Author Topic: so I am not a good baker so I  (Read 4881 times)

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
so I am not a good baker so I
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
thinking of investing on a bread maker to make low carb breads for hubby...thoughts?
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

joagain

Re: so I am not a good baker so I
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Well Alex I have found that I can cook pretty good and have really cooked alot since being on FTS ,with all of Dougs & the forums recipes .

But I have also found out that sadly I am not a baker .  :'( :'( The last attempt was the Banana Nut bread (1 TRy),   I have tried the homemade biscuits ,the spinach bread the chocolate cake (made it 2 times ). Red velvet cake (it tasted good but did not rise & the icing was not good )One other bread .
  They either dont rise ,overflow ,burn on the outside runny on the inside  ,taste gritty ..
  Whatever the reason I can no longer waste money trying to be a baker , Probably dont need baked goods around here anyway .
 I can make Tylers brownies ,ice cream cakes or sandwichs and PB cookies & my Mistake bread . So That is all the baking I will do . Sorry I got so long winded Alex I dont know how they work or if they are expensive I am sure someone will let you know if you have to be a baker to use a bread machine , I would think that you need to be .

Rena

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:46:52 AM »
In all honesty, I haven't tried many of the breads on this forum or in the cookbook yet. I usually just make the One Minute Muffin into bread, muffins, buns, or pancakes. But we do have a bread maker and my husband uses it for the low-carb Red Bob Mills bread mix. It turns out really well. I think a lot of Umpa's recipes are lower carb though, but I don't know if she has some that work in a machine.

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »
Thanks girls.. The only baking item I ve tried is the PB cookies and though good, they crumbled...lol.. I cook well but have a difficulty with some things such as the cauli mash.. Im so wanting to master it and havent even been able too..  :-[

Jo, tell me about your mistake bread..  Rena, I saw that hot dog bun you made one day..  :o very cool
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »
Hi Alex!  I haven't tried the bread recipes either, but like Rena, I LOVE that one minute muffin now.  You can make it so many ways as a sweet thing or as a bun for sandwiches.  The past 2 mornings, I have made it using vanilla flavoring and unsweetened coconut. Then I topped it with cream cheese.  SO good and filling too!!

joagain

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »
Alex here is the link 

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2285.0

I wish I liked the one minuite muffin . I read on other low carb you either like them or cant stand them I guess I am one of the few that can stand them . I have tried them with sweet stuff with alty stuff toasted with cream cheeese ,ccoco  I am just not a OMM kind a girl . Maybe it was  cause I loved bread so much , I keep comparing it to bread . The link I gave you is so good to me that I dont make it often . If you know what I mean , if you try it let me know .  Spray your pan VERY WELL so it will not  stick and watch after 5 minuites .

owensmath

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 07:49:48 PM »
All this talk about bread made me want some. I googled low carb bread machine recipe and found the following recipe on www.food.com.
It is in the bread machine right now! I substituted xylitol for splenda and added about 1/8 cup of flax seeds for texture.

About This Recipe
"I found this recipe on the Low Carb Friends forum some time ago. I've baked this bread many times, and it's very good! The whole loaf only contains about 20 carbs, so when you slice it, divide the total carbs by the number of slices. (I usually get about 10 slices, which only amounts to 2 carbs per slice!) If the lid of your bread machine lifts slightly during the last 15 minutes of baking time, don't worry; when the bread is baked, the lid will lower. I prefer to eat this bread toasted slightly, and buttered."
Ingredients
1/2 cup water 1 eggs 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute 1/3 cup ground flax seeds 1/4 cup soy flour 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour 1 teaspoon dried yeast Directions
Using a 1 pound capacity bread machine, combine ingredients according to order given in bread machine manual.
Select 'light' browning setting.
Don't remove bread until it is cooled.
Cut into slices, and store, covered, in the refrigerator.

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:05:27 AM »
I have only fixed the one minute muffin twice.  I fixed it last night and used the Tbl of SF syrup.  Had to microwave a couple seconds longer so it wasn't runny.  Cut it in half and shared with my hubby.  Topped with fresh strawberries sweetened with xylitol and then some Land Lakes whipped topping.  Hubby was surprised how filling.  I'm ready to try it different ways now.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

owensmath

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 07:30:49 AM »
I have put SF jelly on it and then the Land O Lakes on top, and repeated with another layer. It's like a layered cake and is really good.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 08:58:42 AM »
Wow Donna that sounds great!  We need a picture of that!   Oh, and Suzlyn, it actually takes a whole TWO minutes for the "1 minute muffin" to get perfect in my microwave.  It's an old one, but as long as it still works, we just keep using it.  ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:43:19 AM »
Donna, how'd the machine bread come out?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

chattycathie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »
Since I started FTS, I have practically had the One Minute Muffin everyday.   :) I've made a waffle, pancakes, bannana nut muffins, egg/cheese/sausage muffin, plain sandwich size for "lunch" bread, etc.  I have made strawberry short cake using sugar-free strawberry jam and SF jello mixed with fresh strawberries and then A squirt of whipped cream on top.  YUM!  I am a professional "scratch" cook.  I really, really miss good yeast bread and home-made pies with fruit fillings.  I can live without fresh fruit, but pies are a different story.  I have not found a yeast bread recipe that tastes good enough for me.  I've tried a couple of the FTS recipes and they went into the trash can right away along with the soy flour.  :(

snobles

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »
@Alex, my mom had a bread maker for years, and loved hers. Grant she was skinny as a bean pole, and wasn't on F2S. But she loved her bread maker!

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »
Ok so here is one I found - have not tried it and honestly, it has an awful lot of odd ingredients.  I found all but the wheat protein isolate at my Vitamin Cottage, and none was very expensive there.  Just throwing it out there, if ya wanna try it!
Maple Oat Bread
7 oz water                  ¼ c wheat germ
2 tsp SF pancake syrup               2 tbsp ground flaxseed
¾ c wheat gluten               1 tbsp oat flour
½ c wheat protein isolate            ¼ tsp salt
¼ c rolled oats                  1 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp wheat bran               2 tsp (1 packet) active baker’s yeast
Put ingredients in bread machine in order given.  Run through2 knead and rise cycles on bread machine.  After second rise, let bake.  Remove promptly and allow to cool before slicing and/or wrapping.  12 slices, 3g net carbs/ slice.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »
Ok so here is one I found - have not tried it and honestly, it has an awful lot of odd ingredients.  I found all but the wheat protein isolate at my Vitamin Cottage, and none was very expensive there.  Just throwing it out there, if ya wanna try it!
Maple Oat Bread
7 oz water                  ¼ c wheat germ
2 tsp SF pancake syrup               2 tbsp ground flaxseed
¾ c wheat gluten               1 tbsp oat flour
½ c wheat protein isolate            ¼ tsp salt
¼ c rolled oats                  1 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp wheat bran               2 tsp (1 packet) active baker’s yeast
Put ingredients in bread machine in order given.  Run through2 knead and rise cycles on bread machine.  After second rise, let bake.  Remove promptly and allow to cool before slicing and/or wrapping.  12 slices, 3g net carbs/ slice.

Hi Jen, :)

Be careful with rolled oats, wheat bran, and oat flour.
Everywhere I looked said they are VERY high in net carbs!
What you do today is what matters!