Author Topic: Spagetti Squash ideas?  (Read 6702 times)

gpod97

• View Profile
Spagetti Squash ideas?
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »
Hi all,

I love to put spagetti sauce over spagetti squash. Hubby doesn't like it as well as "real" spagetti noodles but says he will deal with it. The problem now is I haven't been able to find a spagetti sauce with low carbs. I used to use Classico. I think I saw somewhere where Doug put an alfredo sauce over the squash but we didn't like that at all. I bought some spagetti squash just the other day but don't know now what to put on it. Any suggestions? :)

eliruthy

• View Profile
Re: Spagetti Squash ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:16:29 PM »
Hunts has a sugar free 4 carb per 1/2 cup sauce---the only place i can find it here is at save-a-lot.  They have a specific product finder on their website.  I bought 5 cans but haven't tried it yet, but every sauce can be juiced up with onions/garlic etc....

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
Melted butter with a little pesto is good,top with lucatelli romano or Parmesan ;)

gpod97

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
Thanks eliruthy for the info on the Hunts sauce. I just think 4 carbs for just 1/2 cup is alot! It may be that all canned spagetti sauces will be high in carbs. Haven't looked enough yet to really know. I do like pesto sauce and have bought one before at Sams Club. Umpa, where will I find lucatelli romano cheese? Does it come powdered in a can or in a solid block? I've never been a big cheese eater.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 09:28:11 AM »
Pesto comes in a small jar in the spaghetti aisle.A little goes a long way,especially if you mix it with butter and cheese.Sams club is the best place to buy Lucatelli or any good romano cheese.i buy all my cheeses at Sams Club.You can make your own pesto too all you need is a basil plant,olive oil,cheese.Leave the pine nuts out they are very high in carbs. ;)If i can help you please ask,I love italian food :)

gpod97

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
Umpa, have you ever bought ready made pesto sauce from Sam's Club? It's been awhile since I had it, but I remember that it was really good! ;D Do you know if it contains the pinenuts or how many carbs are in it?  :-\I will go there next week and check it out. I'm not one to make anything from scratch.....I have such little time.  :(

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
If I buy pesto its usually at Tj Maxx Homegoodz.They have really cool pestos.I just bought a cilantro one. ;) I havent looked at sams club yet.Alot of companies have gotten away from pinenuts cause they are wicked expensive,just look at the carb counts.I buy alot of stuff at sams club though.
So I asked you on another post gpod,no sleep, no time are you a new mom or have grandbabies visiting?? :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »
Welcome to the forum Gpod97, looks like your on the right track with your husband. Have you tried the Konjak or Shirataki noodles yet? They are lower in carbs than the spaghetti squash giving you more wiggle room on the higher carb pasta sauces.  ;)   http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/category/asian-noodles

We love them  ;D

Have you ever made your on fresh pasta sauce? I saw what you said about limited time but try this; It's fast and delicious.

Ingredients

6 plum tomatoes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

Directions;

1- Chop up the tomatoes
2- Throw everything into a food processor or blender and puree it.
3- Bring it to a boil in a small saucepan then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered until the quantity is reduced by half.
( remember to stir occasionally to avoid sticking)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

gpod97

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »
Hi Doug, Yes we did try the shirataki (spelling?) noodles. I found them at Publix. Unfortunately, we didn't care for them at all.  :P We have always loved spagetti. For years I used the whole wheat spagetti noodles thinking I was doing really good until I found out about your FTS way of eating. We can "do" with the spagetti squash however. I like it better than Hubs, but he isn't completely opposed to it at least. Umpa, I turn the big 5,0, this month. Yikes! Where has all the time gone??? When our two daughters went to college I also went back too and picked up where I had left off 30 years earlier. My first semester back was the fall of 07. Last year due to certain circumstances I only took one class. I am finishing up my last semester at the local college. Basically it has taken me 3 years to get a 2 year degree. I was planning on pursuing a bachelors degree in nursing. Unfortunately, the doors in that direction haven't opened up for me. I'm O.K with that now. Going to take a least a couple semesters off after I graduate the end of this month. I love doing eBay and Craiglists. Going to take a couple of eBay classes and take one of my five dogs to dog obedience training.  :D :D Also thinking of taking a pharmacy tech course as well.  ;) I can't wait to actually have my life back again for awhile!!! This is why my time is so limited just now. It will be over in 4 more weeks. I'm counting down!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
Try the miracle noodles ,lighter consistency ;) thinly (julianned??spelling) zucchini also works.I use a mandolin too for eggplant to make lasagna.
I am so happy for you!! You are really attacking your life with a vengeance!!I saw no sleep+no time= children :D :D :D
My children are also grown and gone(God bless the child that owns their own home!! :D)
I also have 5 dogs! all of which need obedience training according to doug!When the kids left home I looked at my husband and said more babies or dogs,he picked dogs! :D Now we don't even know if we are dog people.  :)

