Author Topic: Coccyx Pain  (Read 2557 times)

Rena

Coccyx Pain
« on: July 15, 2011, 09:23:44 PM »
I know I've joked about this in the past -- like sitting down on a bench seat at McDonalds and thinking I'd sat on a rock. Everyone joked back saying I'd lost all my cushion surrounding my tailbone. I guess that's true to a degree, but it was getting to where the jokes weren't funny anymore and the pain was getting bad. It really hurts if I lie back in the tub, so I've learned to turn at an angle before I do that. I've also started doing sit-ups (well, as close to sit-ups as I can manage) and that's a real killer on the tailbone. Ouch!

So, I looked into cushions for the coccyx and found there were something like ten million to choose from. The reports all went from good to bad, no matter which one I looked at. So, I ended up getting the cheapest one I could find just to see if it helped. The good news is -- IT HELPS!

I write children's books, so I'm sitting a lot. And during the school year, I homeschool my kids, which means more sitting. Yesterday I spent a lot of time sitting working on a story and by the end of the day my tailbone wasn't nearly as sore as it usually is. So, this cheap little pillow really helps. What was interesting though was that when I went to research coccyx pain, very little came up for weight-loss. Mostly, the articles I read all mentioned a fall or injury or pain from pregnancy. I hadn't fallen and my last pregnancy was over 9 years ago, so I knew it had to be from weight-loss. The only information I found on that was from reader's comments. Very strange.

I blogged about it here -- http://renajjones.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-butt-pillow.html

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Re: Coccyx Pain
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:52:58 AM »
You should go see a doctor. Maybe you've always had an issue there and the weight helped cushion it. Being a writer myself, I can't imagine being in pain while sitting. We sit all the time, for hours writing and that would make it almost debilitating.

Poor thing!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »
I agree with sherripie Rena :) Have a doc take a looksy.

Rena

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
I thought about it, and if it gets any worse, I will. But having said that, I've looked into it and know what they'll do. First, they'll do an x-ray and then they schedule an MRI. I just can't afford that right now. I've got to get a crown on a tooth that's breaking down.

But thanks ladies -- if it gets any worse, I will have it checked out regardless.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »
Rena, do your sit ups in bed  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »
Rena, do your sit ups in bed  ;)

I might have to. Even so, I still have to do modified ones. Maybe someday I'll get back to doing them the correct way 100%. Not much they can do for coccyx pain anyway. They can do surgery to remove the part that's sticking out too far, but that sounds more painful than the problem.

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:13:39 AM »
Rena your coccyx is part of your spine... it might be a matter of you just being out of adjustment and it's pressing on nerves?  Just a thought.  Especially when it isn't associated with a fall that you know of...  Maybe a visit to a chiropractor would be of some help?  It couldn't hurt  ;D

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
Rena your coccyx is part of your spine... it might be a matter of you just being out of adjustment and it's pressing on nerves?  Just a thought.  Especially when it isn't associated with a fall that you know of...  Maybe a visit to a chiropractor would be of some help?  It couldn't hurt  ;D

Oh..good call TooSweet! That might be it Rena. Try a chiropractor first, might really help!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 11:26:48 PM »
You should get that checked out.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
I agree, Rena!... A chiropractor is a much safer option than surgery.
Many spinal surgeries have painful complications.

Sadly, many doctors do not like to refer patients to chiropractors.
If yours is like that, ask people you know and trust for a referral.
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
My husband had spinal fusion surgery, so I know how horrible that is. My pain, however, only happens when the bone is actually being pressed onto something hard. It doesn't bother me any other time, so I don't think there's anything going on with the nerves. Of course, I could be wrong!

I've lost a lot of weight before (63 pounds in the 90s) and I've noticed that my body has changed this time. I don't just mean in the weight area, but shape, and so forth. I'm also exercising a lot more this time. It could be that I had this problem when I lost weight before, but it never surfaced much because I had my boys in 1999 and 2002.

Like I said, if it becomes a problem, I'll have it checked. I thought it was interesting how none of the articles really referred to the pain coming from weight-loss, although TONS of people left comments that it did for them. Interesting.