AM »
Our bodies need food for only one reason, to fuel the machine. AND with that said the amount of fuel each of us needs differs between people based on their activity level. You judge how much fuel you need by listening to your body once you've taken some fuel in. You should only eat enough food to satisfy the need. The best way to "see where your at" is to simply eat a small amount and wait 15 minutes....see how you feel. You'll know if you've eaten enough if you listen to your body. Use the FAT TO SKINNY portion size list as a guide to get you started.

I like to make a plate then cut the plate in half leaving 1/2 of the food on another plate on the counter. I'll then eat the food on my plate with a big glass of water and follow the 15 minute rule. In most cases the plate on he counter ends up in the fridge  :o

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

snobles

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
@Umpa, will have to try the water! and @Doug, I have been doing the waite for 15min. and it works!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
Hi snobles! :)

In a conversation with my doctor some time ago, he told me that the "normal" size of our stomachs is about equal to the size of ONE of our fists.
And that our stomachs will stretch to accommodate the amount of food we eat. And conversely, shrink as we eat less.

Using Doug's 15 minute test, you can find your true "fullness" without overdoing it.
If the amount you are eating is not much larger than the size of one of your fists, you're in the right ballpark. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
I swear, I must have been a PIG in another life. I can eat a big dinner and not feel full. :( I know I am, so I just have to step away, but I rarely have that full feeling.

Maybe because I exercise an hour a day? ???

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
I know what you mean rena I don't either ;)