Author Topic: Plateaued before even getting started good!  (Read 6074 times)

gpod97

• View Profile
Plateaued before even getting started good!
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:58:55 PM »
Hi my new FTS friends,

My friend "maddiesmom" told me about FTS. She has done exceptionally well and I'm SO proud of her. As most of you know she's lost 80 somthing pounds!!! She is an inspiration to me. As for me, I need to lose about 50 pounds, and my husband needs to take off 100lbs. I am an animal lover with 5 dogs and 2 cats. I walk my dogs (yes, all at the same time), about 5 times a week early in the morning before it gets hot. We walk 3 to 4 miles each time. So I get an ample amount of exercise I think. As for the diet, we have ditched the sugar, white flour, bread, potatoes, etc.......Funny how with the "replacements" we haven't missed the old things. We love the creamed cauliflower just as much as the creamed potatoes, and eating the sugar free deserts occasionally instead of the sugary stuff. Soft drinks have never been an issue because we really don't like the sugar ones (too sweet), or the diet ones because they leave such a nasty after taste. Instead, we just drink water or crystal light (lots of flavors to choose from too). Went to the doctor for a check up today and he told me that I definitely have the exercise down, but that evidently I'm still eating too much food. I'm doing a heck of job at maintaining at 192 or 193, but that's not the goal here. By the way, I'm 5'6" We have been "doing" the FTS lifestyle for about a month now. Maybe it's not enough time to start losing yet. I guess I also need to think about cutting back on the food even more than I have.   

My

joagain

Re: Plateaued before even getting started good!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
First of all Jan is a STAR here too . We do have to watch our portions that is for sure . Just stick to it and it will happen

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
Hey gpod97!!  Girl, welcome to the forum!!  I am SOOO glad you are here.  These folks on here have ALL the answers, and you will not believe how supportive everyone is.  I seriously would have fell off the wagon had it not been for getting on this forum EVERYDAY!   Just knowing I have a "family" of friends out there walking this same path somehow makes it all easier.  Oh my goodness....go look at Sherripie's pictures!!!  They are on the thread titled "200 pounds gone forever".

Jo, you are so sweet!!  :-* 

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »
Hey gpod97  Welcome to the FTS family!!   :)

I know it can be frustrating to not see the scale move.  Mine had been stuck for the last week or so  >:(  I almost always find that my portions are sneaking up a bit.  But also have you measured yourself?  When I first started I would loose a little bit and then not, but I was loosing inches along the way.  You might want to check your measurements and see if there is a change there..... Just a thought  ;D  Good luck on your journey!  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
Welcome to the family, gpod97! :) :) :) :) :) :)

You've received some excellent advice so far, especially about portion control.

If you stay under 20 net carbs per day and are still not losing, try reducing your portion sizes.
If this doesn't work, avoid all sugar alcohols (sugar free sweets) for a while.

In any case, drink LOTS of PLAIN water!... Drink at least 64 oz. every day. More if you're perspiring.
Water will help your body with the fat burning process.
Becoming mildly dehydrated, will often cause weight loss to stop.

If all else fails, try reducing your net carbs per day.
Start with 15. If no go, try 12.

I am one of the "slow losers" here.
No matter what I do, I lose several pounds every 2-3 weeks. Sometimes, a bit longer.
I've found that I'm usually losing inches even when the scale doesn't seem to move.
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  Jan is a star, she inspired me to start this lifestyle.  Hang in there and stay on track.  I am losing slower than I would like but I feel so much better!  When you cut back on the carbs (under 20) be sure you still get the protein and calories that you need to function!  I have noticed that if I drop below 14 I really experience light headiness. 

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
Awh thanks Amber!  ;D  Hey, I see you have lost another pound!!  You GO girl!!   ;) 

joagain

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »
JAn has lost 83 freaking pounds !!! You go mama !

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
Thanks Jo!   ;D  Lost a pound so far this week and ate your ice cream too!  Life is good!!!! 

gpod97

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »
Thanks everyone! Yau'll are so kind and welcoming! You too Jan! I have taken note of all the advice I've received and will apply it. I'll report back in a week or two with an update. Hopefully by then the scales will have moved! I know that taking the inches off is important too. A couple of years ago just due mainly to a ton of exercise at the gym and small portions I was able to get to 182 lbs from my top weight of 212lbs. It really wasn't a huge weight loss but because of the inches that came off as well, everyone thought I had gone through a gastric bypass.....funny!  I was able to keep it off for about a year before I got just burnt out from being in the gym all the time. Little by little the weight came back. I wonder how many of you can relate to this scenario? 

joagain

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:51:01 AM »
All of us . If I had dollars  in place of all the pounds I have lost and gained back in the last 30 years I would be very  very wealthy

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »
You can say that again Jo....  :-\

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
Amen. Jo! ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
Thanks Jo!   ;D  Lost a pound so far this week and ate your ice cream too!  Life is good!!!! 

Hi Jan! :)

Life is VERY good with the FTS lifestyle!!!

BTW, congrats on losing the pound! :) :) :)
You and I are inching are ways closer to our new bodies! ;D ;D ;D

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 02:14:20 PM »
Thanks Tony!  Your ticker is looking great!! We are gonna get there!!
I've cut my carbs back to 12 since last Thursday, and this morning I was down another .4  ;)   I know I shouldn't weigh everyday, but I just can't help it!  lol