Author Topic: DIXIE DINER BISTRO BREADS  (Read 12357 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
DIXIE DINER BISTRO BREADS
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:08:21 PM »
I have to admit I was very skeptical when I saw these breads come out. Several other bread companies have sent us samples of their low carb breads and in every case they have not been able to account for their net carbs. Usually all it takes is a look at the ingredient list and you know its untrue. At Fat to Skinny we are very particular about recommending products because not only do we work with type2 diabetics we also work with type 1 diabetics. The problem with alot of these companies that they don't understand, is when products are mislabeled a person that is a type 1 diabetic is not able to take the correct amount of insulin and that can cause problems. Below is my review for Bistro Breads by Dixie Diner.

I was contacted by a couple of ladies here on the forum asking me about these breads.So Doug called Dixie Diner and had some samples sent over. I have to admit i was VERY SKEPTICAL! They arrived and the first thing I noticed was the smell when I opened the box.It smelled so good.We are in the Florida Keys were it is very hot so i was shocked they were not moldy because i knew there were no preservatives. I also noticed how heavy they were.
I immediately put them in the fridge per instructions.The first bread i tried was the Flax and Millet.(one net carb per serving)It had a very nice taste.Very sweet.

The second bread I tried was the old fashioned white bread this was also very good.(2 net carbs per serving)I toasted a piece and it reminded me of homemade bread.

The third and my absolute favorite is the RYE bread.(2 net carbs per serving)i also toasted this bread and the smell and consistency reminded me of my homemade rye bread, very fragrant! It made me want a corned beef sandwich!(after i write this review i am going to the grocery store for the corned beef)
I think all 3 of these breads will be a nice addition to your Fat to Skinny Plan. I think however next time I order these breads i will slice them when they arrive and freeze them in their bags and take them out when I need them, they are very filling. That way you also have a consistant carb count because you are not picking on them throughout the day.I also think for you readers that don't want to bake bread or don't have the time, this is a good solution.Very Good Product!

www.dixiediner.com    
(Additional Products made by Dixie Diner that we recommend are in the Fat to Skinny Product Guide)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:13:24 PM by Doug Varrieur »

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
Re: DIXIE DINER BISTRO BREADS
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »
Oh my goodness....how did I miss this! Oh wait...I hadn't started yet. hehe  I don't know if it's worth it but oh I miss my toast and sandwiches!
Thanks for the post...next check I'll try them both!
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
Slice them before you freeze them Izzet.If not they get alittle crumbly. :)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »
Umpa is this bread ok as well?  I see from some of my other products that Bakers's Deluxe is manufactured  by Dixie USA for distribution in Canada by LCG (Low Carb Grocery)  Foods Distribution, so I'm wondering if it is the same thing, only already sliced?   I agree with Izzet, just a piece of toast or a real sandwich would be great!!
 http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=132_215&products_id=2225 .

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »
WOW aren't you lucky in Canada! Nice site.  

Solution...we need to learn to make our own bread like this and find a recipe!  Ok Umpa get to work! lol

This looks pretty simple so I am making this as we speak and I'll let you know what I think! :)

foccocia style flax bread

rep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients:

* 2 cups flax seed meal
    * 1 Tablespoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener (xylitol)
    * 5 beaten eggs
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 1/3 cup oil

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:39:11 PM by izzet »
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

joagain

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
I wonder if I use the cornbread recipe if I put it in a loaf pan would it be good as bread ? What do yall think ?

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »
I was actually thinking of trying that myself!  :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »
Izzet I have Foccasia Flax in the new cookbook its excellant.poopzumom my only concern is the rye meal I looked up was 17 carbs a 1/4cup, but i don't know the measurements they use???.I trust dixie diner products however.I have been eating them for many years.Doug knows the owner and he is a honest man.
 ;)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 10:54:42 AM »
Umpa, your swear check is on, LOL!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »
I am SO SORRY!! :D :D :D i am typing too fast! i have a very busy day today! :D :D :D

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
No prob!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »
I have tried the bistro bread and it is great. Sliced it when it arrived and froze in individual bags. Just grab from freezer and warm in oven for toast with eggs, yum!

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
I just got my first order from Dixie Diner.  I am thrilled with the Beanit Butter and Bistro Breads.  I had a corned beef and Swiss cheese sammie on the  rye.  Boy was it great.  I cut the breads and froze them.  I can't wait to try the white bread.  I also got the fudge mix and key lime pie dessert.  I will post when I make them! :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 01:41:50 PM »
they are good you will be happy with all those products ;)

joagain

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »
umpa do the bristo breads not rise your sugar how many carbs are they