Author Topic: Why tracking is so important  (Read 8336 times)

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
Why tracking is so important
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »
I thought I was being careful in tracking my carb intake, but after a stall, I thought I would start tracking my food intake and BINGO, now I am losing again... Started tracking on Monday and have lost 3 lbs...  It easy to lose track of your carb intake if you arent tracking.. Im sure some are experts by now, but I think I will stick to tracking and stop assuming...

I will update my weight loss in 5 lbs increments as a form of short term goals...

Happy Hump Day to all!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:04:14 PM by mouseissue »
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Rena

Re: Why tracking is so important
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:25:58 PM »
It's helped me a lot, too. In fact, by TEN pounds!

joagain

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »
What do you mean you were not  measuring your foods ? Or writing them down ? What do you mean by tracking ?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »
Alex I love that picture of you and hubby!You look very happy! :)
Congrats on the weight loss! ;)

Alex Cruz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »
Thanks Umpa... My last post didnt post..

Jo, at first I tracked my intake and then I became confident and when I stopped tracking, I stalled.. I started again on Monday and Ive lost 3 lbs...Tracking is crucial..

I did something bad and passed my carb intake, but I am back on track tomorrow... :'(
Alex

Rena

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:31:07 AM »
What's good about FatSecret is that all those 'little carbs' show up and add up, so I don't have to wonder if I remembered them all. For example, if I have cream in my coffee, but only use one teaspoon and not a full serving. Trying to keep track of that is hard and that's where FatSecret has been helping me. It's just the basic math, I guess. And some foods are obviously higher in carbs than others, so it helps remind me if I'm getting too close to the 20.

I like the site. I should have listened to my husband back in October. Ha!  :D

joagain

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:59:59 AM »
Oh ok ,Rena it is ok we are not use them being right thats why we dont listen too them !!! LOL Just kidding guys

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Yeah, I try to keep the carb count for the day in my head, but I probably need to start tracking better too!

Alex I agree with Umpa.....LOVE that profile picture!!!!  You do look SO happy!  ...Happy and gorgeous too!  What a combination!  ;D

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:06:38 AM »
I have to track as well.  And I use fatsecret to track my intake.  I have it set for Carbs, Fiber and Calories.  Lost 2 this week by being diligent and tracking everything!  I am around 15 to 18 carbs per day.  I am sure when I don't track all those trips to the fridge for a squirt of whipped cream, I'm going over 20 and not even knowing it. 

Alex, gorgeous photo!  :)
Theresa

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »
Hi Alex! :)

Great picture!!! :) :) :)

On another thread sometime ago, I talked about a thing called "Carb Creep".
Doug has also referred to it.

"Carb Creep" happens when we do not keep good and solid record of what we put in our mouths.
If we stop measuring using scales and measuring cups, our minds will tend to add a little here and there.
It gets even worse when we stop recording what we eat.
Before long, we are eating too many carbs and/or portions that are too large.
The first symptom is a stall out. :-\ The next is weight gain!!! :o

Remember that we spent years conditioning our minds to live as FAT people.
For most all of us, it will take years to retrain our minds to live as thin people.
Until then, WE MUST keep good record of ALL we eat!!
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 02:27:18 PM »
I measure everything, but I never wrote things down. And like I said, I might eat something, but it might not be a full serving, so those little unaccounted things do add up. What I like about FatSecret is that I'm so obsessed with entering my food and it makes me think twice about popping something into my mouth because I know I'll have to enter it.

It might not be everyone's thing, but it's helping me and I like doing it.

Alex Cruz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »
wow everyone, thank you all for such sweet generous words... My husband is my bestfriend and he brings the best out of me...

This has been my first week tracking like never before.. Rena, you are so right, fatsecret is awesome in giving you a pretty accurate carb count...when I reach that very close point, I know what dinner is going to be..

I love this forum.. This is a such a great group... :-*
Alex

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »
Here is a perfect example why tracking is so important.  Today I was in the car most of the morning and early afternoon.  Ididn't have time to track what I had eaten until just about an hour ago.  I was keeping a mental note so I wouldn't forget to add it to my food diary on fatsecret when I got home.  My mental note gave me 5 carbs.  When I finished entering in what I had eaten, it actually totalled 10.5 :o  I tend to forget about those squirts of whipped cream I am addicted to!  And the little cheese sticks at 1 carb add up quickly. 

I love fatsecret.  I can track on the computer and it syncs to my phone!  I always have my net carb count, my sugar count, protein count and just for fun I put in a column for the fat count.  But that doesn't seem to matter because I'm losin' bigtime!  :P

Theresa

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

Alex Cruz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »
awesome Theresa...  :)    that is exactly what was happening to me..  ;)
Alex

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »
I like worms.  ;D