gpod97

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
Umpa, your Yorkies are just adorable!!! My dad also has a little yorkie named Binky that is his constant companion now that he is retired and is pretty much a shut in. His leg had to be amputated just above his right knee. He could get around much better if he wanted to, but he just doesn't want to.  >:( All of our dogs are rescues that we've had for years. We have a 12 year old golden retriever named Reggie, a two year old lab mix named Beau which is our newest addition as of a year ago, an 11 year old pomeranian named Dakota, and two chichucha mixes named Maggie Mae and Otis. Each one as you know has their own sweet little personality. I can't imagine life without dogs! Oh, and we also have 3 cats........chloe, riley, and tom. Two more weeks until I graduate. Can't wait! I SO want my life back again!  ;D By the way, I have used "strips" of zuchinni in place of egg noodles in my lasagna, but honestly didn't like it at all. I've not thought of of using the zuchinni as spagetti noodles in juilenne style. Will give that a try. I started the FTS way of eating about 6 weeks ago. Have been VERY faithful to it. Am not gaining a pound, but the scale hasn't budged. I don't weight every day for good reason. I am still where I was 6 weeks ago at 190.4 according to my digital scale. I wish I could say my clothes are getting bigger, but they too are staying the same. GGGGRRRRRHHHHH!!! I won't give up however. Hubs is doing this with me (he's not losing either), but says he doesn't feel as bloated. He thinks if we just keep on keepin on then one day something will happen.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
Hi Gpod, not sure if you saw my other post directed to you, but you need to list your food this week ...everYthing, and I mean EVERYTHING you're eating and drinking including quantities so we can find the problem.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:28:41 AM »
I like eggplant for my lasanga noodles,just panfry couple minutes before using and score it as you put it in the pan. ;)
Doug is right you need to write on the forum what you are eating so we can see what you are missing. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »
Hi gpod97! :)

Here's where FTS forum members post their meal plans; http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=32.0
What you do today is what matters!

gpod97

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
O.K. I will write down EVERYTHING I'm eating and drinking this next week. Will start writing tomorrow. Hopefully you all can point something out that will help me. I do keep those Werther's sugar free hard candies in my car for when I need something to just take the edge off when I can't get to actual food right away. It really works too. I also keep the Russell Stover's mint thins, mounds, and toffee candies in the freezer for when I'm really craving sweets. I'll eat a piece or two and it will do the trick for when I'm at home. I like to keep all my bases covered! ;D I also buy the sugar-free puddings and the zero carbs land of lakes whipped topping. Sometimes I'll eat a pudding instead of the Russell Stovers candies to switch it up. Today I can tell you I had the following:

A.M. Coffee only with a tablespoon of half in half creamer and some stevia to sweeten with (wasn't hungry so I didn't eat)

Noon  I had a cup of chicken salad that I made using some stewed chicken, onion, sugar-free relish, and a little dukes mayo along with about a half cup of my homemade coleslaw which is just grated cabbage, onion, some more dukes mayo, and some tomatoe. Also had a couple pieces of Russell Stover's sugar-free toffee candy, and on the way to the chiropractor this morning while in the car I ate a couple pieces of sugar-free hard candy. I drank about a half a glass of crystal light ruby red grapefruit.

1:00 Another cup of coffee with a tablespoon of half n half creamer and some stevia sweetner.

3:00 I ate a pancake about 3 inches in diameter (tastes more like a no-bake cookie). It was off the FTS receipe exchange. It's the chocolate coconut pecan ones. I made these a few days ago but apparently didn't do something right. They just wouldn't cook. I just put them in the fridge (there were only 3 total). Just ate the last one.

Not hungry now at all. Hubby just called and said he wants to go out for dinner tonight. Will most likely get a steak or grilled chicken,  a salad and some steamed veggies. Also I'm NOT a big water drinker like my husband is. He drinks more than a gallon a day for sure. I'm lucky if I drink 32 ounces. I prefer crystal light instead if I drink anything. Will start writing everything down in a journal tomorrow and will post to the forum at end of week.