Author Topic: Diet + Exercise (that you can tolerate) = even more success  (Read 8861 times)

guypacot

• View Profile
    • Guy's Weight Loss Story
Diet + Exercise (that you can tolerate) = even more success
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »
I'm feeling so much better these days that in addition to my 5x/week morning cardio/resistance training I've been adding another 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer at the Fire Station where I work.  I've been doing this now for two weeks and just weighed myself again last night and lost another 6 lbs.

Let me stress that I have not taken this weight loss as license to augment my diet with additional carbs.  I know myself all too well and I cannot allow myself even one minute of diet-conscience-lapse or I will spiral downward very quickly.  What I am saying is that as we feel better, we can add additional exercise into our regimens and experience not just more weight loss, but more energy, strength, and general well-being.

I also want to say that given my plethora of health problems that if I can do this, anyone can.

Don't let temporary setbacks sidetrack you from your ultimate goals.  I have diet and exercise accountability partners (that's why I go to our community rec center to work out) and that helps keep me on the straight and narrow.  If you find yourself struggling, get some good friends involved in those areas.  Goals are nothing without accountability.
Over 50, 5'11" and weigh 275.  I've been as high as 353.  I have Type II Diabetes, borderline HBP, back and abdominal issues.  It's time to be disciplined and get the weight off and I have the tools I need now.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Diet + Exercise (that you can tolerate) = even more success
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »
Kudos to you, Guy! :) :) :)
I'm happy to hear about your improved health and commitment to keeping it... After all, that's why we are living this way! ;)
What you do today is what matters!

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »
Well said Guy!
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »
I agree.... well said!!  We are all here for eachother  ;)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »
I am hoping I get the same results as you Guypacot!   Last Wednesday, I started going to our local college track at 6:15am every morning (except Sunday) and walking!  This is all NEW for me, because I've always hated exercise.  I started out doing one mile, but for the past couple days I have walked 2 miles!  It really is neat to be out there on the track for the sunrise!  I really feel GREAT, and I'm sleeping like a baby at night!   I sure hope it shows up on the scale by this weekend.   ;D

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:42:11 PM »
You go Jan!!!  Wow 2 miles!!!  I wish I could do that  ;) ;)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:19:52 AM »
Maddysmom,

You go girl.  Just remember 2 things, exercise while building muscle (earlier post from Mouseissue) can cause you to gain because muscle is heavier than fat.  Also when I exercise I hold water while my body trys to repair itself.  My morning pool exercises are wonderful.  Like you it's neat to be outside early morning.  It's refreshing and a great way to start the day.  I was telling TooSweet yesterday since starting FTS I am "dreaming" again.  That tells me I am sleeping harder LOL.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

guypacot

• View Profile
    • Guy's Weight Loss Story
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:31:16 AM »
For those who currently experience knee, hip, and ankle joint pain from walking try using a regular elliptical trainer (level footsteps, not angled).  With my three back surgeries (one of them a lower-lumbar fusion) my back hurts way worse when I walk and the elliptical is virtually pain-free for me.

Also get the fat burning cardio-range for you height/weight/age and stay there until it becomes so easy that you need to increase your pace/resistance to keep your heart up at that pace.  This is also good for those who have higher heart rates due to health issues (I was one of them).

Have a great day guys!

Guy
Over 50, 5'11" and weigh 275.  I've been as high as 353.  I have Type II Diabetes, borderline HBP, back and abdominal issues.  It's time to be disciplined and get the weight off and I have the tools I need now.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
Guy I am so happy for you! You have taken control of your life and your health! Suzilyn mouseissue is right muscle weighs more than fat,but it also burns more calories/carbs than fat. :) When you tune up your car(body) it is more efficient!