Author Topic: TooSweets Flavored Almonds  (Read 9027 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
TooSweets Flavored Almonds
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
Hey guys

If you feel you have the time I roast my own at home and measure out a serving with the kitchen scale (usually about a 1/4 cup).  I make little bags with my seal a meal but you can just use little zip locks if you don't have one of those. 

I take my almonds and coat them with oil.   It doesn't take much but it helps bring out the flavor of the almond.  I used about 1 Tbs for 3 lbs of almonds (olive oil would work I think but I used canola because it is what I had)  Just dump them in a zip lock baggy and shake.

Place on a baking pan (large cookie sheet) spread out and roast for 10-15 minutes at 350.  ( I took mine out at about 12) 

Here is the fun part You can spice them any way you want. 

I took 1 lb and just added sea salt ( my favorite) 

1 lb I took 1/4 cup xylitol and a tsp of cinnamon and coated them ( if you put the cinnamon and xylitol in a coffee grinder and blend a few times before using it to coat your almonds, it seems to coat much better .....unless of coarse you are using the powder xylitol.  In that case you might want to adjust the amount and omit the grinding)

The last 1lb I used 1/4 cup xylitol with enough of coco that tasted good to me  ( the same with this mix in the grinder) 

I like the pre packaged stuff for convenience but you can't beat the taste of making your own fresh.  It is about time for me to make some more!!  LOL   

I'll be interested to see what you come up with Umpa!!  I bet there are other flavor's that would be good 

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

Re: TooSweets Flavored Almonds
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:46:05 PM »
Ooooh -- what about something hot & spicy?

Rick loves the Blue Diamond Habanero BBQ almonds.

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »
That's a great idea Rena  ;D

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
So I got board tonight and thought I would play around in the kitchen.  I had found a new seasoning and wanted to try it on the almonds.  I have really been loving the flavors that they have out there.  Rena I agree with Rick..... those Habanero BBQ almonds are probably my favorite!!   ;D  Suz and I both decided that it probably isn't a good idea to have those around to often ...LOL  Any way I found the Chili Lime flavoring at Walmart in the popcorn section.  It says 0 carbs with a 1/4 tsp serving.  I only used 1 rounded tsp for mine with about 2 cups of almonds.  Which makes 8 servings.  I have to say I believe I like them way better than the ones you can buy.  My problem with them is that they coat them to thick with the flavoring..... mostly way to salty.   :P  I like that I can control how much to put on.  I made three kinds tonight.... Chili Lime, Roasted with Sea Salt and Cinnamon.  It will sure be hard for me to pick my favorite here...LOL   

I tried a new way to do the cinnamon.  I put the cinnamon and zylitol on them before I put them in the oven.  This worked great.... the cinnamon mixture turned liquid like and then hardened as it cooled.  The only problem is I had to take them out before I really wanted to.  (they had about 4 more minutes to go)  I was afraid they would burn.  I think next time I will roast them for half the time, coat them and then finish roasting.  Be sure to stir them a bit while they are cooling so the yummy coating stays on the nuts and not the pan.  These are really good they just aren't as crunchy as they could be. 

The best part about making your own..... I bought my bag of almonds at Sams for about $11 (48 oz or 3 lbs)  I also just bought a can of the chili lime almonds for about $3.59 (6 oz)  quite a savings for just 12 minutes in the oven!!  ;D ;D

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
Rena I am on a quest to find a Habanero BBQ that I can use...LOL

If anyone knows of one please let me know  ;) ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
Very cool! Gotta try this! Have you tried the candied walnuts in the Bakery Book? :) Doug loves them!

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »
I just came across that recipe Umpa..... I think they would be very dangerous to have around...LOL   I think for sure I do like the cinnamon the best but then again I always love the sweet stuff the best  ;D ;D  I'm thinking of trying it with the walnuts tonight  :D :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
Substituting pecans for the walnuts is also very tasty. ;D
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
OH you are right Tony!!  I bet they would be very good  :)  I think I may throw some of those in to.   ;)

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
Here is a new nut recipe that I came across.  Oh man are they good!!  They would be great for any get together or just a snack to have around.  Warning though....you should portion some up before you set them out for everyone else.  That way you can eat the pre portioned and know you aren't over doing it.  They are crazy good  ;D

Five Minute Sweet Spiced Pecans

2 cups pecan halves (I used a mix of pecans and walnuts)  Pecans are so expensive!!  I need to plant me a tree  LOL
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp cayenne or other hot pepper
artificial sweetener equal to about 3 T sugar (I used 8-10 drops of zero)
4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

In a non stick skillet melt butter.  Add sweetener now if using liquid, hot pepper and nuts.  Saute on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes watching that they don't burn but until they are just starting to brown.  Stir in the cinnamon (the sweetener if you aren't using the liquid) and salt..... turn out on wax paper to cool.  Your house will smell amazing!!   ;D ;D

I wish I could take credit but here is where I found it  ;)   http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/spicypecans.htm

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
I just bought some Emerald cinnamon almonds.I told Doug I need to make my own ;) Now I can.Thanks for the recipe TooSweet ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
Hi Shawn! :)

This sounds delightful! :)

Just bought a bag of pecan halves from Costco.
Thanks to you, I know what I'll be doing with part of them! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »
This is my new addiction!!!! I think i wanna try cardamon and ginger ;)

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »
Mine too   :D :D  I try not to make them too often...they are addicting   ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
Umpa made these the other day using Pecans, they were delish!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)