Author Topic: Zero carb yogurt?  (Read 10674 times)

F2S-Awesome

Zero carb yogurt?
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
Hi Umpa, or anyone else, I looked high and low and the best low carb yogurt I could find wasn’t even close to low enough.
Is there a way to make zero or ultra low carb yogurt? Real yogurt, not heavy cream, cream cheese,
and WF fruit spread. That recipe may be good, but is far too expensive. I really miss yogurt. Thanks.

Rena

Re: Zero carb yogurt?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »
I imagine it would be tricky, especially if you wanted the live active culture, but perhaps it can be done. I know they sell those home yogurt makers, so ... ???

Kroger/Smiths carries CARBmaster yogurt, which is 4 net carbs. That's a little high for one product, but I love yogurt so much that it's worth it to me. They have great flavors, too. Dannon Light & Fit makes a low-carb one, but the containers are a lot smaller and it only comes in vanilla that I've seen. Those are 3 net carbs.

I went for months without eating yogurt, so I was really happy to find the CARBmaster brand. I usually eat one every night after my dinner. It's almost like a dessert for me.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »
Katarys nogurt is pretty low.I buy my heavy whipping cream at sams club or walmart for about $3 a quart.(the tall one) the cream cheese is there too really cheap.You could sweeten it with xylitol or stevia and omit the sugar free jelly.For flavoring you could use flavored sugarfree coffee syrup,extracts,emulsions , or fresh berries.
A few of the gals were talking about greek yogurt.I went to several grocery stores and the lowest I could was 6 carbs for a 1/2 cup.Did I answer your question?

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »
LOL, no Umpa you didn't answer it, hehe <teasin’> I challenge you to come up with an ultra low carb yogurt, or even better a zero carb one. I have no idea how to make yogurt or its ingredients but it seems do-able, no? I'm talking real yogurt now, not things that have a similar consistency :)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Awesome - I'm afraid the only way to get "low carb/ no carb" yogurt is going to be to buy a yogurt machine with the live cultures and start experimenting..  Most yogurts are made with low fat/ no fat milk which automatically raises the carb count.  I think even with making your own you would end up using heavy cream/ whole milk or something along those lines to keep the carbs down.  I agree with Umpa though, I know Sam's Club (and maybe Costco) carries giant containers of heavy cream for super cheap; definitely the way to go if you can!

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »
hmmm I'd be willing to get a yogurt maker if I knew i could make carb free yogurt. Can't it be made with unsweetened almond milk? I'd love to know how it's made and what goes into the mix. If Umpa could create a carb free or ultra low carb yogurt recipe, that would be awesome.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
I will put this on the list behind corn on the cob and popcorn :D :D :D :D :D :D :D!hahahahahaha!!!!!
Just kidding let me think on it ;)

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »
awesome thanks Umpa, I think tons here would love to see a f2s recipe for this

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:09:32 AM »
Actually so would I.I love  yogurt! :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
I am still working on this Tim ;)

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »
Hi Umpa  I don't have a homemade yogurt maker but have often thought I would want one.  I to love yogurt!!  I found this link while researching it.  http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2010/04/07/how-to-make-almond-milk-yogurt/       I just might have to go and get that yogurt machine now  ;)  I don't see why it couldn't be 0 carb depending on what you put in it... ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »
The vegetable starter,i wonder what the carb count is?I was suprised she only got 2 servings out of 2 1/2 cups water and 1 cup almonds.Interesting toosweet :)

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
I couldn't find the info for the veg starter but this one http://www.amazon.com/Yogourmet-Freeze-Yogurt-Starter-3-Count/dp/B001GVIS4M/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_b#nutrition-facts  shows 1g  for 1 cup prepared.  It even states that it is "Suitable for use with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet"  I'm really interested now..... the videos show it to be very easy.  I need to do some more investigating though.  I don't understand what it is that gives the carb count  ??? It doesn't appear that you are adding much to the liquid you are using anyway.  If I understand it right you can also just use a store bought yogurt as a starter.  If that is the case wouldn't you start with the carb count of the yogurt you add and go from there??  Or am I thinking of this wrong??  Hmmm... Looks like I might be looking for a yogurt maker....LOL  ;D ;D  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:10:00 PM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:07:07 AM »
Let me know what you find out i find fermented foods very interesting.I love Kim chi(did I spell that right).But when it comes to yogurt I make Katary's Nogurt with 1/3 less Philadelphia cream cheese which is 0 carb.Then I use the walden farms dips or jellies also 0 carbs.It has the same taste and texture for me.  ;)

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
You know I have yet to find a 0 carb cream cheese  ???  even the 1/3 less Philadelphia cream cheese I found today has less than 1 listed per serving :-\  Phooey!!!  LOL  Even at that just a few carbs for his recipe is way better than what regular yogurt has.  The Dannon carb & sugar control Light & Fit http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/dannon/light-and-fit-carb-and-sugar-control-yogurt has only 3 carbs but the serving is only enough to make you mad >:(  LOL