Author Topic: Today's Temptations  (Read 20168 times)

jacksprattswife

• View Profile
Today's Temptations
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Has anybody come across Today's Temptations bread?  It seems too good to be true.  Low fat, sugar free, etc. only 2 net grams of carb per slice and it tastes good!

JSW

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Re: Today's Temptations
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
Not yet...in SC, where are you that you found it?  LOL does sound too good to be true. Will google this.
Looks like it is made in Chicago area
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/todays-temptations-whole-wheat-low-carb-bread-12696327
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:41:28 PM by suzlyn454 »
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
It seems Today's Temptations, Inc. was issued a warning letter from the FDA about mislabeling this bread in March 2010.

See: http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm207095.htm

I've tried to locate the ingredients list. But can't find it.
If you have your hands on a loaf, check the first three (3) ingredients on that list.
If ANY of them are known high carb sources, do not buy it!

Given their propensity to not label accurately, I'd be suspicious anyway.
So IMHO, it probably is too good to be true.
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:29:21 AM »
Whole Wheat Low Carb Bread????? Sorry,ain't happening ::)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
Whole Wheat Low Carb Bread????? Sorry,ain't happening ::)

I agree, Umpa!

Whole Wheat = High Carbs!
Always has... Always will.

jacksprattswife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
Hi Everyone!  I'm just back from vacation so only just replying to your questions. I just purchased another loaf of Today's Temptations bread so I can give you the skinny on it~!

There are several different versions of it.  I purchased the Whole Grain Lo-Carb/Hi Fiber version.  Ingredients as follows:

Crushed Wheat, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Wheat Flour, Maltitol Syrup, Yeast, Bran, Oatmeal, Multigrain, Rye Chops, Malted barley, Gluten, Canola Oil, Salt, Eggs.

Nutritional facts

Serving size approx one slice

Calories 45, Calories from fat 5

Total fat 0.5g

Sat Fat 0 grams

Trans fat 0g

cholesterol 0 mg

Sodium 105 mg

Total Carbs 6 g

Dietary fiber 4 g

Sugars 0 g

Protein 5 g

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »
Hi Everyone!  I'm just back from vacation so only just replying to your questions. I just purchased another loaf of Today's Temptations bread so I can give you the skinny on it~!

There are several different versions of it.  I purchased the Whole Grain Lo-Carb/Hi Fiber version.  Ingredients as follows:

Crushed Wheat, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Wheat Flour, Maltitol Syrup, Yeast, Bran, Oatmeal, Multigrain, Rye Chops, Malted barley, Gluten, Canola Oil, Salt, Eggs.

Nutritional facts

Calories 45, Calories from fat 5
Total fat 0.5g
Sat Fat 0 grams
Trans fat 0g
cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 105 mg
Total Carbs 6 g
Dietary fiber 4 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 5 g

Hi jacksprattswife! :)

Of the top three ingredients, two of them are very high in net carbs.
My label reading policy for low carb is to avoid any prepackaged foods where one (or more) of the top three ingredients is high net carbs.

And when you consider that the FDA is not very picky about correctly labeling carb counts.
And the FDA has already warned the company about product mislabeling,
I WOULD NOT BUY their bread!

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
How do you get  
 LOL  So if I want to eat one whole slice am I over a serving??  Seems to me they are leaving a gray area  ;) Not sure I would trust them I think Tony is right  :)

jacksprattswife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »
Hi!

There are 19 servings in the loaf.  You know how some loaves of bread start and end small and then get bigger in the middle.?  That's why the serving is approximately one slice.  I have not noticed my blood sugar spike with this product.  I just got so sick of the low carb wraps.

I'll let you know how it goes with this product.

One slice of  bread per day does not seem too restrictive to me.

JSW

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »
LOL  I was just amused at the wording that some companies use to get by with their labeling.  It gets frustrating when they try to fool the consumer.  I'm glad to hear that you don't get a spike.... that is sure more telling than anything that could be listed on the label.  ;)  I do understand being tired of the wraps  ;D ;D  One thing for sure is we never know how good something is until we try them.  A piece of toast with my eggs in the morning once in a while would be really nice  :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
... I have not noticed my blood sugar spike with this product.  I just got so sick of the low carb wraps.

I'll let you know how it goes with this product.

One slice of  bread per day does not seem too restrictive to me.

JSW

Hi jacksprattswife! :)

I'm happy to hear that they do not make your blood sugar spike.
Judging from the ingredients list, I would have thought it would.

So, I would say that this particular bread is OK for us to try.
But since no two of us are alike, if any of us has a stall out or gain, I would not eat it for awhile to see what happens.

I may order a loaf to see how it goes for me.
I always enjoy it when someone else does my low carb cooking or baking! ;)

chattycathie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
Hi everyone!  Sara Lee's 100% Whole Wheat 45 calories per slice bread is only 5g per slice.

Label says:  Total fat 5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 80mg, Carbohydrates 7g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g, Protien 3g

Wouldn't this make one slice about 5g???  Sooooo???? Easy to find in any grocery store.  If it doesn't spike your blood sugars, one slice now and then???  You could try it.  BUT if you are really trying to drop the weight fast you might not want to try it yet.  Maybe later on??  Have a happy day! :) :) :) :) :)

Wonka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
I know someone mentioned above it has impacted their blood sugar but it sure has impacted mine. This is something I typed on another forum, instead of retyping, this is a copy and paste.

I have serious concerns about the labeling on Today's Temptations "Low-Carb / High Fiber" bread.

They say total carbs is 6g but according to my blood sugar tests, it is my opinion that it's a minimum of 15g per slice. (I am being generous, maybe closer to 20) The kicker is they say 2g net carb. Again, I believe a minimum of 15 net carb. (So their total carb is even higher)

I was excited this week to start using this bread, but after doing glucose tests, it is my opinion they are flat out wrong about the amount of carbs in their bread. It's not just the whole net carbs, it is the total carbs in general. Severely mislabeled in my opinion.

(I am not implying their mislabeling is intentional, I am just saying it is my belief it is seriously wrong. I am warning all insulin users to be extremely careful with this bread.)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Wonka.  Thanks for your input on this product.  I believe it is available in the midwest so many of our forum members will be unfamiliar with it.

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum Wonka  :)  Thanks for your input.  Sadly some of the products out there that are listed as low carb will spike your sugar.  Many of the atkin bars and such do that to me as well.   :-\  The best way to choose is to always read the ingredient list as well as the nutritional values.  If the first 3 items listed are known for high carbs.... I wouldn't buy it.  I like to make my own at home that way I know what is in there  ;)   Again welcome to the FTS forum family  ;D