Author Topic: In a slump  (Read 3708 times)

marylepera

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - lepera.mary
    • View Profile
    • Email
In a slump
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
Hi,  I know I'm always posting how great my son (Joe) is doing, but... I have not said how I'm doing.  I'm not doing as well as I would like to be.  I'm sticking to my food lists, but I'm not losing.

Any ideas?  I even exercise every day on my tread mill as well as do a buns and thigh workout. I'm not even losing inches.  The first 7 pounds came off without a hitch... now I'm stuck!  HELP!

I don't know what to do..

Thank you for your help.

Mary

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: In a slump
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »
Keep cutting those carbs down until the scale starts to move. Get rid of any products with sugar alcohols, fruits, low carb breads, wine and any other alcoholic beverages and excess veggies.

Stick to proteins, fats and greens to force your body into using stored fat as fuel.

Watch your portions, only eat when you are truly hungry and follow the 15 minute rule before eating seconds  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

marylepera

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - lepera.mary
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »

Thanks Doug,

I did start eating sugar free candy and it does have a lot of Sugar Alcohol.  I am stopping that right now!  Thanks for the feed back it is so helpful.

Mary 

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »
Hi Mary

I thought I might add that you can list your menu for a couple of days.  There might be something in there that you are missing or like Doug said the portion size might be creeping up??     I'm bad about that one myself....I get lazy and eyeball it instead of measuring or weighing things.  It always helps to have a second eye looking at it though.   I have also stopped writing everything down and tend to taste test while cooking  ::).....not good for me   LOL  The other thing that I am guilty of and might help is making sure you are drinking plenty of water.  It's hard to say why sometimes we loose slow or stop.  I always figure my body is just relocating things....LOL  also remember that sometimes males tend to loose faster than we do.... or so I have heard not to mention if you are compairing yourself to your sons loss (and you shouldn't)  he is a bit younger than you.   ;)    

Believe me the SF candy is my biggest down fall for sure!!   I love the Russell Stover chocolates.  While I was back home on vacation I stopped at a Russell Stover outlet store.  Man I'll not do that again!!  LOL ( I love to buy their bloopers.  ::)  )  I'm way better off not having them on hand.   ;)  Hang in there girl and stay the course!!  We are right here with you  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:10:13 AM by TooSweet »

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:00:12 AM »
Toosweet, I used to be hooked on the Russell Stover's sugar free candy until I found something I like even BETTER!  Omg....have you tried the sugar free DOVE dark chocolate?  It is amazing.  One good thing is that it is a little more expensive than the Russell Stovers.  That discourages me from buying it very often. ha ha

I do agree that the sugar alcohols will slow the weight loss.  I have found that I do much better to leave it off or just have it maybe once a week.   ;)

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
No I haven't tried those.....Oh geez that is just what I need....LOL   I found that if I keep mine in the freezer I am less tempted.  SF candy freezes pretty hard.... you can break a tooth if you don't take the time to thaw.   :P :P  That cuts down on impulse munching...LOL   But really it is best if I don't have them at the house.... I find that I just think about them until they are gone  :-\   I really want to try some of Umpa's candies in the bakery book but I know I really don't need the temptation right now.  Maybe for the holidays........
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:33:46 AM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
At least the candies in the book are made with xylitol so they are good for your teeth! :D

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:34:56 AM »
 ;D ;D   Yes that is so true.....

joagain

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »
Is the sweets in the bakery book as bad on weight loss stalls as the RS candies

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »
That is a good question Jo...LOL  I wouldn't mind knowing that myself.....

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
Is the sweets in the bakery book as bad on weight loss stalls as the RS candies

Hi Jo! :)

Eating sugar alcohols (sweeteners) too often will slow (or stop) weight loss for many folks.
So if a recipe contains any sugar alcohols (like xylitol), eat them only occasionally.

Doug has said that sugar alcohols should be the first thing to go if you hit a plateau.
If your progress has stopped, try avoiding them altogether for a while and see what happens.

Also, don't forget about those 0 calorie soda pops with sweeteners.
They can effect your progress as well.
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
I was wondering if they xylitol was as bad as the malitol . And thank goodness I only have a can drink maybe once a week or so . I just eat to much FTS  food .

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »
I was wondering if they xylitol was as bad as the malitol . And thank goodness I only have a can drink maybe once a week or so . I just eat to much FTS  food .

Hi Jo! :)

I don't know if one is any better or worse than the other.
All I know is to watch out for them (or any other sweetener) if stalled out.

And Jo, if you know you're eating too much food, it's up to you to do something about it... No one else can.
Most likely, it is what's standing between you and that number on your ticker from getting lower.
Use Doug's 15 minute rule for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

hUgS... :)
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »
Yes it is Tony !!!

That is what I told my sister everyone has a choice . Until I make the choice to walk or cut calories my ticker will not move but one thing is for sure I will always eat this way .

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »
The difference is xylitol is natural,its birch bark.Stevia is a natural sweetner. Malitol is not.i can't eat malitol it makes me nauseous.The Bakery Book is to have replacements so you don't binge on high sugar foods when you are craving sweets.In moderation they will not hurt you,but sweets are not a food group :D Now those cans of diet soda made with splenda are 1 carb each.Remember one yellow packet of splenda is one carb.I find when I have sweets in the house i don't want them as often.Its when I don't i start to crave them. ;)