Author Topic: Tofu is awesome! LoL...  (Read 5011 times)

snobles

Tofu is awesome! LoL...
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »
It's the weirdest thing I've ever heard of! It only has 2 carbs in the whole package! We made sausage patties with mushrooms and onions for dinner tonight, we took a little piece of the tofu to try it out, and OMG!!! The best thing I've ever had, well, next to cheese cake, but we don't wanna start on that subject! But, it's weird how it absorbs the flavor of it! Y'all should try it!

Rena

Re: Tofu is awesome! LoL...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »
Interesting. I'll have to give it a try. I've been doing the "pick it up and look at it" thing in the store for awhile. It might take me awhile -- ha ha -- but I did it with soybeans too and now I can't get enough of those.

I'd rather not talk about the Beanit Butter.  :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »
Tofu is  cool! There is so much you can do with it! ;)
Rena want a cookie??? :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Try this recipe....it's delicious! This is the recipe we developed to replace Macaroni and Cheese

Macafoney and Cheese Primavera

INGREDIENTS
1 pound extra firm tofu
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/3rd cup bertolli alfredo sauce
2 eggs

½ cup chopped red bell pepper
½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
½ cup chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoons ground parmesan or romano cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 lb. tofu ( extra firm, well-drained, and cubed into ½-inch cubes), 2 cups cheddar cheese, 2 eggs, beaten, 1/3rd cup Bertolli Alfredo sauce, ½ cup chopped red bell pepper, ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper, ½ cup chopped mushrooms & salt and pepper.  Pour mixture into a well-greased, shallow casserole dish, individual casseroles, or pie plate. Bake at 375°F for 30-45 minutes until golden brown and slightly crunchy on top. Sprinkle grated parmesan or Romano cheese on top prior to serving and garnish with a basil leaf.   

TIP - Cook this recipe in individual baking dishes, prepare extras, and freeze uncooked inside individual bake wear for a fast easy meal. Add chopped ham or leftover chopped chicken for a hearty variation. You can remove the veggies to lower the carb count further.

You can watch me make it in this video, it's one of my oldest vids, kinda cheesy.....no pun intended  ;)

FAT TO SKINNY Cooking Show features Macafoney and Cheese!   
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
Rena want a cookie??? :D

You are evil ... you know that, don't you? :D :D :D

Seriously though, I need to give this tofu stuff a try and make the Macafoney & Cheese.

Rena

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:18:54 AM »
Love the scream and baby news in the video. That's a keeper!

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »
Hey guys

You all may already know this but I though I would share a tip on freezing.  If you are low on the baking dishes like I am and want to freeze this for quick meals in a snap.  Line the dish you intend to bake it in with tin foil.  Spray with cooking spray and add ingredients as usual.  Put in freezer.  Once it is frozen solid lift it out, wrap well and place in freezer bags.  You now have the dish free to use for other things and your item will stack better in the freezer  ;D ;D  When you are ready to bake your goody, place it back in the dish and bake away  ;) ;) 

I really need to try this recipe I think.... I don't really miss mac and cheese but I think hubs might like this one

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
That's a great tip, Shawn! :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:19:08 PM »
Macafoney & Cheese ~ Tried it tonight. Very interesting and I am undecided!  Husband seemed to like it and I wonder if the flavor will be better tomorrow as leftovers?  It might be a texture thing for me but I will try again.

Rena

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:21:52 AM »
Cool, Amber -- let us know. Rick didn't get a chance to stop and get me some tofu, so I'll probably make it on Friday or Saturday instead. Curious to see if I'll like it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
There are several different ones Rena make sure you get the extra firm for Mac and cheese.The silken is for shakes.I like to put tofu in my cheesecakes too.The recipe is in the book.
I know I am wicked I just can't help myself! :D

Rena

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »
There are several different ones Rena make sure you get the extra firm for Mac and cheese.The silken is for shakes.I like to put tofu in my cheesecakes too.The recipe is in the book.
I know I am wicked I just can't help myself! :D

Okay, thanks! Good to know because I've never bought it before.

I really want to try some of the cheesecakes and such, but I think I need to stay away from the desserts until things start moving again for me. I realized I had way too many sweeteners yesterday. I felt okay, surprisingly, but today I'm making a conscious effort to stay away from all of them if I can. Definitely want to try the Mac & Cheese though. I didn't eat that often before FTS, but of course, after you stop eating something altogether is when you start wanting it again. Go figure.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:44:52 AM »
I never liked mac and cheese.It always tasted like mush to me.I like my pasta aldente.But I love the mac and cheese doug makes especially when he put ham in it.The kids love it too. ;)

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
This is the one I bought at Wal Mart. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »
This is the one I bought at Wal Mart. 

That's the one....for a crisper mac and cheese spread it out in a larger baking dish so it's not so thick. You can also sprinkle a layer of shredded cheddar over the top for a cheesier mac and cheese....I love the stuff :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)