Author Topic: SF Meringue shell cookies (lemon?)  (Read 2282 times)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
SF Meringue shell cookies (lemon?)
« on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »
Umpa:

I tried and flopped trying to make SF meringue shells as a snack.  I think I beat them too long and it just fell in the middle of making them. I used eggs, xylitol, a little vanilla, lemon juice instead of cream of tartar and 1/3 cp of crushed pistachios.  It was fine and fluffy and then I turned around it had fallen and became like soup. I used my old Sunbeam mixmaster on the egg whip setting. I read somewhere you need to have the eggs room temperature and if it's a humid day it will fall.  Well, it's 100+ here today but not in my apartment I didn't think. lol I'm going to try the recipe below the next time and use the gelatin.  How much xylitol should I use.

Lemon Meringue Cookies Recipe

Yields: 50 cookies
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 90 min

Ingredients:

1 (.3-ounce) package sugar-free lemon gelatin
1 cup super-fine or Baker's sugar (substitute Xylitol but only use 1/2 cup?)
6 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the lemon gelatin and sugar together.

In a large bowl using your electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. While beating, add salt and cream of tartar. Add the gelatin/sugar mixture to the egg whites gradually (a tablespoon at a time) while beating; beat to stiff peaks.

Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto non-stick baking sheets. Bake 90 minutes; turn off the oven, open the door slightly (secure with a wooden spoon), and allow cookies to cool in the oven. Remove from oven and store in a tightly covered (airtight) container.

Yields 50 cookies.
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SF Meringue shell cookies (lemon?)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:58:28 AM »
This recipe sounds heavy to me. These cookies should be light.Katary did a video did you try his? they turned out beautiful! :D :D
Let me know Izzet if you want me to do a recipe.The chocolate and anise are my favorite.
If you do this recipe start with 1/4 cup ,add more after tasting.These shouldn't be too sweet. ;)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
Re: SF Meringue shell cookies (lemon?)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
I searched for meringue in the desserts but didn't find anything so I'll look or the video by Katary.  Thanks!
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!