Author Topic: Whey Protein Dangers?  (Read 2736 times)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
Whey Protein Dangers?
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »
Hi everyone...been a while!  Busy busy busy with Hallmark as usual. lol  Only a few more weeks til the seasons are over thank goodness but many revisions on the horizon.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I miss you all!

Now to my tale....

My husband was discussing his inability to loose weight and gaining weight instead when he's walking several miles a day, eating less including replacing a meal with a whey protein shake.  A fellow co-worker who works out and is also a black belt and weight lifter said that whey protein shakes are only to be used prior to a vigorous work out and then must be flushed from the system with at least a gallon of water.  The protein in this form can cause problems with kidneys and possibly kidney failure.  This form of protein if not used during a work out can hang around in the kidneys and cause problems if it's not flushed out.  It also can affect your entire body including mineral content of the bones and associated with osteoporosis.  There are other side effect as well. Needless to say I was shocked as I've been drinking it for years.  I have noticed some changes but did not attribute it to the whey.  I wonder if it slows down weight loss, too since it's primarily for body builders.  I was just using it as a tasty protein source.  I personally will go back to regular food for breakfast now.

I just wanted to post this as cautionary.  Ask your doctor if you should be drinking whey protein and it's effects.

http://www.wheyproteindangers.com/
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Whey Protein Dangers?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:05 AM »
Hi Izzet we have missed you!!  Thanks for the post! I don't think soy protien and whey is the same is it???? :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »
Hi Izzet we have missed you!!  Thanks for the post! I don't think soy protein and whey is the same is it???? :)

They are completely different. Hi Iz..............Missed you!!  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »
Stick to fresh foods to maintain great health. A great piece of steak and a couple of eggs will carry you for many hours and certainly is much more fulfilling than a shake. :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »
I make a smoothie with the whey protein isolate maybe once every 3-4 weeks.  It's not something I have daily so I don't think it would be harmful since I always drink lots of water each day.  Everyone should be drinking large amounts of water with any food program that is high in protein.

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 02:49:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies...soy protein is different but doesn't it make women estrogenic?  I am bad about drinking water but I do drink iced green tea mixed with herbal peach tea which I think is good, right?  I agree with you Doug...a hearty breakfast is much better and more filling...I was just being lazy fixing a quick shake. lol

Good to hear from you all!
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:14:40 AM »
You cannot consume enough to cause issues.I keep Bobs red mill soy protien powder which is a zero carb in my pantry.It will fill you up quick.Especially after a workout ,a shake will fill you up until you shower and can make a nice meal. ;) I also use it to bake with :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
Hi izzet! :)

At one time long ago, my wife was drinking Slim-Fast (whey) protein shakes to lose weight.
She only had one meal of REAL food per day. The rest was shakes.

After a week or so, she got severe diarrhea, stomach cramps, gas, etc..
Needless to say, she promptly quit drinking them.

One person's sensitivity and reaction to whey protein may be different than someone else.
If it "agrees" with you, having some whey protein now and again should not be problem.
But overdo anything (including protein shakes), and there may be a price to pay.
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
You cannot consume enough to cause issues.I keep Bobs red mill soy protien powder which is a zero carb in my pantry.It will fill you up quick.Especially after a workout ,a shake will fill you up until you shower and can make a nice meal. ;) I also use it to bake with :)

I was curious about that too, especially when a friend of mine who does Weight Watches mentioned that her doctor told her not to eat soy. For her though, I guess she was drinking A LOT of soymilk, so maybe that was it.