Author Topic: I need to know how to make perfect boiled eggs  (Read 5138 times)

joagain

I need to know how to make perfect boiled eggs
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »
Everytime I make them , when I go to peel them it takes have the white off they look like they have been pecked by a biga@@ bird or something . This is how I cook them

I put them in a pot cover them with water bring water to a boil cover remove from heat leave them in the water for 13 min.  Then I run cold water on them and peel . If I cook 10 I might get 5 out of them that look ok .

WTH someone help me  >:( :( ??? ::) :P

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: I need to know how to make perfect boiled eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
Fresh eggs peel much easier than older eggs  ;)  Place eggs in sauce pan in a single layer, cover with enough cold water to be 2 inches above the shells. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. As soon as the water starts to boil, remove pan from heat and let the eggs stand in hot water for 16 minutes. Drain off hot water and cover with cold water and some ice cubes. Let stand until eggs are completely cooled. Peel eggs under running water and pat dry.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
That's the same thing I do -- run cold water on them and then dump a whole bunch of ice cubes on them. I don't know why, but the ice makes a difference. Mine used to do the same as yours and it was frustrating not being able to peel them.

joagain

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »
Thanks Guys will try that next time

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
me too Jo.. >:( >:( >:( >:(  I have decided to buy Eggies.. it lets you put the egg inside and its cooks it in the shape of an egg.. no more peeling... It will help me in the am for sure
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

joagain

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:04:07 PM »
save you money alex they are not worth it . when you try to crack the egg in it it goes all over the place and then when you take them out of the eggie thing they are flat at the top you could never make deviled eggs with them . I guess just to eat them its ok .

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:20:26 AM »
LOL joagain,

I've always had problems with boiling eggs, even had my mom write it down for me years ago.  I cheat.  My local store has bags of boiled eggs, already cooked and pealed.  They are packaged by Egglands (South Carolina) and have 0 carbs.  I love em, great for me. :D
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

joagain

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:35:58 AM »
Hey that is what I need LOL are they where the eggs are ? Do they stay fresh for a few days or do you have to eat them quick ,you know to many eggs to close together  :P

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:42:50 AM »
The ones I buy are on the top shelf just above the cartons of eggs.  I always check the dates and usually they indicate that they are good for about 2 weeks.  There are 10 medium eggs in the bag.  I just looked and on the bag it says to use within 7 days after opening.  I had 4 left the other day and the expiration was 07-26.  It was a couple days past the expiration and I went ahead and used a couple.  Those dates are suggested "use by" dates.  They were still good but I did toss the last 2.  I have them on my list to buy today.  If you make egg salad you would use them faster than me.  I use them for a "snack" with salt and pepper.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
My pal Steve was bragging last week how he's discovered not only how to cook the perfect har boiled egg but also that the eggs almost peel themselves  :o

He uses his pressure cooker! Here's the method;

You need a pressure cooker that can cook between 8-10 pounds of pressure

1- Put some water in the pot, don't go over the rack
2- Prop the eggs up on the rack pointy side up, TIP- (Steve uses small rocks to nestle them in)
3- Bring the pressure cooker up to 8-10 pounds. When at pressure cook for 8 minutes then remove from heat
4- Let the pot cool by itself, when the pressure dissipates open the pot and submerge the eggs in ice water.
5- Steve tells me that when you crack the egg it will actually shoot out of the shell, the first one he peeled hit the wall  :o :o :o

Make sure to report back with your experience.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »
LOL joagain,

I've always had problems with boiling eggs, even had my mom write it down for me years ago.  I cheat.  My local store has bags of boiled eggs, already cooked and pealed.  They are packaged by Egglands (South Carolina) and have 0 carbs.  I love em, great for me. :D
. These are the best!  I have failed at hardboiled eggs too.  I think they are worth the money.

Rena

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »
I've seen special machines that cook eggs at kitchen speciality shops. I'm guessing they work a lot like the pressure cookers.

Even so, the ICE is what does the trick for mine. I had the same problem and it was making me nuts. Here I am 46 years old and couldn't make a perfect hard-boiled egg. I heard about setting them in ice for awhile and it really worked. I rinse them in cold water first and then dump the ice in that. I usually forget about them for awhile. Sure enough -- they peel perfectly. Weird ... after all those years of fighting with those stupid eggs. Ha!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
Hi Jo! :)

It's the rapid cooling from the ice that helps separate the cooked egg from the egg membrane (sack) and shell.
When it rapidly gets cold, I think the cooked egg "meat" contracts and causes this separation.

On the subject of boiling eggs... To help prevent cracking;

Put a couple of inches of water in the pan BEFORE adding the eggs.
And when adding them, CAREFULLY put them in one at a time GENTLY.

Often the slightest knock on the shell will start a hairline crack which will rupture when boiled.
Which I suppose is fine if you like quasi poached eggs. :D
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
Well  I am for sure going to try the ice next time , I dont have a pressure cooker ,so cant try that. Tony the last time I made them one had a crack it look like I was making egg drop soup  :D

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »
I read somewhere that if you add a small amount of vinegar to the water cracked eggs won't seep! ;)